HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:46 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,992 Posts
Sounds like you had a better time than me just checking it out from the office computer.
I thought about modding the wing as cn showed with the tape but I am concerned that it mght lose too much lift with the centre of pressure being moved so far and who knows where the cg would be. Best to wait for the experts to do it right.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:48 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
well it was a roll to the left with left trim im sure it will only get better ....now wheres my saw i got some surgery to do
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:55 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
I have to admit, that was a better landing than I expected Good job setting her down, CN.

I don't know how you guys put up with the constant noise pollution from the greasers... they sound like a swarm of annoying bees...
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:03 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
yeah and Gene was flying one. with a prop
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:11 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,912 Posts
Glen,
Yeah, being a holiday, it was a zoo. everthing from a 7 foot paper airplane (constucted by glueing 1/2" foam insulation board) to the usual turbines, and everything in between.
Funny how we used to love the sound of nitro engines. Now even the 2 strokes seem to be annoying.

The Viper will fly tomorrow and maybe Wed. Man we got some super thick air goin' on here. Not seasonal at all. That sucks....and will be my excuse for taking the coveted Viper Cup.
Kinda like having a jerry can full of desiel.

Rodger.
I missed it!
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:27 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
What makes your air thick? Is it cold and dry there?

...and Gene flying a prop slimer!?! That's as wrong as (insert your favorite phrase)!!!
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,912 Posts
Morning drizzle. Very high humidity all day.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:33 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Humidity will raise the density altitude, therefore decreasing the 'thickness' of your air. I know it feels heavy, but humid air is less dense than bone-dry air.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,912 Posts
So well be faster in the clouds? have tried to fly at Pikes Peak yet?
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Hmmm... that's a good idea... Afterall, clouds are made of vapor, so if they were heavier than regular air then they would crash into the ground... You just gave me my next secret on how to get more speed out of all of my jets...

No I've never been to Pike's Peak... Played the race course on Gran Turismo a few times, though.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:55 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,912 Posts
I thought I saw you telling someone you wanted to test fly at that atitude, then down at 500ASL at your relatives (if there was room in the car) to see what the real world difference was.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Yeah I'd love to do testing for myself to disprove (or prove) the myth that altitude makes a difference in an EDF's top speed, but until then I will continue to disprove the myth that a more humid air results in heavier, slower air.

...and by the I meant I was being sarcastic.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 04:43 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
i remove the back bone of a xacto razor saw ...and sawed threw the bond line at the fuse ...staying away from the spar ....i had to lower the LE of the LEX
.100" to make it even with the right wing .this measurement was taken from the bottom of the fuse to the bottom of the LEX,since i could see the mold line on the wing was'nt in the middle of the LEX either. i then went to the TE it measure from the bottom of the fuse almost even on both sides ,but i elected to raise the T.E, .040 " . we had full left trim put in so i took it all out and we'll start in the middle for flight #3. i now really dont like the slop im seeing in the stabs so i'll replace the servo with some better ones .and i'll add the Sapac brakes that Gary sells .im not afraid to add a little weight to this F-20 based on how it flew today .
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:07 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
What's the name of that character from "Toy Story" with the cowboy hat. I am doing an impression of him right now !!!!

Did C/N ever hit WOT after take-off?

That is one beautiful looking model. The wing is too big visually but I would be more than happy to see my one in the air.

I'm surprised you trusted the 60 amp HW esc in such a rare gem. Did you have a flight pack as well?

Great work team. J
the motor and esc have been rock solid for me ....at WOT im pushing more than 60 amps but the ESc has so far been a good one .no flight pack just the BEc in the esc.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:01 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
ailerons are the way to go on this bird. the second landing was much nicer, and it really glides nice, and lands slow.
Been keeping an eye an this thread and really pleased with the success of the first flights. Just a thought for future marketing Gary. This model could possibly perform well as a slope glider. There is a growing interest in PSS (Power Scale Soaring - previously Power Slope Scale) flying worldwide and there is a demand for well detailed models. With this F-20's slightly oversized wing it could be a good slopey just as is. Might be worth getting someone to build one as a slopey in the future just to see how it would go - ailerons would be a must and the fuse would need to be strenghtened, but slopers are used to buying short kits and modding them themselves.

Just a thought. Looking forward to the next flights.
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SLS for the Calypso Cobra