SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:21 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,257 Posts
well, wait for the chinese to copy it, then buy it from hk for 150.

this is a hand made in the US by a EXPERT glass man..aka airsally who has been doing this for over 20 years. even at 380 bucks, what your getting is basically almost arf, FULL composite...no balsa here...detailed panel lines...setup for gear and flaps. for a 70mm is is pricey....yeah...but far beyond any other 70mm model out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikky View Post
I'd like one but $380
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,862 Posts
yes swat you are right.heres what has been done.
we were just going to offer a up grade kit to the stock kit to up the power and use ducts. so i made plugs for the ducts i put a 900-1000 watt Het6904 in it .i glued the wing on lined up with the mold parting lines on the fuse ....first flight was hairy put C/N saved it ,went into program mode while flying a out of trim wing ,adj the tailerons so he could half way center the stick. he was able to fly it around and land.i cut off the offending wing and reglue it .we made a few flight with it using tailerons only and i was not impressed.it was not anything like a F-20.by this time gary couldn't even get the kits any more.(i think there molds had proplems) so Gary and i decided to go this on our own.i installed ailerons and we flew it in 100+degree las vegas heat,with a bigger batt and rx batt to see how it flew with more weight.it went @121 set up like this and flew better with ailerons.so i started making molds in Dec 2011.i then built some smaller wings that could fit retracts and servos for flaps and ailerons better. the wings flew awesome and landings were nice not too fast with flaps .this set up had the velocity cool 4200 in it and the plane was in the 140's we put a 5000 xps batt in and it was hauling right up until we had a deans connector issue and lost all power .so since the crash i've been making the wing plugs so i can mold them.i have the nose ,stabs molds finished.working the rest of the parts now .it will except space retracts and brakes/struts. and i cant wait to fly one on Mach's and Gary's AMA approved alloy fan system.so we went from just a spar and retracts,ducts up grade to a full composite kit.yes there is a lot to this ..and im way behind where i want and need to be with this.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 23, 2011, 04:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts

OK now I know the story.
This is the whole new F-20 that is why it takes so long.
I thought It is just some modifications from the chinese kit.

tweeter1 is offline Find More Posts by tweeter1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:34 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,960 Posts
Hey Tweet, I think the other thing is, that the glass work is being done by an enthusiast with a full time job.....not a company in the business of model making. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
speedin n da weeds :)
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Feb 2008
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter1 View Post

OK now I know the story.
This is the whole new F-20 that is why it takes so long.
I thought It is just some modifications from the chinese kit.

Thats what I was thinking too... for $380
sikky is offline Find More Posts by sikky
Old Jul 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,719 Posts
A few more points that make this a completely new model.

..The gear mounts in the wing are now gear mount rails designed to accept Mini air reatracts such as the SAPAC that we have available, as the original was just a flat sheet of ply in top of the wing.

..The nose gear mount is custom designed to fit the same retracts

..The flaps never existed before.

..The cockpit/battery hatch has been enlarged for batter access.

..The wing spar has been relocated to accept the retracts, and is now made from carbon fiber.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:32 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
I want one.
Price is good ... About the same as the Vasa L-159 all moulded 70 mm jet from 8 years ago.

Cudos air sally

Bring it to market and I'll buy one.
It and the T-38 are probably my two favorite Cold War jets.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murray View Post
I want one.
Price is good ... About the same as the Vasa L-159 all moulded 70 mm jet from 8 years ago.

Cudos air sally

Bring it to market and I'll buy one.
It and the T-38 are probably my two favorite Cold War jets.
Kevin,
As you can see, we are still in the deveopment stages as Rodger makes molds and pulls parts. If it's not up to his standard, he fixes it or redoes it.
We have only taken one "good faith" payment for an F-20 kit at this time.
And will not accept any further payments until the kits are ready to ship.
Jayb1rdz has placed a deposit for 5 kits, to assist us with production costs. (mold materials, fiberglass cloth, carbon fiber, carbon tow, epoxy resins, elevator bearings and elevator pivot rods, plywood)

If you would like one, please send me an email. I will put you on the wait list and contact you when the kits are available.

Thanks, Gary
effluxrc@gmail.com
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
A few more points that make this a completely new model.

..The gear mounts in the wing are now gear mount rails designed to accept Mini air reatracts such as the SAPAC that we have available, as the original was just a flat sheet of ply in top of the wing.

..The nose gear mount is custom designed to fit the same retracts

..The flaps never existed before.

..The cockpit/battery hatch has been enlarged for batter access.

..The wing spar has been relocated to accept the retracts, and is now made from carbon fiber.

how do you project the weight of the "new" f-20 vs. the old one?

Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter1 View Post
how do you project the weight of the "new" f-20 vs. the old one?

Heavier...How much? Rodger can estimate better than me. I gave all my airframes to Rodger. I never weighed them. No need to really. The original was actually too light. The lay up was sooooo light that there was too much flex in the fuse. (not much wood structure either).
There are also more features in ours. The flaps will help with the added weight. For a light set up, 4s, 900-1100w (3200-3700kv) would be good.
Mine will probably be 5-6s. (Corys gonna love it. )
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:08 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,257 Posts
depending on the pack, i think we were about 4.5 lbs on a 4s 5000. landed suprisingly slow using flaps. all i can say is..i fell in love with this model after AS redid the wings....and the extra power was AWESOME. 150 mph on 4s....yeah...you know thats going to be insane fast on 5s-6s setups..
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,719 Posts
That's not bad at all Brent. The SAPAC viper is about 4 3/4 lbs with retracts, scale struts, and brakes and a 6s 3200 pack. The SAPAC L-39 with retracts, scale struts and brakes and 5s 3700 pack is about the same.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2011
1,145 Posts

For sure, We are going to have a great F-20.
There are some great fans from effluxrc but
If there is something that sounds like in this video
that would be perfect

Yellow Aircraft A-4 Skyhawk with Stumax Fan 4 (4 min 15 sec)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:59 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,960 Posts
It's like comparing a GT to racer. Both are great. I have a TF model with Stumax but that's a discussion on another thread. For this size model and for out and out speed and agility in the class, this little f-20 will go toe to toe with anything out there.

I have one of these fans in a SAPAC F16 Foamy that has been glassed over and it murders anything that has not been built specifically for high speed. I won't guess it's speed but it shames my buddy's model with a very optimistic stand alone speed sensor.

In this airframe.....and I have the SW it was based off.... +150mph should be in the hands of anyone who dares to push it !!!!
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,862 Posts
i think i posted the weight of the prototype a few pgs back with the new wings.we had increased the weight since the first flight and took a bunch of wing out of it.the last flight with the 5000 batt was the heaviest flight ,it still had awesome vert ,and speed was great ,and there more in it as i had no gear doors at all on the prototype.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY