Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:05 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,190 Posts
Discussion
HK-450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Barebone kit

I just found this new HK-450 CCPM 3D Helicopter Barebone kit on the hobbyking website. Is this any good if you want to get started in flying helicopters or would you pro's suggest something else?

I learned flying fixed wing planes myself, I want to try the same with a helicopter.

I want to buy it with the suggested items:
Canopy (maybe not necessary?)
Main rotor blades
Brushless Outrunner Motor & Pinion Gear
Servos
Gyro
Receiver
ESC
Lipoly Battery (2200mAh 3S)

I already have a transmitter that can be used for helicopters and a 6 channel reciever. Would that do?
CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:13 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,341 Posts
Fixed wing experience doesn't translate to helis very well. You will find some people start with a heli like that, but more start with something much more geared toward beginners, like a coax, self stabilizing single rotor, or FP heli. There are valid arguments for any of these choices. If you want to start with a CP heli, you will need a programmable transmitter and lots of practice on a decent sim.

The HK450 is a clone of the Align Trex 450. It's not of the same quality. It uses softer metals, more brittle plastic and has less quality control. Odds are good you will need to replace some components. If you are unlucky, it can cost you more than the real thing. But, it isn't bad for the price.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,380 Posts
I love my HK450. I had to upgrade a bunch of parts though. When it flies, I have $450 worth of parts in the air. I tried to build it cheap like every HK450 owner does, but I was either having to replace parts becasue I didn't like the performane, or because they would fail on me. It's a great heli thou. If you want it to fly as well as a true TRex, then just buy the TRex instead. It will cost you the same either way.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:19 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Fixed wing experience doesn't translate to helis very well. You will find some people start with a heli like that, but more start with something much more geared toward beginners, like a coax, self stabilizing single rotor, or FP heli. There are valid arguments for any of these choices. If you want to start with a CP heli, you will need a programmable transmitter and lots of practice on a decent sim.

The HK450 is a clone of the Align Trex 450. It's not of the same quality. It uses softer metals, more brittle plastic and has less quality control. Odds are good you will need to replace some components. If you are unlucky, it can cost you more than the real thing. But, it isn't bad for the price.
stop that blair, this is not entirely true anymore, the HK450 is well developed now. I'd be concerned about new release, HK700 or something but the 450 is fine and the plastic main gear is every bit as tough as other low cost gears such as the belt CP.

With that said, this is the 450 heli to go for, I got 3 and 1 HK450. All fly great but the EXI does fly 3x better

http://www.xheli.com/exitsecaedhe.html

out of stock but this is the same and comes with a carrying case
http://www.xheli.com/exitsecaedar.html

There is a huge HK450 thread, blair dosen't participate lol, but I think you will find lots of satisfied coustomers.

I'm getting one of these but the Torque tube us not for starters :
http://www.xheli.com/18h20-exi450pro-shaft.html

Lots of GREAT clones to start with, the HK450 is pretty good, there are better.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
you should buy the heli seperate or I think you will pay extra shipping.

I have used all of these parts:
ESC
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9299

Motor
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8616
(use a 12T pinion to begin, then work up to a 13T)

uBEC
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=3735

gyro
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10113

servos
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9745
(these will strip in any crash, the HXT900s are really good for low cost servos, I hated them at first but came to love them, you can buy replacement gears, you can use these for the tail but will want to upgrade to a digital, I still have 1800a on one of my tails.)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662
gears
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4950

battery
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6306

good luck, even the $27 HK is a great deal, with shipping it will run ~$45. Check this out from xheli
http://www.xheli.com/exi450arfrar.html

good luck, so many possibilities

with the $4.95 shipping it is the same price as the HK and faster shipping. The electroinics
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:55 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
Get the HK450GT. I just recieved a couple this morning(one for spares) and I am very happy.

I flew planes for twenty years before helis. A bit of sim hovering, two packs hovering on my trex 450 and been flying since.

Use wood blades, they are sacrificial, composite blades frequently take other parts with them to the bin.

Wood blades on ebay can be had for ~$2.50/pair , main shafts ~$1, Booms 5 for $7.50 all inc. shipping.

Get a mystery 40a SBEC from HK or DX for $24. They have a switching bec and super slow start up. I run mysterys in three helis now and love them. DX also has a nice motor for ~$14 too.
Eagleburger is online now Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
Dont be tempted to get a pro or sport. They are fragile compared to the trex 450 V2 or HK450GT, which are virtually identical.
Eagleburger is online now Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old May 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
HK vs Align

Often I read peoples comments about the price of the HK and that in the end I should have just bought an Align to start with. As a beginner rc pilot I would not have been able to afford the cost of replacing parts for my first few crashes if I had bought an Align. Yes I crash, many of us do.
I would rather earn my wings on a copter that is cheaper to fix and then buy a more expensive heli later.
I am not talking about crashes that are caused by the heli manufacturing errors but by general beginner errors. Flying to close to trees and fences, it wouldn't matter if it was an Align heli or HK a tree is going to do the same damage.
I may sound upset but I am not, it is just frustrating to hear when people 'bag my budget'. I am loving the HK and have gone from skidding to hover and now am trying to move around (tail in). I am excited and loving the sport. I am happy to be starting somewhere. Go for it, it is a good starting point.
Gradz is offline Find More Posts by Gradz
Old May 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
I have an HK450-MT, and for every issue I have had with it so far, I can easily find posts from people who own genuine Align heli's that have exactly the same issues. Take the slop in the tail for example. When pulling outwards on the blade holders, there seemed to be an excessive amount of play. How did I fix that? Easy. I watched the Finless Bob video review of the Align 450 V2 where he talks about the slop in the tail and shows how to fix it

People also complain about the quality of the screws and how they strip easily. Well, there was a thread on Helifreak recently where a lot of Align afficianado's were complaining about the Align screws. Having the correct tools solves that problem.

I've never owned an Align or even held one in my hand, but so far I'm not convinced that there is that much of a difference between the original and the clone.
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old May 17, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes there have been issues but all in all I have found it very rewarding to be able to fix my own heli. Mates of mine who have gone out and bought very expensive heli's and crashed have had them fixed at great expense and won't touch them again for fear of the next bill. What a shame.
Not sure what the costs are like in other countries but here in Australia if I want to buy a pair of no-name carbon blades it will cost me A$50, whereas I can get a pair from HK for A$15. The fear of chipping/breaking a blade, and being up for $50 minimum each time can be paralysing. That doesn't include main gears and possible servo/gears.
My crashes are becoming less often now but each one costs me less than $20, I have spares on hand and not afraid to fly. I think they are the important things in flying, affordability(of parts) and understanding(how your heli functions).
Gradz is offline Find More Posts by Gradz
Old May 17, 2010, 08:17 AM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
go fp first i made the mistake of going for a cp as my second heli after a co axail, i flew my mates msr for about a week, and flew on realflight 4.5 sim at the lhs, and still have crashed my cp 20 times, getting it under control, but it wasnt fun constantly fixing, id by the msr, it behaves a decent amount like a cp heli, but is almost indestructable, a sim i good but no matter how realistic it is , its not the same as flying in realife, in realife ur constatnly thinking dont crash dont crash, but after flying soemthing like a msr its alot more reasuring
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old May 17, 2010, 06:58 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangamatchstic View Post
go fp first i made the mistake of going for a cp as my second heli after a co axail, i flew my mates msr for about a week, and flew on realflight 4.5 sim at the lhs, and still have crashed my cp 20 times, getting it under control, but it wasnt fun constantly fixing, id by the msr, it behaves a decent amount like a cp heli, but is almost indestructable, a sim i good but no matter how realistic it is , its not the same as flying in realife, in realife ur constatnly thinking dont crash dont crash, but after flying soemthing like a msr its alot more reasuring
You are much more likely to crash if you think 'dont crash, dont crash'. a CP is not always a mistake, I started with a 500 size CP, haven't crashed, 1 week and 11 packs in the training gear is gone, and we're now on pack 15.

The base 450 CCPM is a bad idea, get the GT and you won't regret it.

And some sims, Aerofly, and moreso Reflex (don't know about Phoenix, never used it), are realistic enough that I was able to progress from a simulated Logo 10 to my TREX 500 without issues.

The main issue is the mentality, if you go fly in a panicked state, you're more likely to overcorrect, or even worse, slam the throttle closed (which results in you going to negative pitch and accelerating groundwards). Keep calm, meditate first if you have to, keeping your head screwed on, and using the sim to train your reflexes will save you.
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old May 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
I have an HK450-MT, and for every issue I have had with it so far, I can easily find posts from people who own genuine Align heli's that have exactly the same issues. Take the slop in the tail for example. When pulling outwards on the blade holders, there seemed to be an excessive amount of play. How did I fix that? Easy. I watched the Finless Bob video review of the Align 450 V2 where he talks about the slop in the tail and shows how to fix it

People also complain about the quality of the screws and how they strip easily. Well, there was a thread on Helifreak recently where a lot of Align afficianado's were complaining about the Align screws. Having the correct tools solves that problem.

I've never owned an Align or even held one in my hand, but so far I'm not convinced that there is that much of a difference between the original and the clone.
I have, there is a difference.

Not so much on the 450s but there really is on the 250s.

Fix the inter shaft.
Get a good feather shaft.
and a main and it's almost as good as an SEV2.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov