HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
Kostas
Greece
Joined Sep 2008
232 Posts
it's a well flying model. I use to fly it on the beach and some times there are many kids running after this. The truth is that I hit one by mistake but nothing happened not even a small cry . My little Hawk had felt down twice from some toy shovel and my transmitter had been wet from a water gun but we still flying by the sea. Great fun I'll post a video from my next flight.
I use stock setup with. Very powerfull motor.
Harriers are just a piece of cake. Knifes are a bit difficult I need to put too much aileron. Hovers easily.
kstmark is offline Find More Posts by kstmark
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:01 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Looking Forward to your video kstmark. Glad there was no damage to the plane.. errrr I mean the kid . There pretty light and sturdy the Hawk's.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:31 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Hi, the maiden went well today It takes some getting used to and the plane flies very well. It's really easy to hover too.

If someone is thinking about building one, listen to Boxhead's advice and add the 2mm carbon spar. Mine is going in tonight.

Christo
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:17 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Glad it went well Masehare with the maiden. Yep, it definately needs the spar. Great to hear its all smiles..

Bx
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:07 PM
United Kingdom, England, Saffron Walden
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Hi guys

Thanks for all the pic and tips.
Been away with some flying (Multiplex Mentor) and to Fanrborough 2010 airshow - Airbus 380, empty climbing almost vertially and then knife edge turns - awsome plus Extra 300 "Blades" team formation and acrobatic flying with smoke, C27J (2 engine C130) that looped and the Extra 330 prop hanging and then tail over nose toppling - pilot must have iron guts.

Anyway, I'm back to building and taking pics as I go.
Question for Dirt Torpedo, your pic of the (elevator ?) horn shows the control link in the hole nearest the hinge. Did you need more movement than could be achieved with the outer hole?

retiredbri
retiredbri is offline Find More Posts by retiredbri
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:16 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbri View Post
Hi guys

Thanks for all the pic and tips.
Been away with some flying (Multiplex Mentor) and to Fanrborough 2010 airshow - Airbus 380, empty climbing almost vertially and then knife edge turns - awsome plus Extra 300 "Blades" team formation and acrobatic flying with smoke, C27J (2 engine C130) that looped and the Extra 330 prop hanging and then tail over nose toppling - pilot must have iron guts.

Anyway, I'm back to building and taking pics as I go.
Question for Dirt Torpedo, your pic of the (elevator ?) horn shows the control link in the hole nearest the hinge. Did you need more movement than could be achieved with the outer hole?

retiredbri
It probably depends on the position on your servo horn too, but the outer hole provides enough deflection to make the plane 3D capable. Maybe try it like that first.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:19 AM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Got mine and built it today, maiden was in 15km/h wind, and about 10 seconds long in the back yard, it was tail heavy and just hovered.... Hoping for no wind tomorrow and Im going to move the lipo up front more. However, it felt like a rock in the air, my first plane build and it was easy and enjoyable!!

Thanks HK!
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:53 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer111 View Post
Got mine and built it today, maiden was in 15km/h wind, and about 10 seconds long in the back yard, it was tail heavy and just hovered.... Hoping for no wind tomorrow and Im going to move the lipo up front more. However, it felt like a rock in the air, my first plane build and it was easy and enjoyable!!

Thanks HK!
Great news quadracer! This plane is a beaut to fly in no wind. You can get it to harrier quite low to the ground.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:09 PM
Is getting old...
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
No wind today and flew about 7 500mah packs today in no wind. Flies very very good! It cant do some of the more 3dish stuff because it was my first build and its not perfect, flying upside down is a little bit tricky, oh well. Once this plane is beat up enough i am going to buy some depron and just transfer electronics and build a new kit from scratch. I can just fly it around my back yard unlike my pz t-28 (that I sold), and I enjoy it a lot more. First pack I tried the stock prop, it flew like garbage however, I bought some of these http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10046
and it flies amazing now
It rolls amazing too, no rudder needed and it just goes and goes.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:53 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
No wind today and flew about 7 500mah packs today in no wind. Flies very very good! It cant do some of the more 3dish stuff because it was my first build and its not perfect, flying upside down is a little bit tricky, oh well. Once this plane is beat up enough i am going to buy some depron and just transfer electronics and build a new kit from scratch. I can just fly it around my back yard unlike my pz t-28 (that I sold), and I enjoy it a lot more. First pack I tried the stock prop, it flew like garbage however, I bought some of these http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10046
and it flies amazing now
It rolls amazing too, no rudder needed and it just goes and goes.
So did your kit also come standard with the 7x3.5 prop? The 7x3.5 seems to be a good fit, but hobbyking is out of stock, so I also ordered the 8x4 props - it's good to know they work well.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 02:59 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Thonotosassa, FL
Joined May 2007
260 Posts
UPDATE UPDATE Grin, having a job sure cuts into the flying time.

put this bird together just like the box/paper said and it was very tail heavy witch is what most of the problem has been with this bird, add 1/2 oz to the nose, (yes I have the ESC & Battery to the very front). The otherthing I was having trouble with is this is a flat foamy and I have never had one before, so it flies different frome my other foamys. It has enough power to fly around and to go streight up, but not like a rocket.(Grin More Power) But it gets the job done and its cheap and give me something to throw in the air in the mornings befor work. Worth the MONEY. BTW full throws this thing does grate Tail flips & Flat spins, knife edge all day
oldfish is offline Find More Posts by oldfish
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Great Stuff Oldfish . Good Shite. Glad it worked out. As you said its great to have it in the car for a quick fix.

Bx
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
Is getting old...
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masehare View Post
So did your kit also come standard with the 7x3.5 prop? The 7x3.5 seems to be a good fit, but hobbyking is out of stock, so I also ordered the 8x4 props - it's good to know they work well.
Hmm, I think thats what it came with... It flew like trash with it though. After putting on that bigger gws 8x4 it flies 10x better.
I like to fly it tail heavy, but it makes it harder to do inverted and hover.... I havent checked my cg or anything, I just used a huge strip of velcro on the side and adjust the battery until it flies like I like.

The HK page says it comes with an 8x4... Are these 8x4? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10046

Because those are different than the prop it came with, and it flies better with those gws ones. I think mine came with a 7035...
Anyway, I love this plane... I wanna buy some depron sheets and when this plane is destroyed I want to build something from scratch
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
Is getting old...
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Just filmed a little bit..... I had throat surgery yesterday, so I am kind of drugged up right now... Anyway, I dumb thumbed once and mis judged the fence at the end... The first crash broke the motor mount and ripped it out of the plane, I just super glued it back in...

Here is a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qljMVojyiL0
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:17 PM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
245 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, I think thats what it came with... It flew like trash with it though. After putting on that bigger gws 8x4 it flies 10x better.
I like to fly it tail heavy, but it makes it harder to do inverted and hover.... I havent checked my cg or anything, I just used a huge strip of velcro on the side and adjust the battery until it flies like I like.

The HK page says it comes with an 8x4... Are these 8x4? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10046

Because those are different than the prop it came with, and it flies better with those gws ones. I think mine came with a 7035...
Anyway, I love this plane... I wanna buy some depron sheets and when this plane is destroyed I want to build something from scratch
Ja, those seem to be the 8x4 props to use. I've ordered a set a few days ago, so hopefully they will do the job.

Just for interest's sake, this prop is available in 8x4 too: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ropeller_8x4-E

Dunno what effect the different brand prop would have?