HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,652 Posts
the prototype was at 4.3 lbs ...with the 5000 batt it was @4.5 lbs. with paint it would be some where close to that as im hoping it come out about the same .there was a lot of weight added to balance the stabs.i hope some of that can be deleted .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Matrix 90 & 100mm sport jet
Merritt Island Fl
Joined Aug 2008
1,046 Posts
Is the wing full composite no wood? what do you have for spars and rib's?
Getmore Rc is offline Find More Posts by Getmore Rc
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,652 Posts
I'm using the wings we test flew to make molds from.ihave been using a .254" CF tube for a spar. tied into some ribs around the gear plates.I plan on some sort light weight core material between. Layers of fiber glass.so no other stucture will be needed .
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:55 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Stumax used Rohacell on the wings and H-Stab on his 70mm F-104. To date that is still the best quality kit I have ever owned of any size...... for detail and fit. Rohacell is near bullet proof and worth a look A/S. I am sure the F-20 will take the mantle. It sure is a sweeter subject IMO.

I have to confess, it remains incomplete due to our current runway limitations and the fact that I am still hoping to engineer a light weight retract install for it. They are rare and I don't want it trashed.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:05 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,652 Posts
Jay I know all about Rohacell . It is expensive to get in one mm sheets.ikve beenusing a core material call core Mat. It has worked well on some parts I've been testing. The stock F-20 used depron foam for a cor. It is light but too soft and can bend and get crease's in it.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:31 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,424 Posts
J and AS, I went to 1/16 balsa on my pylon wings back when as the rohacell laminate was too soft in handling, always left finger marks from strong hands on the skins, easier to repair also. Still easy enough to sand down the hinge lines for kevlar skin hinges too.
Thing is, with rohacell once it gets tweaked its done, balsa seems to work better overall though its a tad heavier.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,290 Posts
+1 for a balsa skin...all of Kens planes with molded wings use balsa...But then I also use just a fiberglass shell with no core..its a bit floppy feeling but that is only if you squeeze it with your fingers..in flight no problem at all if done correctly. My friends from Scalecraft have dont it that way for years...and its also less prone to puncture damage
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,652 Posts
balsa = to heavy and expensive....i got it covered.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:34 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Hey A/S, Are you still planning on painting in the mold?? No big deal really as out of the 5 on pre-order I will only have 2 painted scale-ish. The rest will be for high viz at speed.

I do like the Orange and Grey that Schub did when they tested their HST fans. NICE !
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Hey A/S, Are you still planning on painting in the mold?? No big deal really as out of the 5 on pre-order I will only have 2 painted scale-ish. The rest will be for high viz at speed.

I do like the Orange and Grey that Schub did when they tested their HST fans. NICE !
Since they are our company colors. mine will be very similar.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:11 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,950 Posts
Ours will be smaller and possibly faster so my orange may be "dayglo". I know that sounds tacky but race cars are often painted with brighter colours to compensate for saturation loss on television.

I know these will be rare birds and I want to ensure they stay well in sight. J

Hmmmmm FPV ? I'm not good enough for that yet.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:45 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,652 Posts
i use pva to protect the molds when painting .....so i hav'nt figure out how to do multi colors so it will either be paint (charcoal grey met)or primer ,or a grey gel coat.and take is going to depend on how well the seams come out ,and not sure how the control surface hinging in the mold and cutting the other side free turns out .
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:19 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,598 Posts
Not everyone would want the metallic grey. and the Gel coat would need to be sanded prior to painting by the customer, yes?

I vote for the primer.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jul 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Not everyone would want the metallic grey. and the Gel coat would need to be sanded prior to painting by the customer, yes?

I vote for the primer.
yes, primer is great
tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:15 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,652 Posts
well i 'll do what ever the customer wants. finding good primer is hard to do in Cali.....so i have to buy it in a can and spay it with a spray gun.or go out of state to find good lacqure primer.the best part about priming in the mold is that there is very few pin holes to deal with ..a bit of spot putty and some light sanding and your ready for paint.