HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:53 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
You must be extremely good at throttle management. I was flying my 60+ amp max static 5S 4000 planes today and was only getting 7 1/2 minute flight times. Even with 5000mah if I was pulling 100+ amp burst my flights would be about 5 minutes and the motor and esc would probably be nearly on fire when I landed. If it works for you though more power to you. That means you can fly planes this size using a very inexpensive power system and not have to deal with doubling up packs for 8S. I'm afraid with my undisciplined left thumb I'd melt the whole thing down within a few flights.

Thanks,

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian View Post
101 amps fresh of the charge drops to about 2100 watts. I am using Zippy 20-30c 6s 5000 packs the 50 dollar packs They don't get hot at all so I guess they are closer to 30c than 20c
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 09:32 AM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbirds Rule View Post
You must be extremely good at throttle management. I was flying my 60+ amp max static 5S 4000 planes today and was only getting 7 1/2 minute flight times. Even with 5000mah if I was pulling 100+ amp burst my flights would be about 5 minutes and the motor and esc would probably be nearly on fire when I landed. If it works for you though more power to you. That means you can fly planes this size using a very inexpensive power system and not have to deal with doubling up packs for 8S. I'm afraid with my undisciplined left thumb I'd melt the whole thing down within a few flights.

Thanks,

Sean
If you want to fly around WOT sure this isn't the setup for you. This is a 3d setup WOT runs are short. This motor with a smaller diameter prop on 8s would be great for sport or IMAC.
ambientech is offline Find More Posts by ambientech
Old May 01, 2010, 10:26 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbirds Rule View Post
Actually, that's the plane I was thinking of when I mentioned 9lbs and a little too much for an outrunner on 6S 5000. From the videos I've seen the outrunner powered 70" Slicks look a bit sluggish. That's not to say the don't fly great because they do and there's plenty of video and satisfied customers around here to prove it. I also noticed it seems like a number of people are putting 8S in them these days. IMHO 7S or 8S i a more natural match when pairing the Slick with an outrunner power system. I'm sure it stays nice and cool and keeps the amps down so flight times aren't too short. All that said though the numbers you've mentioned below are very good. If you're hovering at under half stick throughout your flight and after 8 minutes you're only down 70% on a battery that's nice performance and reasonable flight times. What motor/esc are you using?

Thanks!
Sean, I'm not sure what setup you've seen, but the 9 lbs Slick works great with the 6S 5000 setup. If you watch Andrew's video, then you should know that he likes to keep his power level close to what a scaled up 150cc version would be.

There are TONS of people running this setup on their Slicks, and they have all worked great.

The only difference b/t 6S 5000 to 8S 4000 is whether or not you want to double up to make a 12S (50cc conversion) setup, or halve it to power the 55-57" planes.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old May 01, 2010, 10:40 AM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
To be honest, I rarely ever use WOT and yet I was still only getting approx. 7 1/2 minute flight times yesterday. Not saying you don't have a great setup because you do and it obviously works great for you. For me, I need more cells. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian View Post
If you want to fly around WOT sure this isn't the setup for you. This is a 3d setup WOT runs are short. This motor with a smaller diameter prop on 8s would be great for sport or IMAC.
Old May 01, 2010, 10:48 AM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
Hi BoneDoc,
Yes, I've seen the AJ videos and of course they are amazing and it's quite obvious how good the 70" Slick can fly on 6S, I'm not challenging that in the least. I personally think 7S or 8S is optimal if you're using an outrunner to power a plane this size though. Even if these motors can handle brief periods of use far in excess of their max current ratings that doesn't mean they don't become very inefficient at those levels and lose a lot of power and potential run time to heat. Again, I know people are using 6S and love it and they should continue to use it. Personally, I'd spend a few bucks more and set it up for 8S 4000 because I think that would be the right setup for me. No one loses here because the 70" Slick and presumably the yet to be released 70" Extremeflight Extra (sorry I didn't intend to turn this into a Slick thread) are versatile and can work with a multitude of power systems.

Thanks guys,

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
Sean, I'm not sure what setup you've seen, but the 9 lbs Slick works great with the 6S 5000 setup. If you watch Andrew's video, then you should know that he likes to keep his power level close to what a scaled up 150cc version would be.

There are TONS of people running this setup on their Slicks, and they have all worked great.

The only difference b/t 6S 5000 to 8S 4000 is whether or not you want to double up to make a 12S (50cc conversion) setup, or halve it to power the 55-57" planes.
Old May 01, 2010, 11:03 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
I think either setup works well. I intend to go 8S on this plane.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old May 01, 2010, 12:47 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Again,

What I'm challenging is the fallacy that you need higher cell count to power these birds (be it EF / 3DHS).

If you do the math, the total energy delivered / available on an 8S 4000 equals the energy on a 6S 5300. One delivers it through higher amperage, while the other through higher voltage. Each works just as well, and produce just as much power. IMHO, the decision should be based on whether or not you have aspirations for bigger birds (like the EF 88" Edge, Extra, or Yak), or smaller (like the EF 58" Extra). Bigger packs will have less resistance, as well as a higher rated ESC (like the ICE 100). And again, an outrunner with a hotter wind (to take advantage of the lower voltage of the 6S with a higher KV) will have LESS resistance as well.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old May 01, 2010, 04:39 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
I've just found through personal experience that higher cell count generally gives me more power and cooler running components than propping up and pushing tons of amps(of course that's a generalization and there are a lot of variables that come into the equation). So long as a motor can handle lots of amps then yes you get more power by raising the amperage. You certainly get more input power with higher amps but I would have to think efficiency starts to suffer at a certain point doesn't it? Also, I never said you need 8S to fly this plane. We are in agreement that 9lb Extremeflight or 3DHS 70" planes will fly on 6S or 8S and people will probably be happy with the results either way. I personally think it would run cooler, a little longer, and have a bit more punch on 8S but there is no question it will fly on 6S. Hey, in the end maybe it's not enough of a difference to matter to anyone other than me so I'll keep quiet now. I'm just looking forward to seeing some video of the plane in action no matter what the power system.

Thanks,

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
Again,

What I'm challenging is the fallacy that you need higher cell count to power these birds (be it EF / 3DHS).

If you do the math, the total energy delivered / available on an 8S 4000 equals the energy on a 6S 5300. One delivers it through higher amperage, while the other through higher voltage. Each works just as well, and produce just as much power. IMHO, the decision should be based on whether or not you have aspirations for bigger birds (like the EF 88" Edge, Extra, or Yak), or smaller (like the EF 58" Extra). Bigger packs will have less resistance, as well as a higher rated ESC (like the ICE 100). And again, an outrunner with a hotter wind (to take advantage of the lower voltage of the 6S with a higher KV) will have LESS resistance as well.
Last edited by Warbirds Rule; May 01, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:18 PM
France
Joined Feb 2007
90 Posts
The new white, blue and orange scheme looks really amazing !
It has just been updated today on Lindinger site.
http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=86176
thef is offline Find More Posts by thef
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:38 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Wow....that thing looks sweet! I wonder how long until it's up on their site?
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:50 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
I really like the looks of that!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
1,660 Posts
Stay tuned to Extreme Flight there is more in the works that is so awesome. In fact, there was a little leak at the XFC over the weekend. (Take a look at RJ Gritter's plane!!!)
Jeff Williams
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
Wow....that thing looks sweet! I wonder how long until it's up on their site?
Curtis said maybe this week. I'm looking at this one.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,302 Posts
Webpage with all details will be up this week. I'll post a link as soon as it goes live.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:02 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,302 Posts
The other color scheme:
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread