Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Discussion
Extra 300 by ParkZone (PnP & BnF) - Horizon Hobby

PNP- PKZ5175 by ParkZone $184.99
BNF -PKZ5180 by ParkZone $249.99

The ParkZone Extra 300 is now in stock and shipping!

Video with the wings the regular way
PZ Extra 300 Aerobatic Flight - 2 flights with NICE LANDINGS! (6 min 9 sec)

Video with the wings Flipped
Parkzone Extra 300 Flipped Wings HD (1 min 28 sec)

Product Video - Extra 300 (WMV)

Parts Listing

Knife-edge flight, snap rolls, aileron rolls – the Extra 300 PNP can do them all with virtually no roll or pitch coupling and with the same smooth, stable slow speed performance you’ve come to expect from a ParkZone park flyer.

Key Features
  • Ready to fly in minutes
  • Powerful 15-size brushless outrunner motor installed
  • E-fliteŽ Pro 30A Switch-Mode BEC ESC installed
  • Full 4-channel control – throttle, aileron, elevator and rudder
  • Dual aileron servos for precise control
  • Steerable tail wheel installed
  • Durable and lightweight Z-Foam™ construction
  • Two-piece plug-in wing
Overview
  • Designed by Mike McConville, the ParkZoneŽ Extra 300 equipped with a powerful brushless motor that provides more than enough power for precision aerobatics. Positive and negative G maneuvers, snap rolls and more are all within the Extra's capabilities. And it lets you do it all with virtually no roll or pitch coupling.

Specs
  • Wingspan: 40.6 in (1030mm)
  • Overall Length: 36.8 in (935mm)
  • Flying Weight: 34.5 oz (980 g)
  • Motor Size: 15-size 950Kv brushless outrunner
  • Servos: 4 installed
  • Trim Scheme Colors: White with orange and purple
  • CG (center of gravity): Approximately 3 in (76mm) from leading edge of wing at wing root
  • Prop Size: 10.5 x 9
  • Speed Control : 30A Pro SB Brushless ESC
  • Recommended Battery: 11.1V 2200mAh 25C (recommended)
  • Landing Gear: Fixed main with steerable tail wheel

RCG Reviews Parkzone Extra 300
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271194

RCG Review video
Parkzone Extra 300 review for RCGroups (3 min 58 sec)

Horizonhobby.com Preview - ParkZone Extra 300
Horizonhobby.com Preview - ParkZone Extra 300 (8 min 23 sec)

Horizonhobby.com Review - ParkZone Extra 300
Horizonhobby.com Review - ParkZone Extra 300 (6 min 1 sec)

Product video at SEFF 2010
SEFF 2010 - Introducing the Parkzone Extra 300 (3 min 17 sec)

SEFF 2010 - Noon Demos, Parkzone Extra 300
SEFF 2010 - Noon Demos, E-Flite Extra 300 & Parkzone Extra 300 (2 min 22 sec)

Copyright RCUniverse

Owner's Selected Photos:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=160
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=336
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=478

Owner's Selected Videos:

Modifications:

Prop sizes with Watts and Amps
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=251

Wheels mods
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=292
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=296
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=334

Product Photos:
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Last edited by SalamSyed; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:47 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Wow, its finally here. I recently got a PA Extra MX 58" but this one can easily make its space in my Hangar. :-)

The video is much better as compared to the E-flight Extra 300. Less wing rock and looks more stable and light too.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:52 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
No published wing area? That's odd.

TIm
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:40 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
kind of a neat way to bring pilots towards 3d----I'm sure you could replace the motor with something with a little more gall and make it go from sport plane to 3d foamy.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:52 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Wow, its finally here. I recently got a PA Extra MX 58" but this one can easily make its space in my Hangar. :-)

The video is much better as compared to the E-flight Extra 300. Less wing rock and looks more stable and light too.
The E-Flite Extra 300 is much larger, 52" vs 40" wingspan, so I don't think you can meaningfully compare the weight. Maybe you meant the E-Flite Extra 260, which is similar in size to the PZ Extra? In that case, the specs contradict that. The E-Flite Extra 260 lists a flying weight of 26-29 oz compared to the PZ Extra's flying weight of 34.5 oz, and the PZ plane is smaller too.

