Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:34 PM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Discussion
EDF 40 jet

Hi....Just building a very simple jet around a 40mm Fan unit.Couple of pics of the build so far. Just making it up as I go along , any comments would be greatly appreciated , Id love this to be able to fly.
davezoom is offline Find More Posts by davezoom
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:03 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Very interesting, I like the plastic bubble fuselage - is that made from a bottle? First time I can recall seeing anything like that. That would look very cool painted with a canopy area masked off!

I have a feeling that it will end up nose heavy since the fan is mid mounted and all the gear would appear to go in the forward fuselage. CG is probably close to where the front lip of the fan is now. Mounting the fan farther back and shortening the exhaust duct would help and give more options for locating everything else.

Vertical tails would look a little better canted outwards I think, but that is subjective.

I'll be interested to see this one progress.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:31 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I'd agree as to the CG area. Perhaps on MKII you can move the EDF rearward, and angle the twin tails, too. Otherwise, its a nice EDF. I'd like to see this one fly.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:24 AM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Thanks for those comments.It is only pinned together at the moment so I can make any adjustments suggested...
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:04 PM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
ok...made a few adjustments as reccomended, As she stands now with no equipment installed she glides like a dream. I will mount the motor further back but will install tube and motor probably last so I can adjust c of g to suit.
As she is gliding almost perfectly I should be able to pin point the balance point at this stage correct?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 07:25 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
You should be able to get very close to the "correct" CG with a gliding airframe at this stage.

Try to get it flying in a very slight continuous dive rather than a slower, floating flight.

Small light models like this can fly nicely with CG positions that are unusably tail-heavy when the weight of gear is added later and wing loading goes way up.

-Matt
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Servos now attached and elevator/ailerons installed.
All up weight should be around 150g .
Im using a 7.2V 500mah battery which with the motor should give 114g thrust according to some data I have for the motor and fan.
Ive no idea on thrust to weight ratios so does anyone have any input on this....Thanks
Old May 01, 2010, 05:15 PM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Finished except I want to find a better way to do the canopy. Fired her up in the lounge and she flew across the room on a partly charged battery. Hope to maiden her sometime this week if the weather improves.....
Old May 01, 2010, 09:13 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
I actually like the canopy.

What's the green stuff in the exhaust duct, tape? You'll want to make sure it's nice and smooth there.

-Matt
Old May 02, 2010, 02:54 AM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Matt.... its the rim from a milk bottle top ive inserted to keep the foam duct open , it fits reasonably flush but could be better.
Total flying weight with battery is 143g .
Old May 03, 2010, 06:54 AM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Decided to enlarge the wing area ......Im hoping it will need less power then to keep it in the air ?
Old May 03, 2010, 12:29 PM
Gloucester UK
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
Di a trial flight...she did fly but tail heavy ,even flew into the wind reasonably well, will need to do some adjustments. any advice with setting up a delta wing with elevon control would be much appreciated.
Old May 03, 2010, 03:51 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
The center of yaw stability [v/fins] seems very close to the center of balance. And with that amount of nose ahead of the center of balance, beware of a tendency to flat spin if turbulence or handling put too much yaw in for the fins to handle. If it is a problem, you can angle the fins backward out even beyond the trailing edge.

Been there, done that, and got the T-shirt Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 04, 2010, 08:20 AM
James L
Beck Row Mildenhall
Joined Mar 2009
794 Posts
You should be on the money at 114g thrust to 150g auw anything around 60% and up should fly pretty well. You will need to make sure the ducting is good ideally the the exit wants to be about 90%FSA to get the most out of the fan at flying speed.
TANGOSIERRAROM is offline Find More Posts by TANGOSIERRAROM
Old May 05, 2010, 05:14 AM
Australia Sunshine Coast
Joined Sep 2007
447 Posts
davezoom can you tell me the c rating of your battery and the kv of the motor please. And whats your thoughts on this http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...products_id=65 I don't have any edf units and was wondering if I should try these.

The canopy looks great, paint it black on the inside and a white rubberband around it about a third of the way back should look ok

Thanks
Rudolf
rudes is offline Find More Posts by rudes
Last edited by rudes; May 05, 2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: oops