SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:29 AM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Question
What are your methods for making/painting panel lines?

Hi Guys,

I've been seeing alot of really nicely finished scale EP models aound,I've done alot of painting over the years so I hope I'll be able to make some nice looking models now that I'm starting to scratchbuild and kit build. The one things I can't quite figure out is how to make really nice looking panel lines on the body work, how do you guys do them? Any tips and tricks ?

Will.
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 06:55 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,464 Posts
If using foam, you can compress the lines with an old biro, or you can draw them on with a fine line permanent marker. Chalk can be used to give some weathering effects as well.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
You will also need some flexible straight edges. I use the cheap flex rulers found in office supply stores (some have cork backing on them) and/or add some double stick tape to one side. Throw a bit of balsa dust on the tape to remove some of the stickiness. In some cases I have used the blue painters tape to hold a flex edge in place while I draw the lines or add rivets.

Tower Hobbies sells the panel marking pens.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2004
14 Posts
I use 1/64" chartpak tape. Lay down the tape then spray 2 coats of primer over the top of the tape. Sand with 600 grit paper until the top of the tape is clear of primer. Peel the tape off, bam, you have panel lines.
Aaron D.
cgav8r is offline Find More Posts by cgav8r
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
1,342 Posts
Before you start, examine some photos of the full-size, to see what shows-up, and what does not.

Many good models have been spoiled by overdone black lines.
peterangus is offline Find More Posts by peterangus
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:04 AM
Superhero, Third Class
Carson City, NV
Joined Nov 2000
888 Posts
I use a flexible ruler and a soft lead pencil. For lines that would denote a hinged or moving surface, such as a door or a trim tab, I use Ultra Fine Sharpie.

Jeff
astroboy is offline Find More Posts by astroboy
Old May 02, 2010, 05:24 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
I use a flexible ruler and a soft lead pencil. For lines that would denote a hinged or moving surface, such as a door or a trim tab, I use Ultra Fine Sharpie.

Jeff
Ditto!
Same here.

phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old May 02, 2010, 07:33 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,555 Posts
I need some suggestions on panel lines for a Hangar 9 P-47 150. I plan on spraying flat clear over the plastic film to take the shine off. A method that will utilize the clear coat would be cool.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tim Wolff; May 02, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 02, 2010, 07:55 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...ng_type=search

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...ng_type=search

A bunch more is available on Stuka Stunt Works about panel lines as well as a lot more topics.....
Mel Duval is online now Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old May 03, 2010, 06:31 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
The amount of detail, whether it be 3-d or 2-d, depends really on the size of the airframe. It is very easy to "over-do" and make a more comical depiction, vs realistic.

For the small stuff, it is very light weight and easy, to just under coat the plane with alum paint, then add the colors, decals, and use a soft pencil. Then a sharpened nail to scribe intermitent panel wear. This of course for metal surfaces.

Fabric surfaces, I use light polyester dress lining or silk. Aliphatic glue dots for PK screws and sliced vellum for covers. All doped w/lacquer. Here's a few shots of a fabric B-24 and my A-4 Skyhawk.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin