HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:15 AM
Not fly. Jump good.
skrface420's Avatar
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Good choice stalyoni. Bummer about your Yak. I don't know if I have any tips for you other than the obvious "keep it as light as possible". I started 3D-ing with a UM4-site, and found that it was a little easier to hover around than this 3d Hawk, but it didn't withstand nearly the ammount of abuse the Hawk did for me. IMO, that makes the Hawk a great practice plane. Plus, once you get good with the hawk, I'd bet your UMX extra should feel like a piece of cake, and you will not have busted up your extra as badly.

I used foam safe CA on my first 3D Hawk and I'm perfectly happy with the durability of it. I like hot glue for EPP planes, and IMO I think it would work well for the Hawk. I think you're on the right track with adding the carbon to the wing. It definitely seems to need some stiffening. I just used tape and it helped a lot. My stickers didn't seem to stay on very well, so you may need some spray adhesive or spread on some UHU or something if you want to use them. Otherwise, the plane builds easy and I'm sure you'll find any information you need in this thread. You've come to the right place!

Enjoy!
skrface
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Dirt-Torpedo's Avatar
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
The stickers work well if you scrub the foam down with an alcohol soaked cloth. I think I used some old vodka but isopropyl would probably be a good choice too.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
my decals went perfect withouth any scrub or clean.

for the glue i dont like Hot Glue will give you lots of more weight in compaare with CA that is almost weightless and invisible. for EPP hot glue is like a soldering machin once you clue it can not take apart never. that is good but to heavy and too messy.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
Not fly. Jump good.
skrface420's Avatar
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Yeah, the hot glue will be heavier. I just can't seem to tear myself away from the hot glue when working with EPP because it's so easy. When working with this EPO included in the Hawk kit, CA is definitely a good choice IMO.

Great advice on the stickers. I'll have to try that if I build another with the EPO. I never knew there was another use for vodka! On my first Hawk the canopy stickers seemed to stay ok, but all my others were starting to blow off as the plane flew.
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 05:14 PM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrface420 View Post
Yeah, the hot glue will be heavier. I just can't seem to tear myself away from the hot glue when working with EPP because it's so easy. When working with this EPO included in the Hawk kit, CA is definitely a good choice IMO.

Great advice on the stickers. I'll have to try that if I build another with the EPO. I never knew there was another use for vodka! On my first Hawk the canopy stickers seemed to stay ok, but all my others were starting to blow off as the plane flew.
how do you get the shape of the parts to be cut. mine just went RIP today. i was expecting this as i post few pages back. now is turn to try the corrugated plastic version. do you have some plans?
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:22 AM
Not fly. Jump good.
skrface420's Avatar
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Bummer DaxFX. I didn't draw any plans when I built my EPP version, I just laid the EPO pieces onto the EPP and held it down solid while I took the hobby knife around it. I do have the stock EPO pieces that I could trace. I'll have to figure out a way to tile them by hand as it will take a couple sheets for the fuse and wings and I'm nowhere near good enough with computers to draw something and tile it. I'll see what I can come up with...

Does anyone know if there are rules or laws against tracing the parts and scanning the sheets and posting them?

Do you still have most of the pieces of the plane where you could kinda piece it together just enough to trace the shape onto paper? That might be easiest, but if you're like me and you rip it to shreds to get your electronics out, that won't do you any good.

I may not be able to figure a way to get them posted, but I'll give it a shot, drawing them should be the easy part.
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:24 PM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrface420 View Post
Bummer DaxFX. I didn't draw any plans when I built my EPP version, I just laid the EPO pieces onto the EPP and held it down solid while I took the hobby knife around it. I do have the stock EPO pieces that I could trace. I'll have to figure out a way to tile them by hand as it will take a couple sheets for the fuse and wings and I'm nowhere near good enough with computers to draw something and tile it. I'll see what I can come up with...

Does anyone know if there are rules or laws against tracing the parts and scanning the sheets and posting them?

Do you still have most of the pieces of the plane where you could kinda piece it together just enough to trace the shape onto paper? That might be easiest, but if you're like me and you rip it to shreds to get your electronics out, that won't do you any good.

