HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
Discussion
AIR HOGS TITAN wildhawk conversion

My friend recently gave me his cheap crappy electronics that he ripped out of his wildhawk, and asked me to make something with ailerons. Now i could have just put ailerons on the wildhawk, but that wouldn't be fun! So i picked up an air hogs titan glider from a local dollarama, and decided to stuff all those electronics into it. Lets see if it works!

BOX CONTENTS:

assembled glider:

center of gravity marked off:

Aileron servo hole cut out, and servo installed:

ailerons marked:

ailerons cut and attached:

main electronics compartment cut out:

Elevator cut:

Bamboo elevator reinforcement:

Elevator attached:

Engine mount (just like the wildhawk):

Motor installed with double sided tape (like the wildhawk):

Motor mount glued to its pedestal, and to the plane:

Elevator servo and connection:

Electronics jammed into their compartment in a messy way:

Video of the control surfaces:

The maiden flight should be tomorrow morning (weather permitting)
Il try to film it.
After mods the cg was 1cm behind the stock cg.
I dont know if it will fly it seems VERY heavy, and the motor is very weak, il weigh it and post the actual weight later.
Archer S is offline Find More Posts by Archer S
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:44 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
I'd be interested to see if that power system even has the power to make it fly on a downward slope...
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
yeah... its gona be quite a miracle if it flies
But then again its almost the same dimensions and weight as the actual wildhawk.
its gona be an interesting flight
Old May 07, 2010, 05:50 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,082 Posts
so is it flying??
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old May 08, 2010, 01:51 AM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
It takes forever for all the huge pics to load and then be resized for me on my slow Internet connection. But it did look like it would be interesting to see it fly but I havent seen the thread come back up till now.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Last edited by VROOMSTER; May 08, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old May 08, 2010, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
well i have not made a maiden yet, Since i finished building it its been very stormy and windy here. for over a week now i cant get it out and try to fly it. il surely post if it flies as soon as i get the chance
Old May 09, 2010, 10:41 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,170 Posts
Did it fly yet..?????????

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old May 10, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
i went out to maiden it this afternoon. it came really close to flying, but not quite. the first attempt was a bit windy, it came straight up, stalled and fell. No major damage (lucky i had tape with me at the field) for the second flight me and my friend waited for the wind to die down. It went pretty well for a good 10 seconds. the thing very slowly started getting altitude, and actually looked pretty stable. about half way down the field, with a total altitude gain of 2 meters or so, a slight breeze blew it sideways and it crashed. with full left aileron it still banked right too far to recover. It not completely trashed, but will definitely need major work to get it airworthy again (even remotely) il post pictures of it tomorrow. It felt like the torque of the motor contributed a lot to the crash, other than that im not really sure what happened. Does it need bigger ailerons? should i remove dihedral?
Old May 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer S View Post
It felt like the torque of the motor contributed a lot to the crash, other than that im not really sure what happened. Does it need bigger ailerons? should i remove dihedral?
I highly doubt it. From your initial description of the plane's behavior, I'd say the plane is very much tail heavy. This plane was originally a foam glider; it should still glide if you give it a toss. Does it? If it glides just fine but does weird things with the motor on, you may need to add down thrust, which in your case means you aim the motor so the prop is pushing up slightly.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old May 11, 2010, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
14 Posts
it still glides (not as well as it used too because its heavier) but it glides straight, does not stall. The CG is moved back about 1cm from its original position. I think i moved the motor back a bit too far, but when gliding it didn't exhibit any adverse effects.

now the down thrust, that's a good idea. The motor was already angled down just a tiny bit, but i realize now that since its a pusher, it was actually up thrust.

The rebuild will have down thrust instead, proper cg (right where it was stock), and i think bigger ailerons and elevator would benefit it.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:28 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
Air Hogs Titan fans!!! I'm trying to get us all to share ideas, mods, tips, and designs on one thread! Check out the "Air hogs titan glider bashing/rc conversion thread!!!"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246101
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice