HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
Discussion
F-20 Drawings and Data

The Northrop F-20 Tigershark has always been a favourite topic of mine and I would like to gather enough information to commence a 90mm scale project.

I have access to all the usual places for information like fas.org and wiki however, the detail is insufficient for a scale or near scale subject.

Any assistance in accessing high quality 3 view drawings, dimensions, walk arounds and in particular - 3D models would be most appreciated.

I am hoping that all this information will eventually result in a high quality 90mm composite EDF kit built either in Australia or the USA.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,763 Posts
i might be up for that, seeing that i work for Northrop ,man it was a bad day when we herd the F-20 was done....it was like someone died. when a plane was as good as that thing was it is always a shame. where ever Sky world got there info to make there 70mm f-20 the fuse lines are right on the money . as a model the wing on a F-20 model needs to be fudged some ..mostly the airfoil and thickness for reasons to make off the shelf gear fit ect .and because of reynolds numbers.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 24, 2010, 03:52 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,629 Posts
J,
This will be a great place to get "Everthing you ever wanted to know about the F-20 Tigershark" .

Gary
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:02 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,454 Posts
Maybe this 3-view will help?
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:01 AM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
thorpe brothers had plans for F-20 too, readily convertble to EDF too!
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
I really need to finish my 480 sized build. The problem is it's 480 sized and I like bigger airplanes. The nozzle area was giving me fits, there's a curve before you get to the actual nozzle and I was undecided on how to tackle that area so I shortened the fuselage sides a bit. I think I'll just use Dow blue foam to make the compound curve, maybe even the nozzle too.

I found the F-20 plans that are out there on the net and that the HET F-20 is clearly based on, but I didn't like them. The side profile is wrong behind the canopy (the canopy bulkhead should be a bit higher) and the fuse cross section at the leading edge of the inlet is squared off at the bottom so it meets the inlet and that just makes things looks weird. Also, my biggest beef, the bend in the fuselage side at the base of the canopy line...that bend continues STRAIGHT back along the turtledeck for a few inches or so and gradually disappears into a flat or semi curved surface. The HET F-20 has that line going outward and downward to the next bulkhead and it just looks terrible. Those were things I wanted to fix so I drew up my own plans, but they still need more work.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Apr 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
Thank you every one, I have some interest by high class builders to do the molds. I need to have enough data to get some high quality 3d CNC models made so that it can be machined or carved accurately. With some of the high power systems we have now, we should be able to even have the inlets very scale.

I have seen some flight sim 3d models but the skins don't seem very accurate. I have no doubt this will be a long term project, 12 months plus but I am sure the result will be worth it.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 07:43 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,763 Posts
Ed i found your cad drawing of the F-20 you gave Brent ...it is almost perfect to the SW F-20 ..the stock wing is huge compared to what you have drawn ,and the SW stabs are like 3/8" wider ,and the tail is shaped a bit different. the scale wing is really small
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
Dragon
Vancouver B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
216 Posts
Would drawings of the F-5E/F Tiger II be of any use?
I have the 1/48th Detail&Scale drawings.

Cheers Rob.
mech9 is offline Find More Posts by mech9
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,763 Posts
it's not really the same plane ...only a few parts where used from the F-5
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:43 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
it's not really the same plane ...only a few parts where used from the F-5
I was going to say what Rob did, it does look as if F-20 was derivative of F-5A/Bs....both look a lot close to each other, except one is twin engine and other is single with slightly different fin...
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:47 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,763 Posts
well it was first called the F-5 G but it is quite different , yes on the out side they look the same ,but if you look into it, it is a new palne.the nose, LEX and motor are the biggest difference. the GE 404 had 70% more thrust than the 2 motors combined in the F-5
Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:41 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
.............. and that might be one of the reasons it got canned. They tried new paint jobs and even cool music to sell this thing to the DoD but maybe it just didn't look that much more advanced than the F5 ??
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,381 Posts
I think is got canned because of politics. Chuck Yeager said it was the best jet fighter he'd ever flown. I love the F20, to me it's an F5 designed for EDF. Shame there aren't more colour schemes for it, but you can always do F5 schemes.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,763 Posts
Texas politics for sure.....GD and northrop had a long running fued that went all the way back to the YB-49......the F-16's that won the contract were junked only a few years after they first flew .....then the Gov. just bought more ...junk