HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2010, 06:02 PM
John Green
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2007
617 Posts
Shhhh,

I have my CG at 80mm from the leading edge of the wing. It seems to be a happy spot.
I have been using a dolly with separate receiver for takeoffs and it works well as long as the wind is mostly down the runway. The dolly sysrem only seems to work up to about 20 deg of crosswind, after that on rotation it spins around into the wind and faceplants.
John
PlumberJohn is offline Find More Posts by PlumberJohn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2010, 11:51 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Ok John..thanks for the cg info..I will try 80mm..I think with the Sniper,guys have been doing 90mm..80 will be easier to balance.. I have a pvc bungee launcher with some heavy duty tubing...works great on all my jets.
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old May 10, 2010, 12:32 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockshah View Post
LET ME KNOW> you guys have more talent, I will end up wrecking it anyways, I want the f-22 raptor. $120 shipped for the new silvia I have.
check ejf...they're having a kickass sale on het jets.
i'd sell you my het f20, but the wings and vert stab are glued on...would make shipping it a pita.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old May 10, 2010, 12:53 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=het+sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques.Eloff View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is another detailed build thread for the Sniper here on RCG? Before anyone accuses me of being "search button imparied", I have tried the google search option and all I get are "for-sale" adverts and a few other bits.

I did find this on the dark side but not much there, either:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8113974/tm.htm

I'm ready to throw my Sniper together, setup is:
Mega 16/25/2. This is very similar to your's, Shhhhh!, but slightly lower Kv and will probably be around 850W on 5S in a HET fan.
E-flight 60A ESC
5S 3200 (25C) made up of 1 x 3S 3200 in the nose, serialed with 2 x 2S 1600 in parallel either side of the ducting.
HS125's in the wing (probably overkill, would prefer smaller profile servos)

On the subject of wing warp, mine seem fine - have a small amount of wash-out on both sides. However, I am not very happy with the intake glass work on mine - very rough at the join to the fan.

Jacques
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:25 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
475 Posts
Started on my Silvia about a week ago and just found this thread. I've got the HET fan/Arc 28.47.1/HK SS100 installed, pondering on where to put the elevator servo? Cut the tail to 55mm. Planning on using flightmax 3000/4s/40c.
Looks like she's going to be about 850g without the batt. Pink file thrust tube, I like to see a nice pink hole from the back
Spadkun is offline Find More Posts by Spadkun
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:30 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,312 Posts
dont know what the stock output dia is on exhaust. but best "INFLIGHT" eflux should have a dia of 53-54mm on that 4s set up.
happy flying all!
Cheers!
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:38 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
475 Posts
pics
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadkun View Post
Started on my Silvia about a week ago and just found this thread. I've got the HET fan/Arc 28.47.1/HK SS100 installed, pondering on where to put the elevator servo? Cut the tail to 55mm. Planning on using flightmax 3000/4s/40c.
Looks like she's going to be about 850g without the batt. Pink file thrust tube, I like to see a nice pink hole from the back
Well I went for a Wemo thrust tube in mine. Phew! at least it's not brown!
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
557 Posts
Got my Sniper finished over the weekend. Progress had been stalled as I could not make up the 5S arrangement I was aiming for (1 x 3200 S in the nose, serialled with 2 x 1600 2S in parallel in the wing opening). I could only find 2 brands of Lipos that have packs in these size combinations and both were sold out. So decided to go with 6S and picked up 3 x Thunderpower 2650 2S 45C packs. Power is now 1360W at 62A, for 1510g thrust. Airframe mass is 800g, AUW with 6S 2650 is 1275g. Should be quick, but I'll need to use WOT conservatively, as I'll hurt that Mega.

I spent some time trying to figure out how to use carbon tube reinforcing in the wing, while still maintaining dihedral. In the end I used 5/32" wire as a joiner, with dihedral bent in. The wire is glued in the carbon tubes and I have also used some brass tubing around the carbon at the inboard section, to stop it from splitting. I also used the pesky wood joiner for what it's worth and the wing feels pretty strong altogether. Carbon was Gorilla glued in the wing. Total weight of wire joiner and brass tube is only about 25g.

Hope to maiden soon.

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Last edited by Jacques.Eloff; Jun 06, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
That's a funny looking Silvia!
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:11 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
475 Posts
Making slow progress with Silvia!
Got the canopy and the battery to finish. I went for the elevator servo on the outside, I also added some ply with epoxy and micro ballons where the wing pegs reside.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
I am still working on my Silvia..haven't given up,lol... Will post some photos later on in the week. I placed the elevator servo next to the fan. The kit comes with some nyrod tubing and a linkage arm ..so that is what I used. Also used a clear thrust tube,lol...
-Dave
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:01 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
475 Posts
Oh Silvia!
The maiden didn't go well She spun in to the right. All ready to go again now. She is pulling her own weight just over half throttle, so I'll try the vertical chuck next time. Waiting for the weather to break. It's rainy season here!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:13 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
So you did the Sherlock even with the bunghee hook installed
I'd like to see a video of the vertical handlaunch. Is that possible?

all the best!

Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jun 27, 2010, 02:21 AM
Englishman in Japan
Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Joined Nov 2003
475 Posts
She flies!
Sorry no video There was only one other guy at the field this morning. After a quick shower we got some blue sky and he kindly offered to launch. He gave her a gentle upward lob about 5 degree off vertical. She went straight up for 15 feet before nosing down. A frantic few seconds of struggling left and right before I could hit the dual rate switch for the ailerons and we were flying. I am using the settings from the Sniper manual. Had to add loads of up trim and a bit of right.
My cg was set at 75mm and she was nose heavy with about 1mm of up trim on the elevator, going to have to add some more lead to her rear to hit the 80mm mark. Already have 25g. Total weight is now 1291g and the Arc 28.47.1 /HET is pulling 90A on Flightmax 4s/3000/40c.
At a guess she was doing about 120mph on the fast passes. Seemed to hit a wall at that speed, not much difference between 3/4 and full throttle even though I could hear the fan revs increase. Bit of a hot landing with no wind, she doesn't slide well the intakes tend to dig in to the grass. 3mins flight and had 25% left in the batt. She flies nice smooth with no nasty vices, could do with being about 300g lighter!
I'm thinking she could live off 800w with serious diet to get her under a kilo and she would be a much sexier lady