HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Joined Apr 2009
3 Posts
bump:
just wanna say that i was in my home town mall the other day and picked up this lovely little s107... after flying about 10-12 times i was starting to see potential modifications, the first obviously being the battery. so i started a search and came across this.

thanks.

but i didnt just go with a 240 mAh battery - i went with a WHOPPING 400 mAh!! why? because i could and its what i had laying around from my 4g3. i have yet to put the canopy back on, but i figure i can smush it in there pretty good. i plugged it in to see if it would charge and it did as expected, and even with only 60 seconds or so of charge, i can tell a HUGE difference.

cant wait to test out how she flies and see if the weight makes it unwieldy or if its worth it flying time wise.

EDIT: canopy is back on, was a REALLY tight fit. definately weighs more, not sure how much since i dont have a scale. the weight is too far forward though, a better approach would probably be to use a disconnect type connector that allows you to tape the battery to the bottom, and that way you can charge another while flying. its not totally horrible, just likes to fly forward more lol.
zero2005 is offline Find More Posts by zero2005
Last edited by zero2005; Aug 24, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Motors hot?
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Aug 25, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:07 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
I would bet money they are.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Two batteries in series is what's fun...for the brave.

I did NOT advise this.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:32 PM
Up... Up... And away !
Portugal
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
hi there, just one doubt.

If i buy a syma s107 lets pretend:

It arrives with a battery that has integrated circuit... can i replace it by a new 240 mah without integrated protection ? Do i have to mannualy shut it down after 30 minutes on charge or it works like the original one and shuts down automatically ?
ricardoliveira is offline Find More Posts by ricardoliveira
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoliveira View Post
It arrives with a battery that has integrated circuit... can i replace it by a new 240 mah without integrated protection ? Do i have to mannualy shut it down after 30 minutes on charge or it works like the original one and shuts down automatically ?
It's my understanding that
The included USB charger does not have any charge protection circuit in it so your using the circuit on the battery to provide the charge protection.
You could use a Lipo wall charger with built-in protection like the one that comes with the Syma mini chinook.
You could also carefully un-solder the circuit board from the S107 battery and then install it on your battery that does not have protection.
If you use the unprotected battery you could manually time charge for 30 mins but if you forget to disconnect you run the risk of damage or worse.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:07 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoliveira View Post

Alternatively if the USB charger that comes with the S107 really has no charging electronics, which I doubt a little, you can use a USB charger from a heli that has. I have a similar copter by another manufacturer, and made an eflite connector to it instead of the plug to charge the heli it came with. And it will charge an eflite lipo without any problems, and stop charging when it is full. So there are USB chargers that have some charging circuit even though they are just as small as the one of the S107.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:19 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I have a similar copter by another manufacturer, and made an eflite connector to it instead of the plug to charge the heli it came with. And it will charge an eflite lipo without any problems, and stop charging when it is full.
All my eflight batteries have the battery charge/discharge circuit board on them. The issue comes into play when you have a battery without a circuit board on it.
The battery for the non-gyro mini chinook does not have a charge/discharge circuit board on them.
I attempted to charge it with the USB plug from my S107 and it never stopped charging.
The mini chinook came with a wall charger.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 05:37 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
All my eflight batteries have the battery charge/discharge circuit board on them. The issue comes into play when you have a battery without a circuit board on it.
The battery for the non-gyro mini chinook does not have a charge/discharge circuit board on them.
I attempted to charge it with the USB plug from my S107 and it never stopped charging.
The mini chinook came with a wall charger.
I have charged some eflite compatible batteries with an USB charger that came with a 3 channel coax, and that worked fine. And I am sure on these batteries there was no charge/discharge board, since I took some of them apart to fit another connector, and found nothing but the thin metal strips that come directly from the lipo, and the wires that lead to the connector. So perhaps the Syma charger has no protection, but some others do.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Oct 15, 2010, 08:26 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
So perhaps the Syma charger has no protection, but some others do.
The eflight type batteries I was talking about are for my Mcx2 and they have the circuit board on them.
It would not cost that much more to have the protection in the usb charger.
I actually need to find one of these ubs chargers with the protection.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:50 PM
add lightness
Big time Minneapolis, Good Ol' St Paul
Joined Oct 2007
1,121 Posts
I just got one of these s107 from Amazon for $27.20 shipped and it flies and work great. The directions say it will recharge in 40-50 minutes. but I had it plugged into the USB charging cable and it never went off in an hour and so I unplugged. Everytime I recharge the red light in the USB plug is lit the whole time, never changes. so now I charge for 40 minutes on the USB and then I plug it into the remote controller tx AA batt charger and usually in 5 minutes the light on the tx changes from red to green. so maybe my USB charging cable is bad?
PositivelyJoe is offline Find More Posts by PositivelyJoe
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:25 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Maybe. Or just the plug.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:04 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyJoe View Post
I just got one of these s107 from Amazon for $27.20 shipped and it flies and work great. The directions say it will recharge in 40-50 minutes. but I had it plugged into the USB charging cable and it never went off in an hour and so I unplugged. Everytime I recharge the red light in the USB plug is lit the whole time, never changes. so now I charge for 40 minutes on the USB and then I plug it into the remote controller tx AA batt charger and usually in 5 minutes the light on the tx changes from red to green. so maybe my USB charging cable is bad?
You could have a bad connection or a bad USB charger.
The red light comes on in the USB plug when it is disconnected or the S107 battery is fully charged.
If the s107 battery is not fully charged and the red light won't go off make sure you have the charger plug inserted correctly and fully into the S107. try wiggling the connector alittle and see if the light goes out.

It should take more than 5 mins to fully charge the S017 with the TX so the battery must still have a decent charge.
Last edited by jtravel; Nov 17, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
...it is possible the cell was run down too far on the very first flight.

These need to come with a bright warning saying: Never, EVER, run the battery until it acts weak.

Most Tx's will default to green, if they stop charging, for any reason, I think. The Tx's circuit could be more sophisticated, and is sensing a damaged cell, while the USB dongle is just dumbly charging.

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
...it is possible the cell was run down too far on the very first flight.
Joe stated that it flys and works great so it does not sound like a bad cell.
The Red light in the USB charger stays on all the time like it does when it's disconnected from the S107 or has a full charge.
He is charging with the USB for 40 mins and then puts it on the TX charger for 5 mins and the TX charger shows its charged after 5 mins.
That seems to indicate its getting charged by the USB charger even with the red light on the USB charger staying on all the time.
I sure sounds like the USB charger indicator light circuit is faulty.