HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:29 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Build Log
1/4 Scale Top Cub

I have had this idea knocking around in my head for some time now, and thought it was time to try it out. In the past I had scratch built a 48" supercub modeled after Cub Crafters "Top Cub". I completely enjoyed building and flying the little craft, so I thought it would be nice to have larger version. My search began by looking for a set of 1/4 scale plans of the Super Cub. Needless to say there weren't a whole heck of a lot of choices.

So here is where I am at right now. I found a set of plans that are of the very early Super Cub. It has a much "stubbier" nose than the Top Cub so for the past several days I have been studying the pics on the Cub Crafters site drawing, to the best of my abilites, the Top Cub (TC) fire wall and nose.

I have also decided to build the TC as lite as possible. My goal is to keep the bird in the single lbs. digits, and power it with as little as a .46 size elecrtic motor. I might have to power it with a .60 size so I can swing a scale prop. This is up in the air right now, so you guys with a better working knowledge of electrics, please feel free to post a possible motor/esc/prop/battery combo.

At any rate the construction began by building the fuse sides. To keep the sides lite, I stripped some Med./Hard balsa into 1/16 x 1/4 strips. I laid the pieces out on the plans and glued them up as though I was using 1/4 X 1/4 square balsa. Once the parts were glued up, I went back and glued an additional piece of 1/16 x 1/4 creating a piece of "angle". This was done top and bottom only. I then started from back to front measuring 2" top and bottom to locate the 1/16 x 1/8 cross pieces. So far the fuse feels extremely lite yet very strong.

I took the time to build some templates to aid in the construction of the wing ribs, and the upper fuse. These are built out of 1/4 MDF. The 1/4 holes are not only for holding the parts to the template when routing, they also work in holding and fastening the wing halves to the fuse. There are more templates to come, just haven't got to them yet.

Here are a few pics of where I am at right now. Let me know what you all think. This is truely a Design/Work in progress.

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:23 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,219 Posts
Looking sharp so far. The baby in the rib photo gives a nice sense of scale. This is going to be a BIG model! (Maybe the baby would like a ride? ) Subscribed.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:28 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
628 Posts
Just can't get enough huh? Looks great! Boy if you can finish it under 10lbs. it will just crawl around the sky. You won't be able to tell it isn't real.

Dust
SVX is online now Find More Posts by SVX
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:34 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Dust, you are right I just can't get enough.........I need help!! I may be living in a different world thinking I can keep this thing under 10 lbs.

Hoff, if my daughter could fit in it she would certianly love to go for a ride!! Needless to say she is going to make me pay "big time" for my raiseing.

BTW, I have included a pic of the TC, and the color scheme I will be copying.

Trey
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:23 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
I think in order to build like this, it would of been beneficial to have taken basket weaving 101. I found a little time today to see where I am in the weight department..........so far with what is pictured the airframe weighs in at 15.6 ozs. My apoligies for the far away shots, it is hard to get it all in given its size. If there is anything you guys would like to see up closer, let me know and I will try to get the shot.

Trey
Old May 03, 2010, 10:40 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Been working on the wing for the past several days, and here is what has come of it. All stringers are 1/8 x 1/4 hard balsa, shear webbing is 1/16 sheet balsa as well as the ribs. The two wing ribs closest to the fuse are 1/8 lite ply. The basket weaving idea came from Fisher Flying products. These guys build a full scale kit version of the LSA. Both their wings and fuse use this design. If desired, you all can view some pics of their aircraft builds here at, http://fisherflying.com/index.php?op...d=27&Itemid=31 . The best pics are of the Dakota Hawk. They use this type of building method on that particular plane. Let me know what you all think!!

Trey
Old May 03, 2010, 11:08 PM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
628 Posts
This is were there is a defined distinction between "toys" and an art form. The stringer work on the fuse is just wonderful.

I'm curious as to the "sheeting" method on the wing. Are you doing it this as a scale touch or are you saving weight?

Dust
SVX is online now Find More Posts by SVX
Old May 04, 2010, 06:41 AM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Dust,

Thanks for the kind words. The stringer work is done in an effort to keep the weight down, in turn making it extremely strong. I will also put the stringer system on the botton of the wing. This may or may not work, I just look at it as a science experiment in balsa.

Trey
Old May 04, 2010, 04:18 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,989 Posts
Well, the wing ought to be torsionally rigid!

I have a BUSA 1/4 scale Cub kit (yet to build), and just looking at the differences in the fuse structure, I wonder what weight differences there'd be between the two designs? Seems your build might be lighter...

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old May 04, 2010, 06:48 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Trey,

I'm watching this one with great interest. Looks like it should be very strong and very light.

I've been itching to build a "standard" Super Cub bush plane at 1/4 scale, along the same lines, (very light), sans the "basket weave", as soon as other projects get finished.

Will this one be a bush plane with tundra tires? If so what are you planning on using for wheels? I have yet to find anything that suits me in this size, (+-8"), or 10" plus ones I need for my 1/3 Super Cub.

Certainly enjoying watching this one go together!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old May 04, 2010, 09:28 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Trey,

You watch my little L-4 build, and you have this on the bench? I'm definitely following this with interest!

Dion
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old May 04, 2010, 09:57 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
James, I finished the "weave" on the bottom of the wing, and WOW did that thing get ridgid!! I am really glad I decided to dial in about 2 degrees of washout prior to finishing the bottom. I do not know if I could get the proper washout if I had not. It is that ridgid!! I have an unfinished 1/4 scale gas powered PA-12 in about the same framed up stage as my SC so here in a day or two I will check the weight to see the difference.

Amp, How is your 1/3 scale project coming along? To answer your question, yes it will be a bush plane, and no I have not found a set of tires that suit me either.

Dion, I know like I need something else to do!! Thanks for the interest!!

Trey
Old May 05, 2010, 10:05 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
Recently completed, bottom weave, leading edge, and vertical stab built. And just a few shot to show where I am at to date. This thing keeps getting bigger and bigger.....................

Trey
Old May 06, 2010, 08:05 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,693 Posts
Even though it wouldn't be scale, you should cover it in some sort of transparent covering to show off all of that work. Truly beautiful. Reminds me of the old Valkyrie wings which a friend of mine is building right now.

Hope you don't mind the pic, and he doesn't mind me posting it.

Dion
dion9146 is online now Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old May 06, 2010, 11:25 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Amp, How is your 1/3 scale project coming along?

Trey[/QUOTE]

Trey, the 1/3 scale is getting almost ready to cover. I'm fiddling with scale detail bits, as time and ambition permit. I've been at this one so long that I burn out easily. I also do a lot of "re-engineering" which takes much time and effort.

By the way, I really like your planned color scheme for this one!

Let me know what you find for tires, and I'll do likewise.

Amp
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce