HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Discussion
Fokker DR-1 Triplane LRF (now with video)

Here's what's in progress in my workshop at the present. It's a 16-inch span cartoon scale Fokker DR-1. It has a foam skeleton which will be covered with red RA-Microlight film. What's the fun of a Fokker Triplane that's clear? My goal is 23g and a wing loading about half that of a Vapor's 1.05 oz/sq.ft. Wing area is 196 sq.in.

Control will be Z-TRON 900mhz Servo RX with frequency hopping system (FHS), which weighs 0.5g. Servos will be Falcon Femto 0.85g each servos. Both of these are from BSD as is the 7mm gearbox.

These pieces were test pieces and in every case tweaks and design changes have been made. The purpose of glueing them together is so I can ballast the airframe and see if I can achieve the CG needed.

This plane is rudder/elevator control. No ailerons on this one. Final wings will have dihedral, these don't since they are only test fit pieces. This plane is intended to be a Living Room Flyer that can also float around and fly really really slow in the gym where we have our indoor sessions.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Sep 19, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
This is a monoplane I'm whipping together with one of my boys who wanted to make something with a beta wing. It shows how the Triplane will look covered with red RA Microlite.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2008
207 Posts
tri plane looks awesome!!!!!! are you cutting with a cnc router?
skootertrash74 is offline Find More Posts by skootertrash74
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Laser. A CNC router would work too.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Apr 22, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Gordon,

Why do you prefer said servos over actuators?

How effective do you predict the elevator will be on the monoplane?

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:42 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Actuators with equivalent torque weigh over 2g compared to these servos at 0.85g. So, these are lighter. Also, if it turns out these don't have enough torque I can easily swap on heavier but stronger servos such as the PZ linear servo. Can't do that with actuators. Once you go down the path with actuators you have to stick with them for that RX.

My son is only 9. He doesn't need a lot of elevator surface area. For just a cruise around plane for him this is plenty of control surface. I've flown plenty of cruise around planes with less deflection area, various Bombshells for example. He won't be looping this plane. Mostly it's so he and I assemble it together. He also has a Vapor and Ember, so has other planes to fly. It's the building that's important on this one. Usually my boys glue together beta pieces, put clay on the nose, and make chuck gliders out of them. This one he wanted to make RC. It will get a Kyosho brick I have laying around rather than a Vapor brick, which means it will have to be flown with the toy like Kyosho TX rather than their DX6i TX.

Gordon
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,580 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for the help Gordon. You know I'll be following along.

-Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:32 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
Think this would fly ok with vapor gear instead?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:40 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
It would be fine with a Vapor brick, about 1.5g heavier. I think it might fly with the Vapor gearbox, but I could be wrong. It will be a draggy plane and that might be too much for the 6mm gearbox. Or, it might fly with that gearbox but be very sluggish. It's hard to know for sure. In the end I decided to use the 7mm gearbox just to be sure it has enough thrust, and took the weight hit.

Gordon
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
888 Posts
Super nice one there Gordon.
A question that has been nagging me for a year or so...
Any clue on how strong laser is needed to cut white depron ?? or if the color is omportant? my 300mW red laser cuts grey depron REALLY god but doesn't affect white depron at all

/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:32 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
I don't know the answer. I have a 35W laser from Universal. All I know is it cuts foam, wood, posterboard, paper, etc. It took me a while to get a setting for foam I liked.

Gordon
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
My friend and clubmate Allan Wright keeps calling this the "Toon Tripe", so I guess I'll go with that name. And, I guess a Toon Tripe needs to have a Calvin pilot (from Calvin and Hobbes). Still lots of tweaking to do on this design before getting to the stage of putting a pilot in, however.

Gordon
Old Apr 26, 2010, 05:37 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
888 Posts
Ok thanks anyway
I'll aim for 35+ then
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:58 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
The DR-1, or Cartoon Tripe as my friend Allan Wright calls it, is progressing again. Here are pics of the final fuselage covered, with hardware installed. I just made the rudder, which required multiple steps. With the tail installed control rods can be fabricated and installed and then I progress to the wings.

The goal is to get this in the air and test flown before KIEF.

Gordon
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
The tail first pic is like Gothic architecture !
Laser cutting has given it a constructed look under the covering to my eyes, a reminder of how the actual plane would look under the skin...looking forward to the completion of this one.
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732