HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 09:16 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Was it really THAT strang of a question?
Yes, it was.

lol
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Was it really THAT strang of a question?
I haven't tried to bind two at the same time and I do not know why you would.

So my questions is why?

Do you need more channels or are you going to fly 2 planes at the same time?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 03, 2012, 10:07 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I haven't tried to bind two at the same time and I do not know why you would.

So my questions is why?

Do you need more channels or are you going to fly 2 planes at the same time?
Well, i guess i sort of had in mind behind the idea is to bind two similar type plaines togeather{such as two 4 chanell warbirds} that would be a stones throw in simularities, that at the time your flying one of them, nothing would have to change between the two of them,{other than having the one turned off at the time your not using it

Well at least it makes sense in my noodle.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old May 04, 2012, 12:28 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Hey Geotete,

Those numbers look pretty good. You should have plenty of power to get it in the air launched off a cliff as you mentioned.

Basic setup for our heavy-lifter Bixler.

Stock brushless motor
6x4E APC prop, about 24amps WOT static
Castle Thunderbird 36a
Castle 10a BEC
HS-65HB servos for rudder and elevator
stock aileron servos
HXT900's for flaps
Qty 2 Spyder 2200mah 3S bats in parallel, slipped into little holders under the wing. Each bat weighs about 180 grams.
AUW is about 3.5lbs, 1600 grams
Futaba RX, Immersion OSD, GPS, etc..
Gaffers tape used for extra hold. Gaffers tape rocks!
Must be tossed off cliff to get airborne. LOL

This beast is pretty much maxed out which is why we're building up a new 1900mm Skywalker. New plane will be much cleaner. And it will have a belt-driven gimbal for camera, gimbal will mounted in a very unique way. Got it all figured out. Should be awesome!

edit: GoPro mounts on the nose.
Shunyata,
Whats the recomended CG the manufacture sugest and what is everyone adjusting there CG too for best performance?
What flight times were you getting with one 2200mah.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diamond 2500
Old May 04, 2012, 01:00 AM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Which esc should i use for bixler with stock motor and 2200 25C Zippy battery? is this any good? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

anyone?
That's the exact one I bought for mine. It's still in the mail though together with my Bixler. I chose that one on the recommendation of having a 3A UBEC, and considering it's rated 30A, it should be more than enough for the stock motor even with a 6x4e prop (which is also what I ordered)
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Old May 04, 2012, 01:53 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
705 Posts
Servo question. Is everyone using the HXT900's? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

If so how? From what I have read they are very power hungry and with 4 you would need something with at least a 3 amp bec. Thats kind of crazy they draw that much in my opinion. Are there any other options?

I bought this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5_40A_ESC.html to use with the stock BL motor, but now I'm wondering if its enough.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old May 04, 2012, 01:58 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Servo question. Is everyone using the HXT900's? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

If so how? From what I have read they are very power hungry and with 4 you would need something with at least a 3 amp bec. Thats kind of crazy they draw that much in my opinion. Are there any other options?

I bought this ESC www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6461__Hobbyking_SS_Series_35_40A_ESC.html to use with the stock BL motor, but now I'm wondering if its enough.
They pull about 0.6 at peak, for 4x you are looking at 2.4 pull if all 4 are running hard at the same time.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old May 04, 2012, 02:07 AM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
705 Posts
That ESC had a built in 3 amp bec but I doubt it will actually work that high since they are usually overrated from my experience. I guess I might just have to hook it up and try it. HK just got a shipment in of them. I have some other 9g servos but they are from HPz. Idk what they pull amp wise.

These are the ones I have now. www.hobbypartz.com/9gmiseexis1.html
Old May 04, 2012, 02:46 AM
Australia, QLD, New Farm
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Quote:

I bought this ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5_40A_ESC.html to use with the stock BL motor, but now I'm wondering if its enough.
Im using them in all my planes (4 servo per plane) with no UBEC, ESC rated for 2A. No problems so far.
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Old May 04, 2012, 03:12 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
1 ail or 2 ail?

which work best or just the same.....1 ail or 2 ail setup (T8FG)?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:

HXT 900s are fine. Unless stalled you should have no problems. Besides, when have you used all 4 servos at the same time? This plane is a glider not an aerobatic plane.

Your esc choice is suspect with a 2000 kv limit and Bec that's probably linear. A 30 amp Hobbywing Pentium with a switch mode Bec is a better choice.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 05, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Apr 2012
116 Posts
How long do your Servo lead extensions need to be? I bought 500 but someone told me those where going to bay way to long, and that some voltage drop may occur, rendering them useless. Do y'all agree?

Thanks!
elcid79 is offline Find More Posts by elcid79
Old May 04, 2012, 08:14 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid79 View Post
How long do your Servo lead extensions need to be? I bought 500 but someone told me those where going to bay way to long, and that some voltage drop may occur, rendering them useless. Do y'all agree?

Thanks!
Nonsense.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 04, 2012, 08:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

It is more than enough.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 04, 2012, 08:18 AM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
HXT 900s are fine. Unless stalled you should have no problems. Besides, when have you used all 4 servos at the same time? This plane is a glider not an aerobatic plane.

Your esc choice is suspect with a 2000 kv limit and Bec that's probably linear. A 30 amp Hobbywing pentimento with switch mode Bec is a better choice.
Ok. I might just order several of those servos and a new ESC thats rated more. Not sure what the factory BL kv is though.