This would be in line with my experience with the PZ Typhoon, which is constructed similarly to the PZ Extra, and is quite heavy compared to similarly sized balsa planes, or even other foam planes. It flies that way too. It's not bad for what it cost and the fact that it came PnP, and I've had a lot of fun with it, but compared to nicer planes I've flown with lighter wing loadings from 3DHS, E-Flite, and others, the Typhoon seems like a pig.
bilboa is offline Find More Posts by bilboa
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Oh, I was not trying to compare this with the E-flight Extra 300, they are altogether two different animals. My comparison was about the video and showing what the plane can do. They actually did a bad job on the video for the E-flight Extra 300 while the video for the Parkzone Extra 300 is I would say quite better and it shows that the plane is capable.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:56 PM
Nice, but watch this... oops.
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2010
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
..... but compared to nicer planes I've flown with lighter wing loadings from 3DHS, E-Flite, and others, the Typhoon seems like a pig.
I know its a bit off topic but I just had to comment, my first ever plane was a Typhoon, with no prior experiance except for simulator, and no instructor. I did really well with her, but your right, she's a pig and can bite you if your not watching. I've since moved into much better 3d capable planes with MUCH liter wing loading.

Bill
Dirt Brakes is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Brakes
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:01 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
It's heavy for it's size

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:31 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
The spec weight could be a typo.... I flew the original typhoon,didnt think it flew heavy at all for a built up foam plane with airfoiled wing and i used a 1320 3s pack(24oz auw),looking forward to some flight videos and feedback once people have actually flown this one,until then i see a lot of possibility's for set ups.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Oh, I was not trying to compare this with the E-flight Extra 300, they are altogether two different animals. My comparison was about the video and showing what the plane can do. They actually did a bad job on the video for the E-flight Extra 300 while the video for the Parkzone Extra 300 is I would say quite better and it shows that the plane is capable.
I agree about the videos. But to me it seemed like the differences between the videos had more to do with the pilot in the PZ video being obviously better, and maybe it was shot on a less windy day. Both E-Flite extras look pretty floaty to me in the videos. The PZ Extra certainly looks to be a capable flier from the video. I was just saying I don't think it'll be as light as similar size balsa planes if it's built like the Typhoon.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:55 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
The spec weight could be a typo.... I flew the original typhoon,didnt think it flew heavy at all for a built up foam plane with airfoiled wing and i used a 1320 3s pack(24oz auw),looking forward to some flight videos and feedback once people have actually flown this one,until then i see a lot of possibility's for set ups.
Typhoon was not my first plane but first 3D plane and it helped me alot to learn some basic 3D things. A profile foamie could be much better but Typhoon is not that bad. I moved up and bought myself a Sukhoi 480 and recently a Precision Aerobatics Extra MX. I still like my Typhoon and I am sure this Parkzone Extra 300 could be a winner.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Hmm, I never tried that small a battery in my Typhoon. The smallest PZ recommends is an 1800 mAh. Maybe PZ just tends to recommend batteries on the large side, perhaps because they think customers would rather longer flight times than nice floaty behavior. I noticed for this new Extra they recommend a 2200 mAh 3S, whereas other planes in this size tend to recommend more like 1000 - 1500 mAh. How did your Typhoon do with the 1320? Did it have enough power to climb vertically out of a hover?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:21 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
Hmm, I never tried that small a battery in my Typhoon. The smallest PZ recommends is an 1800 mAh. Maybe PZ just tends to recommend batteries on the large side, perhaps because they think customers would rather longer flight times than nice floaty behavior. I noticed for this new Extra they recommend a 2200 mAh 3S, whereas other planes in this size tend to recommend more like 1000 - 1500 mAh. How did your Typhoon do with the 1320? Did it have enough power to climb vertically out of a hover?
I fly my Typhoon with a 3S 1500 mAh 20C pack for good 10 minutes that include pretty long hovers and harriers.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6307

Vertical climb is not an issue.

I sometime fly it with a 3S 2200 mAh 20C
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6306
This one is not a very heavy pack.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:26 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,245 Posts
Please read the overview carefully. Nowhere have we claimed this is intended to be a 3D airplane. In the hands of an extremely skilled pilot like Mike McConville the Extra may be capable of some 3D maneuvers, but the intent of the ship is to be a great aerobatic airplane. In Mike's own words the Extra's wing loading is too high to be a great 3D performer, but 3D wasn't the target. The target was to give T-28 pilots something more aerobatic. The Extra delivers against this goal.

I can tell you it has more power than we've ever delivered in a ParkZone parkflyer. The new motor, prop, and battery give it enough punch for amazingly huge loops and very long uplines. It may not be built for 3D, but it is a lot of fun for what it is.

David
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Sep 2009
98 Posts
It looks like the battery mounts very close to the CG - it would be interesting to see how it performs with a lighter pack & maybe a 12x6 prop...
turkeylord is offline Find More Posts by turkeylord