HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2003, 10:14 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,849 Posts
Discussion
Pat Tritle's Wright Flyer 03, Jenny Info

E-mail from Pat yesterday:

The 03 Flyer is finished, and the wing warp worked just as planned. The cover is silk and dope, like on the 09. The trick to getting the aged linen look is to soak the silk in STRONG HOT coffee for 10-15 minutes. Lay it out flat on a towel and let it dry. Then, apply it to the model wet, and finish it with 4 or 5 coats of Sig Litecoat. By preshrinking it doesn't warp the airframe, and using non-taughtening dope, it cures out nice and uniform but not real tight. It took a few tries to find the right combination, but this method has worked out well for me.

BTW, we have a tentative kit release date from Dare for the 65" (1/8 scale) Jenny. I'll be buttoning the plans up soon and we'll get the show on the road. It's been a long time coming, and is admittedly long overdue. The model is powered by a Dymond 05 with an Olympus belt drive and a 12-6 APC E prop on 7 2400 cells and 4 channel radio.
I noticed the discussion of the 1/12 scale Dare jenny concerning using ailerons. I've talked to guys who have done it with good success, but bear in mind, it's still very much a rudder airplane, even with reduced dihedral. The Titanic 3:1 S-280 on 8 cells using the Gunther prop is more then adequate power, and if you use an 8-6 APC Slow Fly prop it turns into a guided missile! Using the recommended 3:1 S-280 system and 3 channel, it keeps all the charm deserving of those graceful old airplanes.
Thanks, PAT
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2003, 11:23 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,849 Posts
Bigger Jenny Pic

Sorry, here's a bigger shot of 65" w/s Jenny
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 06, 2003, 01:52 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Pat's Jenny was incredibly graceful and realistic in the air over SMALL.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel