HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2003, 02:12 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
7 feet Antonov AN-2 model

My Antonov AN-2 model is finally (almost) ready after a year building time. Only some connectors remain to be installed. I have designed the model after a Bjorn Karlstrom 3-view in a Swedish magazine. The details are:

Scale 1:8.5
Span 7 feet (top wing)
Motor actro 40-5 Outrunner in direct drive
Prop Ramoser 15 inch adjustable 4-blader or 18 x 8 wood
Battery 30 cells RC 2400
Weight 16 pounds (with Battery)

The model have flaps on both wings and ailerons on top wing only. I will test fly the model in a couple of days time. I just had to bring it to the field and take some pictures first. Donnot take pictures and the model will go down the first time out.

To our UK friends. If everything is ok, I will bring the model to England in July and fly at the BEFA meeting at Middle Wallop.

Christer Lagerstedt
Haninge MFC, Sweden
Christer Lagerstedt is offline Find More Posts by Christer Lagerstedt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2003, 03:35 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Christer
Lot of model!

Very nice, good luck with her - she will "Stop the show"!

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 05, 2003, 03:55 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Christer,

Now that's a 120% Aspach 2003 candidate!

It's extremely nice! Could you bring it this year?
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Jun 05, 2003, 04:57 PM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I have seen a Russian bipe in the flesh that looks a lot like this. Very big sucker! This is what, about 1/10 scale?

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jun 05, 2003, 05:20 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Hi Christer

You've been working hard and she looks really beautiful!

How did you get on with the Cub yellow Solartex and dark yellow Solarlac paint matching problem? Looking at the photograph, they look to be a very good match .... phew!!

I'll be thinking of you this weekend - and hoping that the weather which is moving in your direction from us improves before it reaches you

Best regards

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jun 05, 2003, 10:32 PM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Beautiful!

There are three of these planes parked at Auburn municipal airport just two miles from my work. A gent purchsed all three of them to restore and sell.
Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old Jun 06, 2003, 12:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Smash, what you saw was undoubtedly an AN-2, just like this one....(just as he mentioned in the thread... Other Russian bipes that made it out of the old Soviet Union are nearly non- existant, and none were as large and as commonplace as the AN-2.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 07, 2003, 09:22 AM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Christer, Fantastic looking model! I know it looks even better "in person" but we will have to make do with pics. Looks as though you spent a great deal of time researching and building. Too bad you can't make it to Toledo Show in Ohio, it would be a hit!
Someday I 'm going to try my hand at a large scale electric.
I've seen the plane on Discovery Wings and it really is a large plane for a Bipe, and they are still being flown .
Good luck on your first flight. May you have many more with it.
John Z.
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Jun 07, 2003, 10:03 AM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Thank you all for the nice words. Still working on the last details.

@ James Frolik. I have wanted to go to Aspach for several years. I am a subscriber to Modell and elektroModell so I am well aware what Aspach stands for. It is quite a drive from Sweden but I hope I can make it. My son Martin have been there a couple of times.

@Gordon. Dark yellow Solarlac is a good match to Cub Yellow Solartex. Unfortunately I got only one tin of Dark Yellow of thr two I had ordered. The other tin was ordinary yellow. I was not certain one tin would be enought so I added some red to the yellow and got an acceptable mix.

Christer Lagerstedt
Haninge MFC
Old Jun 07, 2003, 02:12 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,589 Posts
Marvellous plane Christer, one thing is bothering me though : since you're responsible for having translated the original Elektro Modell magazine diy lrk articles from German into English, why an Actro instead of a (diy) lrk type ;-) ?

Met vriendelijke groet Ron van Sommeren
diy outrunner brushless e-motor discussion.
Electric fly-in & lrk meet, June 22nd, 2003, Nijmegen, the Netherlands.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jun 07, 2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2003, 02:53 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
Wery nice model indeed!

Does it have the same, allmost pathetic take off speed as the original?
it´s so mighty to see these monsters take off!
They sound lovley and you allmost think they´ll fall down when they take off at what it looks like stall speed, it´s amazing how these russian guy´s can build airplanes!

If you ever get a chance to fly one of the real ones, GO FOR IT, it´s a memory for life, I promice!
If you know where one is located (in flying condition) ask the owners when they´ll go flying next time and see if you can come along, just tell them you´r a modeller and you have a scale model of it and they´ll happily let you come along!
that´s how I got my chance of flying one of these monsters

Lovley model!

By the way, you are going to bring this to Barkarby this year right?
I must see this model in real life

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Last edited by Philip Thulin; Jun 07, 2003 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2003, 09:08 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Wow, FANTASTIC!
The "Annushka" has been one of my favorite aircraft ever since seeing the "Utterly Butterly" painted version fly at a U.K. airshow a few years ago. "Biplanes, Triplanes and Seaplanes" states "...[it] can rightly claim its status as one of the world's greatest aircraft." Largest single engine bipe in history. More than 23,000 built.
Someday I hope to try and design/build a Parkflyer size version. Just received a 1/72 scale plastic model I had ordered for the 3 views.
Excellent work. Can't wait to read flight reports.
-David-
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jun 08, 2003, 07:30 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,928 Posts
well this aircraft holds the distinguised title of highest production run. Along with the polikarpov po-2 biplane of ww2
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jun 09, 2003, 12:36 PM
Stockholm Bromma, Sweden
Joined Mar 2000
141 Posts
Ron
I have not had the time yet to build myself a LRK motor. I have the parts and have glued the stator stampings together, made a jig and drilled the stator to a diameter of 12 millimetres. By the way, how do people attach the stator to the front part. I know the commercial makers use a screwed part holding the rear ball bearing. It seems a little final to glue the stator to the aluminium part.

Also I had the actro motor left over from my old Big Lift witch stalled when I flew too slowly towing a banner.

I would have liked to visit the Electrik fly-in at Nijmegen but have not got vacation yet. But I will be driving back from England around July 14 - 15. Will it be possibel to visit you and your club then? E-mail me privately.

Philip Thulin
The Antonov will be ready for Barkarby this saturday and I might bring it. However I donnot think I have had the time to test fly before and to do that at a big meeting is not a good idea.

Christer Lagerstedt
Haninge MFC Sweden
Last edited by Christer Lagerstedt; Jun 09, 2003 at 12:39 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 12:47 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,589 Posts
Hi Christer, have a look at the www.yahoogroups.com/group/lrk-torquemax 'drawings' section:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-to...iles/drawings/
Or the 'photos' section, many pictures by list members:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/lrk-torquemax/lst

Strangely enough, although I made the 'photos' section public, you need an account to view them. Don't worry, you will not get any spam

Met vriendelijke groet/med venlig hilsen Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren