HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:38 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
I start the build. with D-board (corrugated plastic). is defently hevier than EPO but not too much. i think stock motor will be not enough for half stick hover. i will end something near to 300 ~ 320g flight weight i think, still a good weight but i will go with a complete new setup so i can pull out 500 ~ 600g thrust.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:11 AM
Not fly. Jump good.
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Hey DaxFx, glad to help with the plans, and thanks for the offer on some vinyl! I'll keep that in mind, I may have a use for some one of these days...

Good luck on the build, I'm sure it'll work out fine, though I'm curious to see the results.

I think I may have stripped my elevator servo while performing a 'tail landing' the last time I flew my EPO Hawk. It doesn't like to deflect downwards very well. After I maiden my EPP version, I will likely retire the EPO one assuming that I like the EPP one better. If I do, I think I will use the two good servos and the propulsion system for a small EPP Lazy Bee w/rudder & elevator. I have a couple of friends that want to learn to fly, and I think that would be the perfect platform for me to teach them on. I built a 23" profile one with a kfm2 wing and a tiny outrunner I got from HK and it flies great, but it has to go full throttle the whole time because it's underpowered and I don't want to buy any new motors in the near future. I spent a bit much this winter and I need to cut back. Anyway, I may take pics and if I wind up with anything worthwhile I might post it up in a new thread.

Good luck with your project!
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:44 AM
West Borneo
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
i was using 9g all around
Thank you DaxFx for the info. The kits have being sitting in the box for a month now. time to build he2.
aliank is offline Find More Posts by aliank
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:53 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,083 Posts
guys i finally got my 3d hawk. I put it all together and made the control rods and installed the servos. I mounted the motor and began trying to get the esc to work. This is where the fun began.

When i power it up it makes two beeps. When i throttle up it will spin up for about 6 seconds and then cuts out. Sometimes the throttle will work for about ten seconds but only if i do it straight away.

Im using this RX on the 3d hawk:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12586

The only way i can get it to work right is in HELI mode. Im binding it to my dx6i.

I have tried every combanation of plugging in the esc into the motor. I have also tried binding it in ACRO mode but I can never get it to work in this mode.

I even tried messing around with the pitch control and throttle control settings.

Someone please help me as i have tired everything and i want to get it going for the weekend.

Whats the deal with the programming mode, when it starts beeping up to 16 times. It did this a few times. Maybe something in that mode got changed. The only thing i can think of is to get a new esc and try that one on this motor.
stalyoni is online now Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:53 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
guys i finally got my 3d hawk. I put it all together and made the control rods and installed the servos. I mounted the motor and began trying to get the esc to work. This is where the fun began.

When i power it up it makes two beeps. When i throttle up it will spin up for about 6 seconds and then cuts out. Sometimes the throttle will work for about ten seconds but only if i do it straight away.

Im using this RX on the 3d hawk:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12586

The only way i can get it to work right is in HELI mode. Im binding it to my dx6i.

I have tried every combanation of plugging in the esc into the motor. I have also tried binding it in ACRO mode but I can never get it to work in this mode.

I even tried messing around with the pitch control and throttle control settings.

Someone please help me as i have tired everything and i want to get it going for the weekend.

Whats the deal with the programming mode, when it starts beeping up to 16 times. It did this a few times. Maybe something in that mode got changed. The only thing i can think of is to get a new esc and try that one on this motor.
i have the exact same problem once but with my trex-250. after tons of troubleshooting i found that my RX was in high speed mode and the ESC does not work like that i switch to normal mode and all went perfect.

i dont know with dsm2 if have a switch to change from high speed to normal.. but in my futaba system that was the problem. some ESC does not accept highspeed signal from RX.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:25 PM
Not fly. Jump good.
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Stalyoni, I don't know if this helps any, disregard it if it doesn't, but I have that same RX and I couldn't get it to bind with my dx7 even thought the light on the RX seemed to be lighting correctly when powering on, I had no control. I found that what I was doing wrong was plugging the servos, and ESC on backwards. I assumed the bottom pin (closest to the large circuit board) was negative (-) so I was plugging them with the black or brown wire on that side. I flipped them over one day, and it bound and worked perfectly. That whole time I had them wrong I never tried heli mode on the TX, and I never had any throttle reactions at all, so it may not be the same as your problem.

And of course, I'm not suggesting you screwed up or anything, I just know sometimes the simplest things can cause really strange results. The lack of instructions with these RX's leave some for us to figure out. The good news is, if you get that RX working, I think you'll be happy with it. I'm quite happy with mine.

Oh BTW, I don't believe you mentioned if your other servos were working or not.... If the rest are working fine, then I would guess you've got it hooked up right, and the problem might be in the ESC, and the RX might be fine...

Hope it works out for ya!
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:38 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,083 Posts
Thanks so much for the advice guys but i got it working

When i was messing around with it to get it working i must of entered the esc programming mode. After a little research i found out that when you power it on you put the throttle to full and it will enter the programming mode.

Does any one know the programming codes for this stock esc?

I got the plane going and everything works and it flies great. Im in love with it. Its the perfect little parkflyer IMO. Best part is that it will do mild 3d as well. I found it hard to hang it off the prop. I put a 8040 prop on it.

The only problem i have now is that my turnigy 500mah 2s lipos only last about 4mins. I think when i was messing around in the programming mode i have change the cut off. So if anyone knows how many beeps does what that would be good. I found my turnigy 800mah to be a little better for the CG. It flew alot better with this lipo.

I added a 2mm carbon spa across the top of the wing directly above the underside carbon spa.

I took some videos and i will upload some pics soon guys.

I love this plane and i might have to get the bigger hawk 80 as well.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 09:46 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
The fabrication is done !! the new 3D hawk made in plastic. it is solid like a rock. and have a 180g of fuselage weight. as i estimated i will end something in between 320 - 350 g . I have a tower pro motor that will fit perfect.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:25 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,083 Posts
OK guys heres the video of my 3d hawk. Im only getting 4mins out of my 500mah turnigy 2s lipos though. Is this about right? I think i changed the cutoff times in the esc when i was messing around in the programming mode.

I absolutely love this plane. What would be the biggest prop i can put on this plane or is the 8x4 i have on it about the limits of the stock 10amp esc.

Does anyone know the programming codes for the esc please?

Anyways heres the video (HD):

hobbyking hawk 3d foamie (5 min 35 sec)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:11 AM
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
OK guys heres the video of my 3d hawk. Im only getting 4mins out of my 500mah turnigy 2s lipos though. Is this about right? I think i changed the cutoff times in the esc when i was messing around in the programming mode.

I absolutely love this plane. What would be the biggest prop i can put on this plane or is the 8x4 i have on it about the limits of the stock 10amp esc.

Does anyone know the programming codes for the esc please?

Anyways heres the video (HD):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSgwioeUeN4
nice vid looks a nice plane in the air but i cant see any great 3d flying from the vid , was you trying to do 3d flying would like to see what it can do in 3d ?
bazzer23 is offline Find More Posts by bazzer23
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:00 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer23 View Post
nice vid looks a nice plane in the air but i cant see any great 3d flying from the vid , was you trying to do 3d flying would like to see what it can do in 3d ?
ill try and get a better vid soon mate, its hard for me cause i use the hat cam method to film my vids. Did you full screen the video. I did some mild 3d. Im still learning. Only been flying planes for about 7 months now but have been flying helis about 5 years.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
Finland, Kemi
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
Hi all. I have this model also. 3D-hawk, it's nice plane. I chance my 2s lipos to 3s turnigy 500mAh lipos. The bigger lipos are best for me and i recommend to all. Plane is more powerfull and funny
And original esc.. Isn't Needed to change
I have flied about 30 Batterys in a few days.. AWesome
Fillarimies is offline Find More Posts by Fillarimies
Old Mar 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Mar 2011
92 Posts
look at the hobbyking site the plane looks nicer than my epp plane must be something to do with the foam , only problem i would have is i would want an 10x5 sF prop for 3d for this size plane .
bazzer23 is offline Find More Posts by bazzer23
Last edited by bazzer23; Mar 12, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:38 AM
Finland, Kemi
Joined Mar 2011
28 Posts
This isn't problem. Put on bigger esc.. About 15A-20A.
Fillarimies is offline Find More Posts by Fillarimies
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,182 Posts
1 big question. any 1 knows the specs for the stock motor.since a break apart and i am working with the Plastic 3D hawk and bigger motor ,, now i have the stock motor and ESC waiting for a new fuselage,, but i need to know the specs. so i know what fuselage i can buy.