SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
the pics on the hobbyking website are incorrect. they have not set the plane up to fly, only to take pics. I have my plane set up exactly as Box has. Servos under wing, not behind. having said all this, you could place the servo behind wing, but simply move the batt forward to get your required CG, which should be roughly 1/3 of the distance between the leading edge of wing at junction of fuse, to the trailing edge of aileron, at same junction. of course you would want to fine tune the CG to your flying/preference. aft CG being better for pure 3d moves, like harriers and hovers.
I guess the advantage of servos being closer to the tail features is that you would reduce slack and slop.... but I haven't had any problems with Box's setup.
aileron horns- just follow box's setup. close to hinge line and anlged towards the servos. otherwise youre not gonna get enough travel on your ailerons.
I only applied tape to one side. tried applying to both but the hinges got too stiff that way
micman75 is offline Find More Posts by micman75
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Saffron Walden
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Thanks for that micman75
I'll get the hinges fixed and then try a dry assembly (holding the servos, esc etc using tape) to see how the CG lies.
I did notice Box used a couple of blocks of foam to keep the el/rudder rods from flexing when the rods are pushing.

retiredbri
retiredbri is offline Find More Posts by retiredbri
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:39 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Hi RetiredBri. Mate, as Micman said in his post try and set it up this way as he has explained. To fine tune your CG you can move around the Battery to suit your tastes. Tape only on one side of the ailerons etc. Too stiff otherwise. I did use a couple of blocks to stop the flex. Good pickup . I will try and get some close up pictures of my setup if this will help. If your new to 3D, for the first couple of flights tone down your servo movements a little bit just to get the feel of the plane and setup the way you like it. Then have full throws on your servo movement once your comfortable with it.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Jul 21, 2010, 05:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Saffron Walden
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Thanks Box

Quote:
I will try and get some close up pictures of my setup if this will help.
They certainly will help - thanks in advance.

Quote:
If your new to 3D, for the first couple of flights tone down your servo movements a little bit just to get the feel of the plane and setup the way you like it.
I've got a Spektrum 6i so will set up dual rate to tone the throws down.

With the set up and horn positions as in the instructions, do you fly with 100% movement on the servos or does this overstress the hinges?

retiredbri
retiredbri is offline Find More Posts by retiredbri
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:11 PM
Joined Aug 2009
190 Posts
I haven't had any issues at 100%.... no stress on the hinges... but as box said, you might wanna try setting rates at say 70-80% with some expo for your maiden.... then move up to 100% rates once you are familiar with the plane.
micman75 is offline Find More Posts by micman75
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:41 AM
Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6 Posts
Hi retiredbri i placed the esc just infront of the leading edge then the rx next to the aileron servo then the rudder and elevator servos which i sunk into the fuse bit like Boxheads. by having the tail servos closer to the front i didnt need servo extensions but u will need some more carbon rod for the control linkages because the stuff that comes in the kit isnt long enough. with this setup i have plenty of room to move the battery back and forward for different cg

for the cg i set mine to 60mm from leading edge and it flew great i also tried it at about 80-90 and still flew alright for first flight i would say stick with 60mm then play around with it to suit ur flying style

i have always been told to have the holes in the horns line up with the hinge line and i get plenty of throw

yes you apply hinge tape to both sides make sure u push the tape into the hinge cutout
josh109 is offline Find More Posts by josh109
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:07 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
246 Posts
Hi Everybody

I just got my kit yesterday. Everything seems nice and straight and the first part of the assembly went ok. I just struggled to find the correct glue. Hobbycity's foam safe CA didn't stick to the foam at all. So I ended up using a glue gun, just dabbing everywhere to save weight.

Just a question - are the double sided tape strips for attaching the elevator & rudder servo's?

Christo
masehare is offline Find More Posts by masehare
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:42 AM
Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6 Posts
Hey masehare i didnt use the double sided tape i cut a rectangle in the fuse and hot glued them down
josh109 is offline Find More Posts by josh109
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:49 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
RetiredBri here's a couple of photo's. The planes a bit dirty. Winter here, rain ,wind etc etc. It will give you an idea. I added Landing gear as it was wetting the gear all the time. Cant wait till summer.

Christo, from memory , Yes. good luck with the build.

Bx
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:31 AM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
246 Posts
Cool, thanks for the answers. Just another question - do you think not using the supplied stickers will save on weight? Or would they add to the structural strength of the frame?

Christo
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:57 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
There wouldn't be much of a weight saving by leaving them off and no structual strenght in them but you can always doll it up with marker pens. I put them on cause it was easy. What ever grabs you at the time..

Bx
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
For EPO glue I think it's hard to go wrong with this stuff, it's like rubber cement but it bonds EPO very well:
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ High Performance Industrial Plastic Adhesive 4693H Clear, 5 oz tube

It can soften EPO if put on too thick and not allowed to dry - just a thin coating on both surfaces, allow to dry, and then it sticks like crazy. Keep it off the fingers, the tingling you would feel from it is a sign that it could be damaging nerve tissue...

Easy to get in the USA, a pain in the butt to get here in Canada.

I just used silicone bathroom caulking to affix the servos in place.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Last edited by Dirt-Torpedo; Jul 22, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:00 PM
Cape Town
Joined Oct 2009
246 Posts
Ok, so I've completed the whole plane (stickers & all) except for the linkages. What a mission.... putting the supplied rods into the shrink tube is difficult, but it seems like the trick is to wiggle the pushrod into the tube. In the end it's better to put those special pushrod connectors on the servo arms. It'll make adjusting the lengths much easier anyway.

Other than that she's ready to fly. Can't wait!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:51 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Good Luck on your Maiden Masehare...

Great Shots Dirt. Better than my Phone camera Shots. Dont think we can get that Glue either in Oz. When I have ordered some EPP planes from China I have picked up some 3M glue, probably similar but has Japenese written all over it. Sticks like Shite to a Blanket.

Bx