HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:40 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
It looks great Roger. We will need a kit from you to have those doors looking neat.

I sure hope the current stock, or lack there of, is not the end of the production run. The little f-16s are fun out of the boot/trunk flyers but a composite F-20 would take it.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 25, 2010, 03:29 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
i like the fact as i handel it that there are no dings.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
i got my servos in yesterday ....so time to cut out some flight controls .the servos are the thin wing sevos from HC ,they seem nice and tight no slop. so i got some work to do.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:58 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
A/S, are you saying you’re giving up on foam. I have just recently found out the bigger foamy they are the more things they run in to, so I know what you’re saying about glass toughness.

Your feature’s you are adding to the F-20 look great. Those brakes look sweet!!!
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:49 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
i would'nt say im giving up on foam .i think a lighter airframe can be built .but with all the parts im making these days i dont have time to scratch build anything.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:35 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
lemo these wings are a glass foam glass sandwhich...so im still playing with foam
ok i cut into the wing to make some alierons . i choose to make the control surface about 1" shorter than the line on the wing as this wing has been stretched ,the thin HK wing servo barley fits . but it seems to work well ,well see how it goes in the air at 120mph. of course i ordered 4 of these, 2 for alierons and 2 for flaps..and sofar one does'nt work well that is the second servo from HK that has had proplems .i guess i have to order 2 more.the flap servo is really going to be hard to fit .i'll have to make the flaps thinner in width to get the servo in . the wing spar runs just in front of the servos. heres some pics .im going to look at using torque rods/tubes to control the flaps,with the servos in the fuse.might not be room for the gear door servos
Old Aug 01, 2010, 01:09 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,927 Posts
Looks good Rodger. How many degrees of down travel do you have for full flaps?
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Aug 01, 2010, 02:35 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
i have not cut them out yet .
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:18 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
This is my favourite project to watch at the moment.... until it goes in production and a bigger one is available. I am limiting myself to foamies until I get back to my own place and I saw that you and CN looked at small Great Planes f-20m foamie.....Tempting if I could put a 70mm in it. That could be fun for a speed contest but I would love to see this as a succesful stand alone project. J
Old Aug 01, 2010, 06:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,927 Posts
The Hyperflow fan that comes with the Great planes F-20 is 56mm. I'm sure you can get a 70mm EDF in there. You'll just need to enlarge the fan area with some sandpaper wrapped around a soup can. Folks do it all the time. (including me). The Phase 3 F-16 is one example.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:23 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
some more good news the F-20 put two more sorties in and flew well with the added alierons. in full rate the rolls look good ,if you do a slow roll when the plane gets inverted there is some coupling going on and tends to corkscrew a bit ,it could be the undercambered airfoil,cg ,or more ali diff is needed. the added weight of 2 small servos ,brakes and doors and a BEC to run the 6 servos now, did not hurt the landing .C/N greassed the second landing .the plane is very stable and smooth in flight. i want to put flaps on but it really is not needed ,it lands slower than a sapac T-45 v-1.i'll try and weigh it to see where we are on it before paint . Gary i think it time to commence doing this plane.maybe after Vegas if it cont. to fly this well on 800-900 watts ,i guess a LS 1400 or arc and the big batt might be worth a try .
Old Aug 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,999 Posts
That's a great update A/S and gary, I know mine is still in the box but if you kit this with all the mods I can confirm 2 more at least. One for my son and another for my flying buddy.... an maybe another for my reserve bench. J
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:48 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
some more good news the F-20 put two more sorties in and flew well with the added alierons. in full rate the rolls look good ,if you do a slow roll when the plane gets inverted there is some coupling going on and tends to corkscrew a bit ,it could be the undercambered airfoil,cg ,or more ali diff is needed. the added weight of 2 small servos ,brakes and doors and a BEC to run the 6 servos now, did not hurt the landing .C/N greassed the second landing .the plane is very stable and smooth in flight. i want to put flaps on but it really is not needed ,it lands slower than a sapac T-45 v-1.i'll try and weigh it to see where we are on it before paint . Gary i think it time to commence doing this plane.maybe after Vegas if it cont. to fly this well on 800-900 watts ,i guess a LS 1400 or arc and the big batt might be worth a try .
For some good 1200w+ speed: The ARC 28/47-1, CC 125 on 4-5s...or, the 28-58-1 on 5-6s, CC ICE100

We might get back to testing the Squall on 7s (for short filght, speed runs only) tomorrow. Since I totaled the MONSTER f-15 today (lost orientation after sunset)
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:03 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,280 Posts
sorry to hear about the 15 .....what is the kv on the 28 58 1.....i have 2 3s 3000 batts ...there only 20 c .....i might be better with a 28 47 1 as i have 4s 5000 and a 5s 5000 30c the 5s is the black XPS the 4s is the silver XPS batts. with that set up the flaps would be needed as it could gain about 12 oz. or so ..heavier motor ,batt and esc. hard to beat what i got in there now. we think the main gear doors helped some ,the airframe noise was less,but there is still some there.
im at a point where any more bells and whistles will need a onboard rec batt ,(1100 A123) i need a servo for the brakes and if i do gear doors it may take 3 more for that.lets see i have 6 now +2 for flaps+1 for brakes+3 for doors..thats like 12 servos plus i'll need a "y" reverser for the elev to free up the last chanel for doors ...or a seq. valve/switch. a lot of weight . i may do the flaps and try with one servo ,time to paint it up and enjoy it