HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:17 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,641 Posts
Efflux R/C F-20 prototype flight (4 min 22 sec)

That looked great guys. Your real troopers. I'm a fair weather woos!
Nice flying of a dark grey jet in that stuff. At least you had the airspace to yourselves.
Thanks for getting some video Bret.

As Rodger mentioned, we went over some wood design parameters and got my wings, stabs, ducts, and rear fuse section.
Looking at these wings and stabs, Im glad we decided to go with molded in Kevlar control surface hinges. Full length, no gap hinging. They are never coming out of there.

These layups are super light (similar to the SAPAC airframes).

I have to finish the wood parts drawings before I can start most of the assy. But I'll see what parts I can install and post pics along the way.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:00 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
Happy new year i hope it gets better than the last few months ok so i finished the fan hatch mold and the boudry layer wegdes so i think i can get gary the rest of the parts for his plane .so i started today on J's #1 plane . hope it goes well . hav'nt herd from gary so im not sure what he has been up too.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:11 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
Gary and I were talking about catching up over a stoggie in March. Maybe you can join us ?

I might need to remove the bands before I fly in
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:21 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
sorry i dont smoke .....but it would be nice to meet you
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:45 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
Do you drink beer ???? It will be great to meet you, maybe on the flight line.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:51 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
flight line would be cool
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Happy new year i hope it gets better than the last few months ok so i finished the fan hatch mold and the boudry layer wegdes so i think i can get gary the rest of the parts for his plane .so i started today on J's #1 plane . hope it goes well . hav'nt herd from gary so im not sure what he has been up too.
Been busy shipping box after box of baby clothes.
..............and other things as well.

I finally got the "EDF Wire Mod" option up on the website along with a few other things.
http://www.effluxrc.com/EDF-Wire-Mod...-ESC-EDFWM.htm

I've had many requests to assemble / reasemble and dynamicaly balance balance fans that customers want to send to us. (usually EDFs we don't carry at this time)
I recently began accepting a few and decided to save some correspondence time by adding them to the website (coming next)

F-20 progress:

I'm still working on the wood drawings.

The aluminum elevator control arms will be ready to be picked up this week.

Rodger, Please email me about shipping the part you have for me. It's cheaper than me coming up there, and I'm not playing in the snow.

Jayb1rdz,

Those smokes look great. You bring them, dinner and espresso's on me.
We'll see if we can work in a visit with Rodger.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Jan 09, 2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:07 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
G thanks for the update ,you sound as busy as i am . i started painting the molds for J's nose and canopy hatch . gary im trying to get all of the parts you need ,vert,stab bushings and bushing tubs,fan hatch,and boundry wegdes. ,oh and a clear canopy . bought more material and resin today also.ill cal you cause we need to change one of the wood parts for the elev. servo.let me know when you draw that one.
whats the story on that motor wire mod?looks like a good idea
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
G thanks for the update ,you sound as busy as i am . i started painting the molds for J's nose and canopy hatch . gary im trying to get all of the parts you need ,vert,stab bushings and bushing tubs,fan hatch,and boundry wegdes. ,oh and a clear canopy . bought more material and resin today also.ill cal you cause we need to change one of the wood parts for the elev. servo.let me know when you draw that one.
whats the story on that motor wire mod?looks like a good idea
As you know, many of the motors available have very short (about 1") leads.
When I assemble and balance EDFs for customers, they often ask for Plug and Play with an ESC. The Habu32 is a good example, as the stock motor from E-Flite comes with extensions from the mfgr.
Many customers do not wish to extend the wires themselves.
Now there is an option they can simply choose from the web site.

Sure, Call me regarding the elevator servo mounts. I can send you a drawing to mark up if that helps.

I got my Habu2 rebuild finished today. Might make it's remaiden in SD, unless I get down to the basin sooner.
I think I made it too fast for me to fly again.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
Hey guys,

Do you have an idea when this will be available for the general market and the price? Maybe I missed that in the thread. Also, are you going to have a booth at the AMAExpo this weekend? It would be nice to check it out in person.

Thanks,
scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyG View Post
Hey guys,

Do you have an idea when this will be available for the general market and the price? Maybe I missed that in the thread. Also, are you going to have a booth at the AMAExpo this weekend? It would be nice to check it out in person.

Thanks,
scott.
Hi Scott,
The first production unit (for a customer) is being laid up at this time. There are 6 units that have been reserved, so we need to get them out before taking additional orders, as these folks have been waitng a very long time.
We are finalizing the design of some internal parts and need to get them fabricated at this time.
Air Sally (who did the molds, as is doing all the glass work) has the first pre production, flying F-20.
I have most of the parts for the Beta build of the second unit.
I won't be attending The AMA show as a vendor, but if you are in So. Cal your welcome to come by here to see the quality of the fabrication. (by appointment)
There are many photos in this thread (do a search for attachments to this thread) or I can post some pics for you.
I will be putting them up on the website soon.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
I can wait until you guys get it up on the website. I've always liked the F-20 going back to when my Dad took me to the Byron Originals show in Ida Grove. This one seems like a nice size.

scott.
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
a bit smaller than the Byron F-20 .....but yeah it is 47" long and wing span @ 27" .i laid up P-001 nose and canopy hatch last night and trimed and seamed those parts this morning that was about 4 hrs of work .im trying to see how many man hrs it takes to make one .....i bet im working for $5 an hour
i was going to try and make the AMA show but too much life stuff going on.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:56 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,992 Posts
I can attest to the quality of this bird. I spent four days in Vegas giving it a really good going over as I'm learning the molding process. Fit and finish is up with the best. Flight characteristics are quite amazing with lots of stability and very smooth maneuvers. I don't know what fan combo was in it but it sounded great and had lots of power. Only negative was the color of the prototype but thats just a personal thing so has no bearing on how nice this model is. I give it a 9.9 out of 10. It would look just gorgeous in the white scheme.

$5.00 /hr....... Well based on the hundreds of hours I have in my T28 plugs, molds then airframe it is more like one dollar/hr. I don't think that people realize how much time, skill and cost goes into making these models. People keep asking me to sell them a kit and I honestly don't think it is worth my time unless I charged $800 and up. Keep up the excellent work for I learn a lot from your builds.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,769 Posts
Thanks ACE yeah i was'nt adding in the labor or cost of the molds but i got to make something for all the time spent to keep the wife semi happy.