SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2008
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
hey guys. with the stock motor and esc this bird can hover? mine get home toda i just finish the assamby and doing some test does not have power to hover. i went full throtle and push it up verticaly with my hand and does not stay or climb just went down like underpowered.. any idea.

i am using a 900mah 2s i add a carbon rod to main wing. i dont think is too much weight. servos 1x9g and 2x7g
My Hawk hovers at around 2/3 throttle position with ease. It also has plenty of power to pull up and out of a hover and has near endless vertical. Right now I'm flying with an 8x6SF prop with stock motor and speed control. I'm using an Hyperion 2S 850mah battery with a 25C discharge rate. My servos are the stock servos that came with the plane 3x5g servos. If you look at post #114, retiredbri has posted all the numbers for different prop combination's.
I did receive my GWS 8x4.3SF props in the mail. But due to windy conditions I've yet to fly the plane with this prop. I feel the 8x4.3SF may be a better prop for this airplane than the 8x6SF due to its lower amp draw. I'm still very curious to see retiredbri's field analysis of both prop combos. This is a great plane with awesome flight characteristics. In fact all of my other planes have been pretty much grounded since I've purchased this plane. I love the way this plane flies.
Micro Fly is offline Find More Posts by Micro Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:00 AM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Well i was flying my plane with one of my new 8x4.3 props today. Had much more power. Hovered around half throttle. But i was flying and then next thing i knew i heard "whoomp" and a piece of foam was falling from the sky and myplane had no power. I still had servo control so i landed just fine but im missing a chunk of the nose and the motor was just hanging off the front with the wires all tangled up. The motor mount and one of the screws is still glued to the plane. I think maybe the prop flexed or something and struck the front of the nose which took out the chunk and also caused the motor to break out of its mount. Any ideas?
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
So, the GWS 8X4.3 props for perfect? Ufortunately, my 8X4 GWS do not . Money wasted for nothing, lol.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:11 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
yeah they have great power
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,558 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to pick some up then.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:56 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,378 Posts
i put the gws sf8043 (8x4.3) and comparing with stock prop and this one. is putting out the double of power. remember when i post the bird does not want to hover. NOW everithing still same with new prop at full throttle it just want to climb out of my hand .

wattmeter result
9.8-10.9 amp
64.5watts
2s 900mah lipo
100mah in 45sec

there is a big deal between stock and gws props compare with my other post with wattresult from the stock prop.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Saffron Walden
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Prop comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Fly View Post
......... I'm still very curious to see retiredbri's field analysis of both prop combos.
Hi

Sorry I didn't get back earlier, here are some of the results of the flying tests that compare with my Static Tests (post #114).

I have made about 100 flights using 800, 500 and 450 maH batteries (8 all together) and with 8x4, 8x4.3SF and 8x6SF propellers, and varied the position of the CofG. I time the flights and then measure the re-charge current so that I know how many maH are used per second of flight.

The 8x4 propeller tends to make the plane go too fast so is not a good prop for beginners.

The 8x4.3SF propeller is the favourite. It can produce so much thrust to produce a vertical climb so high that the plane becomes too small to see and control.
At the other end of the scale, it can be throttled back for slow flight so as to practice all the manoeuvres.

The 8x6SF provides too much power, flies to fast and drains the batteries too quickly. It doen't really have any benefit compared with the 8x4.3SF propeller.

To give some idea of the times that I achieve, flying gently with the 800 maH battery and the 8x4.3SF propeller uses 1.06maH per second so that the flight could last over 10 minutes.
With the same setup but with mixed flying (harriers, hovers, loops, inverted and vertical climbs BUT NOT CONTINUOUSLY) uses 1.48maH per second so the flight would be limited to 8.5 minutes.
I donít fly for this long though because it would hammer the LiPos too much and shorten their life. About 7mins is tops for mixed flying and uses 600mah from the 800mah capacity

Using the 500 maH battery, flying gently uses 0.87maH per second with flights that could last 8 minutes. Aggressive flying uses 1.32maH per second and flights would be 6 minutes.
With this size, I limit the time to 5.5mins tops for mixed flying that uses 400mah from the 500mah capacity.

