http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=6634
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,164 Posts
finished my project on corrugated plastic.
390g
tower pro 2410 esc 10x4.7 combo
zippy 800mah
9g and 7g servos

hovering at little bit higher than half stick
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Mar 17, 2011, 07:57 PM
Not fly. Jump good.
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Looks quite nice DaxFx! I guess the plans worked well then. And the graphics look great! are they printed on the board somehow, or did you apply vinyl? Either way, it looks slick. Im also curious whether you needed a carbon (or other) wing spar, or is the corro-board stiff enough? I don't see any spar, but I thought you might've slid one down between the layers.... I'm not real familiar with the stuff.

I maidened my EPP Hawk clone but it was quite windy and the plane was a real handful. It was too screwy for me to truly judge the flight performance. That's the one disadvantage of having a lighter plane. Looks like I'll have to wait some more!
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:31 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrface420 View Post
Looks quite nice DaxFx! I guess the plans worked well then. And the graphics look great! are they printed on the board somehow, or did you apply vinyl? Either way, it looks slick. Im also curious whether you needed a carbon (or other) wing spar, or is the corro-board stiff enough? I don't see any spar, but I thought you might've slid one down between the layers.... I'm not real familiar with the stuff.

I maidened my EPP Hawk clone but it was quite windy and the plane was a real handful. It was too screwy for me to truly judge the flight performance. That's the one disadvantage of having a lighter plane. Looks like I'll have to wait some more!

the corro is stif enough. solid like a rock. i have the spar that took out from the old fuselage and was thinking on put it inside the channels. i think i will have no problem with wind since this one weights double but have double of power. i have not maiden yet i just make a hover inside my room for like 5 seconds and grab it again. at least she can hover for now. i am very exited with this. i have work with lots of kits those GWS kit that are a pain in the a s s but this is my very first homebrew. i want to hang in the wall and leave her there...... nahhhh lets fly her ..

thanks a lot Scarface for the plans. i notice that the wings are like 1/2 inch smaller in both sides. beside that just look @ the pics.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:12 AM
Finland, Kemi
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
How much it weights? Looks very nice and shows good in the air
My 3D-hawk weights about 250 grams.
I bought two pieces Dualsky 400mAh 3s 30C batterys and i will test them tomorrow. I waiting those batterys lot
Fillarimies is offline Find More Posts by Fillarimies
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:46 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
anyone know the stock esc programming mode codes?

Dont wanna go messing around with them really. I need to change the cutoff cause my flight times are only like 4mins on a 500mah.

Whats the best lipo to put on this plane for 3d moves?
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Mar 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillarimies View Post
How much it weights? Looks very nice and shows good in the air
My 3D-hawk weights about 250 grams.
I bought two pieces Dualsky 400mAh 3s 30C batterys and i will test them tomorrow. I waiting those batterys lot
my plastic version weights 400g.. if you are going to use 3s I suggest first to test in a wattmeter the esc. remember this esc is only 10amps. l
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:10 AM
Finland, Kemi
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Yep. I know, but I have flown this configuration about 50 batterys and it's works. I recommeded
First I think that it's not withstand, but it's work fine and it's not warming just at all
Fillarimies is offline Find More Posts by Fillarimies
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,164 Posts
today I maiden the plastic hawk.. wow what a great build. feels heavy but wind gust was like 15mph and the plane dont even notice. .. some hover, rolls, flatspin, harrier etc.. few basic 3D maeuvers and all went perfect.

now i have a 3D plane for those windy days.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:51 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,314 Posts
Just finished building my 3D-Hawk from Nitroplanes. It went together well but it was a little bit more difficult than I thought. Anyways one servo was DOA and I replaced it with a 9G for the ailerons. After building the whole plane and installing electronics the elevator servos is starting to go. It is twitching really bad if it responds at all. Anyways I have an e-mail in to get two new servos from them. Maiden will have to wait until I get the new servos and the damn wind stops here. We were topping out at 30 mph again. Anyways here are the photos of my Hawk. I really like it and hope it will help me learn how to fly 3D.

Weight:
166 grams without any battery
196 grams with the stock 500mah battery
214 grams with a Skylipo 800 mah battery
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
845 Posts
Hey AZ -
one of my other favorites in your avatar, the hobbyking "sttiP"
and with a super cub prop even better...
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Hey AZ -
one of my other favorites in your avatar, the hobbyking "sttiP"
and with a super cub prop even better...
Heck ya!!! Right now it is just about the only plane I fly because it is so windy right now. It can handle the wind very well! I love my sttiP!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,314 Posts
Alright so finally got to maiden my 3D-Hawk. It flew pretty well. I was having so much fun messing around with it that I dropped my battery down to 3.5v per cell. Anyways I noticed that during my second and last flight that the motor/vibrating was getting really loud. I went home and noticed that the housing on the motor is loose. Not sure how to fix this since it is held on with a lock washer from the motor shaft. I was messing with it on the bench and without the prop on it was not vibrating at all; with it on it was really bad and then I heard a pop and almost got a prop in the face! The motor broke loose of the foam and epoxy!

Now here comes my questions.

Do you think the motor vibration is from the motor not being secured well enough in the nose? I purchased some balsa and plan on reinforcing the area where the motor mounts onto the plane. I used epoxy to initially hold the motor on because I thought CA would not be strong enough and I have had issues with gorilla glue expanding into areas I did not want it to.

Or could it be how the prop was being held on by the propsaver? I have never used a prop saver before so that whole thing is new to me.

Or third is it the motor itself? I am already trying to talk with Nitroplanes about getting two new servos that were DOA when the plane arrived so having to deal with them about a new motor is not something I want to do. Might just have to get a new one.

Any input would be great. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:00 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,082 Posts
what flight times are you guys getting out of a 2s 500mah lipo?

Im only getting about 3mins tops, is this right. My motor is flat out the whole time while im doing loops, rolls and spins.

I love this plane even though i got it stuck in a tree for two days because the lipo fell out of the plane and i could only glide it. Got it back but needs a bit of fixing up but it will be fine.
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:44 AM
United Kingdom, England, Saffron Walden
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
..... I used epoxy to initially hold the motor on because I thought CA would not be strong enough and I have had issues with gorilla glue expanding into areas I did not want it to.

Or could it be how the prop was being held on by the propsaver? I have never used a prop saver before so that whole thing is new to me....
I fitted a balsa square and glued it in 4 places to the foam using UHU POR glue. It flexible and easily strong enough and damps down any vibration.

The vibration is caused by the prop not being well enough centred on the prop saver. Prove this to yourself by having everything except the prop and O ring and running the motor up.
I found the prop hole to be too large to be a tight fit on the prop saver shoulder and the rear face of the prop to be rough from the molding process. I carefully file the back face of my props (only use 8x4.3 SF) to be smooth.
It's not perfect but cuts the vibration down a lot.
Never found a prop maker & prop saver maker combination for this plane/motor/shaft diameter where it is a tight, true fit.

PS see my post #194 for some pics
retiredbri
retiredbri is offline Find More Posts by retiredbri
Last edited by retiredbri; Apr 24, 2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: to add link to earlier post