SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:59 PM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
I have found that canopy glue(rc 56) works the best for vapor covering repairs. It drys clear, light, and doesn't run everywhere.
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:57 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith View Post
I'm always amazed when experienced flyers push there favorite plane as good for beginners when often nothing is farther from the truth. Vapor is a good inside flier but too floaty and not durable enough for starting out. IMO Aero Ace, Multiplex pushers, Estes, etc. are good for beginners, not Vapor. Specially considering the price.

Avoid prop-out-front designs and low wing when starting out (unless you have a big box of spare props and motors that is).
lol rich i have handed 2 of my freinds who have never picked up a tx in their lives my vapor and ember2 and they flew them starting at about 50 feet and never touched the ground int he 10 mins the battery lasted and as far as ur theory on no prop out front plane is a good begginer... i believe 90% of every 1 who learned to fly learned on prop out front plane. and to the orginal poster find a gym or a large feild and have at it i've been flyin for 14 years and im just 21 now and since i started the saying i've been told everytime i craches is, If You Haven't Crashed Then Your Not Flyin
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:23 AM
Joined Apr 2010
18 Posts
The front support also broke but hot glue worked for that. I took it out to a field but it was a little to windy. The wind would carry it away fast but fight me when trying to turn it around and I would end up crashing it. Not really sure of any indoor areas I could use. Most places won't let you just walk into a gym. The rudder busted on me this morning. After its fixed I won't try to fly inside anymore. Only outside if its completely calm. I still regret buying it. I think if someone just wants something to goof around with inside the mcx heli seems to be a much better choice and more durable.

I'm doing ok on a flight sim. I can do landings and loops on a few planes.

The aero ace is long retired. Anything else from air hogs looks like junk. Why in the world would they quit making this wonderful item (fwir) in favor of the other stuff?
jedispork is offline Find More Posts by jedispork
Old Apr 24, 2010, 09:13 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
Most places won't let you just walk into a gym.
You would be amazed if you asked!

Best example: During last student's March break, had to go to a Windows 7 course for 3 days in a college. Since I got lucky before (as I said, always ask first!), I did bring my Sukhoi and my Mustang with me, just in case! (I can fly my Vapor anytime at work so I didn't bring that one with me, since we do have a room large enough!). During our first break, I went to the gym (huge one!!!), and ask the guy in charge of the equipement if I could fly some micro planes in it. The guy happen to be an old RC pilot who had not flown for years, so he quickly said yes! After that, I flew every lunch hours and even every breaks for 3 days. Indoor flying with the Mustang is not exactly common as it's a fast plane... That guy always showed up during my flying session and even was looking forward to it. Sadly, this gym is taken from 8:00 am to 11:00pm most of the time, but the guy told me that during Chrismas time and summer time, I could come back anytime.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith View Post
I'm always amazed when experienced flyers push there favorite plane as good for beginners when often nothing is farther from the truth. Vapor is a good inside flier but too floaty and not durable enough for starting out. IMO Aero Ace, Multiplex pushers, Estes, etc. are good for beginners, not Vapor. Specially considering the price.

Avoid prop-out-front designs and low wing when starting out (unless you have a big box of spare props and motors that is).
I like pusher and mid-motor planes, way fewer busted props, especially flying in small spaces.

The problem is that for 3 channels or more, RTF and ARF non-tractors seem to be designed to need lots and lots of room (more than what I have).
An example is the Multiplex Easy-star, which I have been told takes a soccer field (or several?) to fly.
The closest ARF that I can think of is the Superfly and its siblings, and even with those, adding a rudder helps with slow speeds (which is good for beginners in small areas).
Beyond the modded Superfly, I think one needs to scratch-build a pusher or mid-motor plane to get one to fly slowly in a small area (what I ended-up doing).
Some planes that seem to fit this: Frog (you buy the plans), Blu-beagle, Firefly
(like a Superfly w/rudder), SFO (variant with rudder). The Firefly and SFO are built with EPP (as is the Superfly).

For 2-channel, I do figure 8's in a 15x20 foot room with an Air Hogs Cyclone (mid-motor) or Avenger (ornithopter: no prop to break!),
aka Silverlit Stingray and iBird/iWing.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Apr 24, 2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Additions to Easy-star, Firefly, SFO.