When I used 8x4 props, I was using 1.55maH per sec a lot of the time, with peaks of 1.8mah per second.

(Note: The maH per second is not an exact science, just an indicator of how hard you are pushing things. Has anyone else used this method and what figures are you getting?)

For now, I'll stick with the 8x4.3SF and try to focus on varying the correct CofG to see how much effect it has. Also, Iím practicing controlling the plane when the wind gets up to 7 mph.

The better flyers at the club think it's a great little plane to get you using all the controls while not having to worry about mistakes because it is quite hardy and easy to repair.

On a final point, the prop saver is a must (there been a number of threads about using prop spinners rather than prop savers).

regards, retiredbri
retiredbri is offline Find More Posts by retiredbri
Old Oct 23, 2010, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
my motor came out of the mount and i lost the screws to hold it on. How can i get my motor and mount back onto the plane?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
41 Posts
[QUOTE=retiredbri;16339931]Hi

The 8x6SF provides too much power, flies to fast and drains the batteries too quickly. It doen't really have any benefit compared with the 8x4.3SF propeller.

Good to see you on retiredbri. Thanks for posting your results in the field. Quite insightful...Although I do admit I did not agree with you at first. When I first flew the 8x4.3SF, I found it to be noisy, cause a lot of vibration through the airframe and not perform nearly as well as the 8x6SF. But after reading your review I decided to give the 8x4.3SF another shot. Except this time I balanced the prop ( Like I should have done in the first place )....WOW what a difference balancing makes. I must of flew ten battery packs today with the 8x4.3SF. And you know what?...I had a blast. There is no doubt the 8x4.3SF is a much more versatile prop for this plane. It might not have the low end punch of the 8x6SF. But it definitely outperforms in slow flight capability and tracks truer through loops and harriers. The extra flight time is an added bonus as well. So yes...I must agree. The 8x4.3 is the way to go. If anyone out there is still flying the stock prop? Do yourself a favor and open up this great airplanes potential by equipping it with the 8x4.3SF.
Micro Fly is offline Find More Posts by Micro Fly
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Would this be a ok plane to learn ailerons on?
georgerm is offline Find More Posts by georgerm
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:02 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerm View Post
this is a 3d plane. but I found that is way more stable than other non 3d planes. in fact this is my first 3d and i get hover for like 10 seconds the first time i try.
so mi opinion is yes, why ?
1- very cheap if you crash you wont loose lots of money. very easy to repair, very hard to break
2-very simple setup.
3- very stable at low speed. you can fly in almost anywere.

now if you are going to learn ailerons with this plane be sure to practice first in the SIM, I use the realflight and found that the FlatOut (non V-Pitch) handle just the same as this 3d hawk. good for practice, be sure when you get your first flight to go very low rates and increase by step flight after flight. you can start @ 60% R with 25% expo. and change the stock prop for a GWS sf8043

for the money of this plane you would never find a best value for the money. Think, for 30 bucks you can get an GWS corsair (i have 1) but is a 3 day building the kit a pain in the a s s finding the best electronic combo. if you dont use recomended battery you will have to carve the foam and make your own battery compartment and after finishing you found the cg was bad and have to make again.

the other way, Buy a RTF or ARF for a couple of hundreds.
Personally I hate RTF planes you will end with a lots of transmitter in your stock. and every RTF came with cheap radio system that restrict you a lot. no expo no rates, no mixing etc... and still a couple of hundreds.

the next option. 9 NOT recomended to any1) buy a RTF 4ch from ebay for $50. but. no spares in any place on the world. you crashed you trashed.