I may not be able to figure a way to get them posted, but I'll give it a shot, drawing them should be the easy part.
i dont have any usable parts. I will be very thanksfully if you can do the draw.
and use some segister marks and scan in parts. then eith the marks I can mount back. . that is only if is not too much to ask.

thanks a lot.

i can make a sample and send to you so you can get an idea on how to doit.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:32 PM
Not fly. Jump good.
skrface420's Avatar
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
I took 8.5x11 printer paper sheets and drew a straight line a out 1/4 inch from the ends and lined those up perfectly with the next and taped them together and traced the outlines on there. Hopefully you can print them out andline up the same marks and tape them and have the exact shapes. So far i have thetwo fuse pieces, rudder and elevator traced. When i get home from work in the morning ill do the wings and ailerons. Hopefully sometime tomorrow i can get them scanned and see where i can go from there. Ill update with my progress, and hope to have something usable for you in the next daay or two. Its no trouble really. It only took me about 20 mins to do what ive gotten done so fa, besides it wont kill me to have my own set of "plans" for future use.
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:25 PM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrface420 View Post
I took 8.5x11 printer paper sheets and drew a straight line a out 1/4 inch from the ends and lined those up perfectly with the next and taped them together and traced the outlines on there. Hopefully you can print them out andline up the same marks and tape them and have the exact shapes. So far i have thetwo fuse pieces, rudder and elevator traced. When i get home from work in the morning ill do the wings and ailerons. Hopefully sometime tomorrow i can get them scanned and see where i can go from there. Ill update with my progress, and hope to have something usable for you in the next daay or two. Its no trouble really. It only took me about 20 mins to do what ive gotten done so fa, besides it wont kill me to have my own set of "plans" for future use.
thats awesome. thanks a lot. ! i will wait.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:53 PM
Not fly. Jump good.
skrface420's Avatar
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
I got rhem all drawn. I did a test copy of them and it worked pretty well so i think itll work out if i can get them scanned. I ran out of time at home to figure that out but i brought them to work with me and ill see if i can get them done here. If that doeant work ill try wen i get home. Im still a little worried about posting them publicly, bit ill see if i can pm them to you or something. I dont.want to break any rules. It might be fine as long as im not selling the drawings, but better safe than sorry right!
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:18 PM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrface420 View Post
I got rhem all drawn. I did a test copy of them and it worked pretty well so i think itll work out if i can get them scanned. I ran out of time at home to figure that out but i brought them to work with me and ill see if i can get them done here. If that doeant work ill try wen i get home. Im still a little worried about posting them publicly, bit ill see if i can pm them to you or something. I dont.want to break any rules. It might be fine as long as im not selling the drawings, but better safe than sorry right!
send them to dax@dfx-design.com
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2011, 10:01 PM
Not fly. Jump good.
skrface420's Avatar
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
110 Posts
Ok, I emailed ya 9 pages, they are .jpg files from an @yahoo.com address. I don't know if I can do them in any other file type....

I hope that does it for ya, if not let me know and I can try something different.

Good luck!
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:53 AM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrface420 View Post
Ok, I emailed ya 9 pages, they are .jpg files from an @yahoo.com address. I don't know if I can do them in any other file type....

I hope that does it for ya, if not let me know and I can try something different.

Good luck!
Oh man... thanks a lot. I do recived. i will post my progress on this kind of material (corrugated Plastic). i hope it works.

man if you ever need anithing let me know. I own a sign shop if you need some graphics in vinyl let me know and I will send you whatever you need. thanks again.
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:19 AM
newbie
West Borneo
Joined Mar 2009
52 Posts
guys, since I only have HXT 900 servos, is it ok to use it for the kit? Thank you.
aliank is offline Find More Posts by aliank
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2011, 09:31 AM
Play tetris with my english
DaxFX's Avatar
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliank View Post
guys, since I only have HXT 900 servos, is it ok to use it for the kit? Thank you.
i was using 9g all around
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion ASW 28 EPO from Hobby City - thoughts? Angelo Electric Sailplanes 298 Jul 13, 2011 08:08 AM
Discussion the hobby city YAK55 .50e 3D ARF 98% whos got one???/ brett1984 3D Flying 339 Oct 23, 2010 05:29 AM
Discussion Problems with batt's from Hobby City?? Dagwood_55 Batteries and Chargers 27 Dec 21, 2009 07:06 AM
Sold 3D Hobby Shop 47''Extra 300SR LPU Iowa City area CptnBE20 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Nov 14, 2009 10:38 AM
Sold HObby city Techone "unbrakeable" 3d planes or Hyperion Sniper XL muskis2 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Oct 21, 2009 10:02 PM