HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 02, 2012, 07:38 PM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandS View Post
I bought a Bixler ARF, and want to remove the servos mounted in the sides of the fuselage and relocate them so they'll be more accessible through the hatch. Can someone suggest/advise how to pry them out of the foam with the least damage to the foam? Don't know what type of glue they used, but they're stuck tight and when I gently try prying it feels as though the foam is going to break and a chunk will come with the servo...maybe better to cut them out with an exacto knife so I can control the amount of foam that comes with it?

Thank you.
I used alcohol@acetone.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
I used alcohol@acetone.
That's brave using acetone. I tested the SS foam with vegetable oil and nail polish remover (acetone free), I can't remember why, but neither seemed to degrade the test strip I used. Pretty resilient stuff for foam.

To answer bands question. The stock servos are probably held in with double sided tape. That seems to be the manufacturer's adhesive of choice. I can pop my servos out with a butter knife without damaging the foam, but mine are held in with hot glue.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 10:24 PM
Registered User
Eagle202's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
We ran the Bixler using the stock ESC with a 6x4 for a long time with no heat problems. I also installed Hitec 65HB's for the rudder and ele to ensure the reliability we want in this thing. Plus, it weighs in a 3.5lbs and needed tougher servos.

I then installed a CC Thunderbird 36amp ESC just because this plane is so loaded up with expensive gear... Anyway, the stock motor thrust increase was noticeable. So, don't sweat running a 6x4 with the stock ESC but you will gain some ummph with a larger, better ESC.

The stock ESC with a 6x4 ran about 17amps, and it runs 24amps with the Castle. Nice, eh?
I read a little over the 17 amps so it looks like that is about right for that combination.

Thanks for the info. I feel a little better about not frying my SS in flight.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 11:41 PM
Registered User
taz101's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
That's brave using acetone. I tested the SS foam with vegetable oil and nail polish remover (acetone free), I can't remember why, but neither seemed to degrade the test strip I used. Pretty resilient stuff for foam.

To answer bands question. The stock servos are probably held in with double sided tape. That seems to be the manufacturer's adhesive of choice. I can pop my servos out with a butter knife without damaging the foam, but mine are held in with hot glue.
Band said he had a bixler, they are glued in with some sort of epoxy. Sky surfers may be double side taped in but the bixlers are not!!
Yes you can can use acetone, just drip some around the glued seam, leave it for a couple of minutes and then they should just pry out. I just cut the glue joint with an exacto! Easy as!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2012, 11:42 PM
I need a bigger shed..
sammyc's Avatar
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I read a little over the 17 amps so it looks like that is about right for that combination.

Thanks for the info. I feel a little better about not frying my SS in flight.
If you really wanna be safe with that ESC, add cooling.
Put it on the outside if you really want the best cooling, or add an air intake somewhere before ESC on nose, just to get a little bit of airflow happening.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 03:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Which esc should i use for bixler with stock motor and 2200 25C Zippy battery? is this any good? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

i need to buy it to day and i cant wait.
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 03:36 AM
Registered User
makind's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Morningside
Joined Apr 2011
143 Posts
bixler removable tail

i realized i didnt send any pictures of my finished Bixler.
Removable tail on two screws, laminated bottom with 2x50g glass.
I had to add 45g in nose. I was not able to get right CG with 2200mah. Wing secured with velcro.
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 03:37 AM
Registered User
makind's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Morningside
Joined Apr 2011
143 Posts
and here is my gopro camera mount
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 04:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
That's brave using acetone. I tested the SS foam with vegetable oil and nail polish remover (acetone free), I can't remember why, but neither seemed to degrade the test strip I used. Pretty resilient stuff for foam.

To answer bands question. The stock servos are probably held in with double sided tape. That seems to be the manufacturer's adhesive of choice. I can pop my servos out with a butter knife without damaging the foam, but mine are held in with hot glue.
No, they are glued in...I have the two halves of the fuselage before me and can see the glue if one looks closely in the small gap along one side of one of the servos.

I'll test a scrap piece of the foam with rubbing alcohol, since it appears there's so many variations of these planes and being my first R/C toy I'm not confident in my ability to look at the foam and know the type and whether it'd be safe to use the isopropyl on it.

Thank you for advice/feedback.
BandS is offline Find More Posts by BandS
Last edited by BandS; May 03, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Re: my original question about removing the servos from a Bixler; does "hot glue" have a "rubbery" texture after drying? I pried the motor and stack of wooden discs out,and the glue used in that application on this Bixler is rubbery as I scrape/cut it from the sides of the discs. I'm assuming the same glue would've been used for the servos, washers in nose, and the strips in the wings covering the wire leads to those servos.

