HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:32 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
I dont know, the gws one works awesome for sure though!
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Saffron Walden
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Doesn't need zero wind!

Hi guys

I've maidened the Hawk yesterday and it flies like a dream. It coped very well with 7 mph (11 kmh) wind speeds. To get started, I set all the control movements to 50% with 25% Expo. This gave me enough control to get out of tight scrapes but I need to stop overreacting by moving the controls to the end stops.
I tried moving the CogG around and found that rolls and torque roles were best at 65 mm.

I'm flying with 500 maH batteries. With one, I only get about five minutes fly time but with the other about 8mins. Don't understand this since both are new!
Is it better to go to 800 maH and what sort of times would these give? Has anyone tried 1000 maH batteries?

With the 500 maH batteries, the plane weighs 205 grams. It was able to climb without any problems on less than full throttle. Would larger/heavier batteries need more power and slow things down? I'm not sure how much current the motor draws compared with the C rating of the batteries but with 20C/500maH batteries, 10 amps would be the maximum. Going to 800 maH would give longer flying time and reduce the discharge to 12C.
How much current does the C202050KV motor take? BTW: the kit is sold in the UK without going through HobbyCity.

I observed large deflections of the wings. Has anyone fitted carbon rod strengthening from the wing tips back to the fuselage - top and bottom rods would cover normal and inverted flight turns?
Would strong thread do the same job because it would always be in tension?

Iíll post some pics once I get the hang of attaching them.

retiredbri
retiredbri is offline Find More Posts by retiredbri
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:47 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbri View Post
Hi guys

I've maidened the Hawk yesterday and it flies like a dream. It coped very well with 7 mph (11 kmh) wind speeds. To get started, I set all the control movements to 50% with 25% Expo. This gave me enough control to get out of tight scrapes but I need to stop overreacting by moving the controls to the end stops.
I tried moving the CogG around and found that rolls and torque roles were best at 65 mm.

I'm flying with 500 maH batteries. With one, I only get about five minutes fly time but with the other about 8mins. Don't understand this since both are new!
Is it better to go to 800 maH and what sort of times would these give? Has anyone tried 1000 maH batteries?

With the 500 maH batteries, the plane weighs 205 grams. It was able to climb without any problems on less than full throttle. Would larger/heavier batteries need more power and slow things down? I'm not sure how much current the motor draws compared with the C rating of the batteries but with 20C/500maH batteries, 10 amps would be the maximum. Going to 800 maH would give longer flying time and reduce the discharge to 12C.
How much current does the C202050KV motor take? BTW: the kit is sold in the UK without going through HobbyCity.

I observed large deflections of the wings. Has anyone fitted carbon rod strengthening from the wing tips back to the fuselage - top and bottom rods would cover normal and inverted flight turns?
Would strong thread do the same job because it would always be in tension?

Iíll post some pics once I get the hang of attaching them.

retiredbri
Wow! So many questions...

Regarding the carbon rod spar - You'll see earlier in the thread that Boxhead did the mod by adding a 2mm carbon rod. I did the same after the first flight and it really improves the characteristics. I just drew a line on 60mm and used a solder iron to make a recess for the rod. It was then just taped into place.

With a 500mah battery this plane already flies a bit heavy, so I would never think of going up to a 1000mah.
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:06 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
I also put a 2mm carbon tube in my wing. It needs it for sure.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:50 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
RetiredBri, Yep it definately needs a spar or the wings will only flap till they fail. As the boy's have pointed out I used a 2mm carbon Rod. If you cant get carbon in your neck of the woods you can always use a Bamboo skewer. ( The type you use for BBQ's ). I used those alot when scratch Building. Their strong and light.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:19 AM
Joined Jul 2009
423 Posts
good idear.
Cici528 is offline Find More Posts by Cici528
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:16 AM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
I just noticed that Nitroplanes has this same plane in a combo setup. CLICK Comes with everything but RX & TX for $59.95 (no charger).

Spec.
Fuselage length: 720mm
WingSpan: 650mm
Flying Weight: 210 - 220g
Motor: C20 2050kV brushless outrunner
ESC: 10A
Propeller: 8x4
Servos: 3 x 5g
Battery: 7.4V 500mah Lipo battery

Chris
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:44 AM
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Some pics

Hi everyone

I used the great ideas posted in the group for assembly so Iíve taken some pictures of what I did:

1 This is the hinge using the tape provided and applied to both surfaces. It is very flexible.

2 I had some larger crank rod ends (these fitted the holes in the control horns better) and joined them to the carbon rod with a stiffening length of piano wire and larger heat shrink sleeving. I found the way shown in the instructions made a bendy joint.

3 I angled the aileron Servo so that the control rods/connectors moved without binding and opened up the holes in the mini push rod connectors to take the carbon fibre rod.

4 The rudder and elevator servos were mounted directly behind the wing. I found the carbon rod and servo wires fitted without extensions.

5 This shows the joined carbon rod and crank end

6 I used 3/8 x 3/16 hard balsa to stiffen the wings. The black front to the wing is a flat carbon spar to protect the wing from damage.

7 The UK supplier recommended this glue because it was flexible and didn't crack (it was not as brittle as CY) when the plane crashed. It is foam safe contact adhesive and can be applied wet (for joining the two parts of the fuse) or left to dry for instant bonding.

8 Rather than use stiff material to strengthen the front, I used depron so that it had some give when crashing. Similarly under the nose pic 9.

I've done about 25 flights using 500 and 800 maH batteries. With a 500 maH, the plane now weighs 220 g and with the 800 maH the plane weighs 240 g. The heavier batteries are good for windier conditions.

I time the flights and check only recharging maH to get some idea of current drawn during the flight.

Retiredbri
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:05 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
Sorry to miss your earlier question but it looks like you've got it all figured out.
I chose max throw after looking at the deflections I could get, and use expo to make things manageable while retaining big deflections to help make up for my mistakes.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:01 PM
Joined Mar 2008
41 Posts
Hey Guys... I love this plane. I bought mine from nitroplanes.com http://www.nitroplanes.com/91a-3dhawk-arf.html. The plane came with 3 servos, 10amp brushless speed control, brushless motor, 550mah lipo battery and all hardware. I added my own spektrum DSM2 receiver and radio. For $59.95 plus shipping everything came to around $72.00. My plane came with the 7x3.5 prop instead of the 8x4. It flew okay with this prop but was a bit to fast for my liking. So I went to my LHS to buy the GWS 8040 prop everyone on the forums seems to recommend. Unfortunately my local hobby shop only had the GWS 8060 slow flyer prop in stock. I bought the 8060 hoping the plane would benefit from this prop anyway. Not only did this prop give this plane more power, but it also gave this plane greater slow flight characteristics. I can now fly so incredibely slow and perform any 3D trick imaginable at low altitudes without fear of crashing.The climb rate with this prop is also incredible..!!!... At full throttle I can climb with endless vertical at a speed that's quite impressive. This plane ROCKS...!!!...It's flight characteristics are smooth, gentle and extremely forgiving. She prop hangs beautifully. Knife edges are a breeze and she handles the wind well. To anyone who is considering buying one?...Well what are you waiting for? Just do it. You won't be dissapointed. Whether your just getting into 3D flying or you are already an experienced 3D pilot? You can't go wrong with this plane.
Micro Fly is offline Find More Posts by Micro Fly
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:16 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Great review Microfly. With the added servos and Batt from Nitiroplanes looks like its a bargin. With the 8060 up front what type of time do you get with the 550 mah Batt supplied. Any pics available of your plane.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Micro Fly ....... only had the GWS 8060 slow flyer prop in stock. I bought the 8060 hoping the plane would benefit from this prop anyway. Not only did this prop give this plane more power, but it also gave this plane greater slow flight characteristics. I can now fly so incredibely slow and perform any 3D trick imaginable at low altitudes without fear of crashing.The climb rate with this prop is also incredible
Hi Microfly

I'm interested in flying slowly so the 8x4.3 SF or the 8x6 SF seem to be the route to go.
I've got some on order.

In the meantime, I rigged up my Eagletree logger and the attached shows the results. Using a 2S 800maH battery, the max current was 11.31A, the lowest volts was 7.25 and the prop speed was 9689rpm. Ove the 58 secs of the test, it took 80maH from the battery and the peak power was 84watts.

When I used a 2S 450maH battery, it was 10.19amps, 9191rpm but the battery volts went down to 6.47volts - I think this is too low . Over 60 secs, the battery gave 81maH and the peak was 68watts.

As soon as I get the new slowfly props, I'll do some more tests.

retiredbri
Last edited by retiredbri; Aug 23, 2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: corektshun of spelin!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2007
38 Posts
hey microfly does the that deal you got on nitroplanes for 59.99 include the charger for the lipo?
Da FrOg is offline Find More Posts by Da FrOg
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
Great review Microfly. With the added servos and Batt from Nitiroplanes looks like its a bargin. With the 8060 up front what type of time do you get with the 550 mah Batt supplied. Any pics available of your plane.

Bx
Hiya Boxhead and thankyou kindly. I'm getting just about six to eight minutes flight time with the 8060 prop. With this prop I can clip around at about quarter throttle without loosing altitude. With my stock prop I seemed to get a longer flight time, but the planes slow flight characteristics weren't nearly as good as they are now. I'm sure the 8040 performs great as well. Maybe even better than the 8060. My LHS didn't have the 8040 in stock and I was feeling much to impatient to order one online. So I grabbed the last six 8060's he had, and it was off to the field....

I'll try to get some pics and vids of my plane up by the end of this upcoming weekend. I plan on flying Saturday morning depending on the weather.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbri View Post
Hi Microfly

When I used a 2S 450maH battery, it was 10.19amps, 9191rpm but the battery volts went down to 6.47volts - I think this is too low . Over 60 secs, the battery gave 81maH and the peak was 68watts.

As soon as I get the new slowfly props, I'll do some more tests.

retiredbri
Thanks for the info retiredbri. I was also thinking of stepping up the battery on this plane. I was thinking of going with the Hyperion 850mah 25-45C batteries.
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=4505
They can be charged at up to 5C charge rates and the extra discharge rate should provide the punch needed for the electronics on this plane. I'm just wondering how well it will fly with the added weight of the larger battery pack?

Keep us posted on your findings with the slow fly prop/battery combos.
Thanks again and happy flying...!!!!