3,939 Posts
Good news? Video?
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Jul 05, 2010, 06:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,513 Posts
well mostly good news ....it took off in about 100-150 ft . but was out of trim and i had one stab sticking (push rod was rubbing in the rear former) this cause C/N to have his hands full with a twitchy plane in the roll axis . a bunch of left trim was required because i used the mold split line to line up the wings ...that was a mistake on my part as one wing ended up being off by @.100" that is my fault for taking the easy way out ,so i need to fix that . the good news is it is easy to takeoff and the landing was pretty slow actually and had good pitch control ,and even handle a cross wind quite well and once on the ground the "Sapac" struts really work well . the plane had good vert and appeared to be doing over 100 mph even with all the drag from the open gear doors and the out of trim issue . the kits C/G was right on the money.so all in all im happy with the flights ,i will fix my mistakes and see what we can do . Gary was there and took some vids. so maybe he can post some . it was over cast and a white plane was hard to see . all in all im impressed with the over all weight of the plane and the fact it was very docile and stable . we had about 950 watts on tab and 900 watts at 66 amps after the second flight ,batt volts was 15.38 when i took these reading .
i bought the sapac brake kit for these struts/wheels so that i can stop . the sapac struts that gary sells are awsome and roll with ease and are very quiet.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:02 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,919 Posts
Great result. Do you reckon hit would handle a more scale wing as well?

With proper ducting it must have sounded very sweet and at 900 watts I would be very surprised if 100 mph was only as fast as it went even being out of trim. It must be a 130-140 model with doors and clean frame.

Going BMW grey now??
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:30 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,424 Posts
Prototype F-20 TIGERSHARK

Here's the maiden flight video of our 70mm, full composite F-20 prototype.
It's little short, as I had to cut some sky out!. The white jet was a pain to see against the white, overcast skies today.
A control arm hanging up on a former caused some flight twiches. This is easily remedied.
This model has has full inlet ducting, a large carbon tube wing spar, air retracts, scale gear, and other structural mods by Air Sally.
Additional develpopment is in process, but she seems to be a sweet flier. The current main wing is a little large, but a redesigned scale wing, with proper room for the retracts, added ailerons and flaps, is being developed.
The next flight will incorporate pneumatic wheel brakes....and hopefully some color on the wings!

If you are interested in a full composite F-20 from efflux RC please e-mail us at effluxrc@gmail.com

Thanks to Rodger for his involvement in this project.
Thanks to Corsair Nut for piloting the F-20 maiden flight.

Gary

efflux RC Prototype F-20 maiden.wmv (5 min 2 sec)
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:47 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,424 Posts
Here's a few still shots from todays maiden.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,424 Posts
Here's the "little squadron" that A.S. and C.N. brought along with the F-20 to fly today.

Say "bye bye" to that nice Cougar cockpit Brent.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:54 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,919 Posts
What's the name of that character from "Toy Story" with the cowboy hat. I am doing an impression of him right now !!!!

Did C/N ever hit WOT after take-off?

That is one beautiful looking model. The wing is too big visually but I would be more than happy to see my one in the air.

I'm surprised you trusted the 60 amp HW esc in such a rare gem. Did you have a flight pack as well?

Great work team. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Last edited by jayb1rdz; Jul 06, 2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2009
697 Posts
.'

very nice F-20.

Thanks.

foamcrazee is offline Find More Posts by foamcrazee
Last edited by foamcrazee; Jul 06, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:13 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,513 Posts
my feeling is that a scale wing with flaps and ailerons is very doable of coruse landing speed will go up . the second flight was better after some tweeks . C/N said 115 on that flight with nice big loops . the amps and watts seemed higher than the last plane the set up was in . the inlets might be feed more air hence the higher numbers. right now i want to fix the wing incidence on the left wing to further explore the the envelope while im building a "more scale " wing. bmw grey for sure,i need to Cali make me decals ....maybe 10% smaller than Lance Norby's F-20. thanks gary for letting me be involved in this project .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,424 Posts
A.s.

I'm looking forward to the next flight. Can't wait to see her all prettied up.
I'm thinking first week in Aug or anytime after.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:58 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,558 Posts
well, the first flight was pretty interesting....thats not my normal landing routine.....it was all over the place, because we had a sticky stab, and sloppy servo's. not to mention, a whole butt load of left trim from the wings beeing glued on crooked.on the second flight(which i wish we had video of) it flew much nicer with the freed up stab, but i could still feel the slopyness in the servo's. i tried to roll it...yeah....i hate tailerons.rolls like poo. ailerons are the way to go on this bird. the second landing was much nicer, and it really glides nice, and lands slow. on the second flight, id estimate speed atound 110-115mph. thats only a 900W setup, and it has that HUGE wing, and open gear wells. we'll get it figured out, and i think it will be a REAL sweet flyer. was a good time hangin out with gary and pete. a good time was had by all.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut