HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
Romans 8:28
California
Joined Mar 2010
402 Posts
Poll
Tamiya Wild One- To build or not to build?

My brother found this on e-bay in 2003. He gave it to me as a coming home present when I returned from Iraq. As it stands now, most of my R/C car projects are complete, and this thing is staring me down. So what do you guys think? Should I:

a) Leave it in the box.

b) Build and paint it per the instructions and leave it on the shelf.

c) Paint it any color I want and run it!

peacekeeper94 is offline Find More Posts by peacekeeper94
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:28 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Anything you do to it other than "a" will only decrease it's value.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
721 Posts
I bet Tamiya itself doesn't even remember creating this kit.
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
California
Joined Mar 2010
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Anything you do to it other than "a" will only decrease it's value.

John

If I won't make me enough money to quit my job and move to Mammoth, then I don't care.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Mesquite Tx
Joined Dec 2007
237 Posts
Build it,run it,enjoy it,,,.

I had the Fast Attack and it was a blast!

Have fun.
blkft1 is offline Find More Posts by blkft1
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:52 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacekeeper94 View Post
If I won't make me enough money to quit my job and move to Mammoth, then I don't care.
That's funny. I would have a hard time keeping my dirty mitts off of it. Keep the box in good shape. If you build it at least post some pics of the build
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old May 27, 2010, 11:13 AM
California
Joined Mar 2010
402 Posts
I like blkft1's way of thinking, and since THIS fell into my lap, I just gotta build it!

I was looking for used radio gear in the classifieds and came across stevester's add for a NIB boat kit with a vintage 70's Futaba radio. I asked if I could purchase just the radio. He said 'no'.....then GAVE it to me free of charge. So it seems only fit that these two gifts of kindness come together.

I plan on putting it all together this summer, so I'll make a blog showing it off as I go. Of course, it will be a runner, but I think a light runner only (beach, sand, prepared tracks).

Thank you again Jason and Steve, for your generosity and kindness.

gby
Last edited by peacekeeper94; May 27, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 01:11 PM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
Considering what it is, I'd have a hard time building this kit. I'd shelve it as is. for continued investment, but then I'm out of work. On the other hand, if it were out of the the packaging and the box was ripped and stained..then it would get built into a shelf queen. If money were no object, I'd find the fastest motor that would fit in there...get it rip roaring to go and drive over to the beach!....that one looks like fun, but it's all about priorities.

Lest we not forget it is a gift to be enjoyed, but it might be prudent to take note as to what an original NIB is going for these days.
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old May 28, 2010, 03:54 AM
California
Joined Mar 2010
402 Posts
I haven’t seen a NIB Wild One on e-bay for a while. It’s not one of the ‘legendary’ cars like the Bruiser or Sand Scorcher, but it’s not at the bottom of the list either. Last I saw they were going for around $300.00. Radios don’t do much with age due to technology. No one wants an old radio in a new ride, but for my Wild One, the Futaba will be perfect!.

It’s funny you mentioned making it a ‘shelf queen’. My brother gave me a new built, never run Tamiya Road Wizard a few years ago. Total shelf queen....until I ran it! I just believe that’s what they were meant for. So a few days ago I was running it and chipped two teeth of the spru gear. I was bummed! I’ve been bouncing all over the internet trying to find a new one. But the fact is, even if it never runs again, I enjoyed it a lot more than if I’d just looked at it on a shelf. I won’t be here forever, and neither will they, so I might as well enjoy them till I ‘go home’ for good.

Like my Sand Scorcher, F-150, and original Blackfoot, the Wild One will be a soft runner. I’ll run it at the beach, or at the park where it won’t get seriously damaged. I’ll probably paint it per the box art as well, which is something I’ve only done once (Lunchbox). gby
Last edited by peacekeeper94; Jul 12, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 28, 2010, 04:22 AM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
I think you have your answer then...build it...post it...run it.
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old May 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Mesquite Tx
Joined Dec 2007
237 Posts
Looks cool,does that radio being old does it have the square or splined outputs on the servo's?My FAV use to run a Kyosho 360LeMans [oldie] with no issues not sure what the turns on that one was but the shafts never gave out,then again any 27T ROAR will probably suffice. I also ran a beater Duratrax Blast ESC under the box behind the driver [small holes for wires],theres smaller esc's out now if you dont want to run the MSC.

Cant wait to see this bad boy built up.
blkft1 is offline Find More Posts by blkft1
Old May 29, 2010, 05:05 AM
California
Joined Mar 2010
402 Posts
I haven't popped off the servo heads yet, but I think they are round. The plugs are 'G' type. I'm going to keep it totally stock, so I'll be using the stock motor and MSC. Of the 12 rides that I have, I think 7 of them have the stock 540 motors and 4 of those use the stock MSC's. (Who does that anymore?!? )

Just checked. The rotators on top of the servos are square. It's older than I thought.
Last edited by peacekeeper94; May 31, 2010 at 01:19 AM.