my first aileron plane was the Dynam Focus 400ep 3 years old version., good plane also but very fragile (hobbyKing now have an EPP or EPO foam version) wow 3 years with me and still flying like new but with more glue than foam.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Last edited by DaxFX; Oct 25, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:12 PM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
this is a 3d plane. but I found that is way more stable than other non 3d planes. in fact this is my first 3d and i get hover for like 10 seconds the first time i try.
so mi opinion is yes, why ?
1- very cheap if you crash you wont loose lots of money. very easy to repair, very hard to break
2-very simple setup.
3- very stable at low speed. you can fly in almost anywere.

now if you are going to learn ailerons with this plane be sure to practice first in the SIM, I use the realflight and found that the FlatOut (non V-Pitch) handle just the same as this 3d hawk. good for practice, be sure when you get your first flight to go very low rates and increase by step flight after flight. you can start @ 60% R with 25% expo. and change the stock prop for a GWS sf8043

for the money of this plane you would never find a best value for the money. Think, for 30 bucks you can get an GWS corsair (i have 1) but is a 3 day building the kit a pain in the a s s finding the best electronic combo. if you dont use recomended battery you will have to carve the foam and make your own battery compartment and after finishing you found the cg was bad and have to make again.

the other way, Buy a RTF or ARF for a couple of hundreds.
Personally I hate RTF planes you will end with a lots of transmitter in your stock. and every RTF came with cheap radio system that restrict you a lot. no expo no rates, no mixing etc... and still a couple of hundreds.

the next option. 9 NOT recomended to any1) buy a RTF 4ch from ebay for $50. but. no spares in any place on the world. you crashed you trashed.

my first aileron plane was the Dynam Focus 400ep 3 years old version., good plane also but very fragile (hobbyKing now have an EPP or EPO foam version) wow 3 years with me and still flying like new but with more glue than foam.
Thanks for the great and quick answer. i think ill go with this then thanks
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:19 AM
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerm View Post
Hi

Question: what do you currently fly?

I learned on a Parkzone Cub (no ailerons) and only when I could fly well did I add ailerons to the Cub and gradually stopped using the rudder to turn and used ailerons instead.
The Spektrum dX6i was good because I could set the rate to very low and set the sticks to be be correct (Parkzone used the right for rudder).

I have the Hawk and IMHO would not want it to be my first aileron plane because the wings do not have any aerodynamic lift and the plane does not have any natural stability.

just my 10cents worth

retiredbri
Last edited by retiredbri; Oct 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Fly View Post
.... When I first flew the 8x4.3SF, I found it to be noisy, cause a lot of vibration through the airframe and not perform nearly as well as the 8x6SF.
Hi Micro Fly

I've had problems with vibration on the SF props.

The pictures show
1 Front face with good flat surface and well formed hexagonal hole
2 The rear face after I filed away the rough surface. Even so, the hexagonal hole is not such a snug fit on the prop adaptor.

To see what I mean, pic 3 is the prop on the adaptor but the wrong way round. It is snug, fits well and it fitted to the motor, does not vibrate. Pity the plane would try to fly backwards.

Pic 4 shows the prop mounted the right way round and even after I filed the back flat, I doesn't fit tightly - The picture shows without the O ring, it wants to form a gap.
I've tried 2 types of adaptor and both the 8x6SF/8x4.3SF and they all do it.

The 8x4 stock prop has similar features (good front, not so good back) but because the hole and surface is larger, It doesn't wobble so much.

For the next lot of SFs I buy, I'll get a mate with a mill to skim the back perpendicular to the axis to see if I can get quiet, vibration free flights.

regards

retiredbri
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:53 AM
USA, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbri View Post
Hi

Question: what do you currently fly?

I learned on a Parkzone Cub (no ailerons) and only when I could fly well did I add ailerons to the Cub and gradually stopped using the rudder to turn and used ailerons instead.
The Spektrum dX6i was good because I could set the rate to very low and set the sticks to be be correct (Parkzone used the right for rudder).

I have the Hawk and IMHO would not want it to be my first aileron plane because the wings do not have any aerodynamic lift and the plane does not have any natural stability.

just my 10cents worth

retiredbri
cureentyl i have a gws slowstick and i can fly that very well. i was thinking of modding it for ailerons but thought this would just be cheaper and easier.