This Bixler has the servos for the tail control surfaces mounted inside the fuselage with the wire that runs to the control surfaces laying in a channel on the outside of each fuselage half. I'm wanting to move the servos to a location under the canopy opening, so they'll be more easily accessible in the future after the fuselage halves are put together...does anyone have advise about whether I should leave the wire rods in the channels on the outside of the fuselage or move them inside and then out through exits near the tail?

Tried prying one of the strips of foam that covers the channel where the servo leads run through the wing, and it will split/break the foam if forced, so quit until I find out if the alcohol trick works on the glue without damaging the foam. Does anyone know if the servo leads running from the servos in the wings are one long set of wires or plugged into an extension near the servo? (This is a Bixler). Tried holding the wing up to a bright light looking for shadows/outlines and could not tell.

This is my first R/C plane, so every thing about this is new to me, as I try to apply the modifications listed in this thread

Thank you.
BandS is offline Find More Posts by BandS
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 06:18 AM
Registered User
AshtonFlyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
hot glue dries clear and is 'rubbery' enough to take a fingernail indent when hard.

It's also a sod to cut IMO
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 06:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Ive just been thinking about an FPV setup any chance you could PM me details of the setup your using? Cheers
Most of the details are in the YouTube description.
epyonxero is online now Find More Posts by epyonxero
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 06:47 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2012
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandS View Post
Re: my original question about removing the servos from a Bixler; does "hot glue" have a "rubbery" texture after drying? I pried the motor and stack of wooden discs out,and the glue used in that application on this Bixler is rubbery as I scrape/cut it from the sides of the discs. I'm assuming the same glue would've been used for the servos, washers in nose, and the strips in the wings covering the wire leads to those servos.

This Bixler has the servos for the tail control surfaces mounted inside the fuselage with the wire that runs to the control surfaces laying in a channel on the outside of each fuselage half. I'm wanting to move the servos to a location under the canopy opening, so they'll be more easily accessible in the future after the fuselage halves are put together...does anyone have advise about whether I should leave the wire rods in the channels on the outside of the fuselage or move them inside and then out through exits near the tail?

Tried prying one of the strips of foam that covers the channel where the servo leads run through the wing, and it will split/break the foam if forced, so quit until I find out if the alcohol trick works on the glue without damaging the foam. Does anyone know if the servo leads running from the servos in the wings are one long set of wires or plugged into an extension near the servo? (This is a Bixler). Tried holding the wing up to a bright light looking for shadows/outlines and could not tell.

This is my first R/C plane, so every thing about this is new to me, as I try to apply the modifications listed in this thread

Thank you.
Personally, Id leave the servos where they are. The stock servos are good enough that you really shouldnt need to mess with them. Keep in mind that the servos are installed where they are to give more payload room under the canopy, so if you eventually want to install cameras or other equipment youll need that space.
epyonxero is online now Find More Posts by epyonxero
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 06:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2012
937 Posts
Which esc should i use for bixler with stock motor and 2200 25C Zippy battery? is this any good? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_3A_UBEC.html

anyone?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 07:28 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
We ran the Bixler using the stock ESC with a 6x4 for a long time with no heat problems. I also installed Hitec 65HB's for the rudder and ele to ensure the reliability we want in this thing. Plus, it weighs in a 3.5lbs and needed tougher servos.

I then installed a CC Thunderbird 36amp ESC just because this plane is so loaded up with expensive gear... Anyway, the stock motor thrust increase was noticeable. So, don't sweat running a 6x4 with the stock ESC but you will gain some ummph with a larger, better ESC.

The stock ESC with a 6x4 ran about 17amps, and it runs 24amps with the Castle. Nice, eh?
Hello shunyata,

Can you post your complete setup and if possible some photos, from the layout?
Your CG is?
I'm asking this because I have a Bixler with 3lb and with a 8x4 APC I can't get mine off the ground!
My setup:
ESC: CC 35A
BEC: CC 10A
Motor: RCTimer BC3536-5 1450KV
Prop: APC 8x4 and I'm waiting today for one 8X5
6x Servos, 2 of them MG (AIL - RUD)
1x 3S 2200 Nano-Tech 45~90C (Motor)
1x 3S 1050 35C (Video)

All the best,

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM