Old May 01, 2012, 11:28 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
ok ...actually what I meant was w/o any aileron input but the motor is ON. the wings, hor&ver stabs are in perfect shape. emm...do you think this has to do with the motor angle thrust?.....btw yesterday I hvnt had a chance to glide it (w/o motor power) and observe.
Keep us posted on you next flight. specifically:
1. Does it yaw? or roll? when at WOT.
2. Does it yaw? or roll? when just gliding at 4-5 mistakes high (a LONG glide).
3. When going from off to WOT does the plane dip down or want to grab the sky?
4. Note any other oddities and post them here in this thread.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:33 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
will do.........ow...what do you mean in no.2?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 01, 2012, 11:36 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Explain my grammar

Quote:
4-5 mistakes high means that I want you to get the plane high enough for a nice long glide so you will have time to make note of any strange things going on. I look forward to your tests.
Oh, do a glide/dive test as outlined in the Pdf file below.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 02, 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
4-5 mistakes high means that I want you to get the plane high enough for a nice long glide so you will have time to make note of any strange things going on. I look forward to your tests.
AJ
ok..
Old May 02, 2012, 01:19 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
ok ...actually what I meant was w/o any aileron input but the motor is ON. the wings, hor&ver stabs are in perfect shape. emm...do you think this has to do with the motor angle thrust?.....btw yesterday I hvnt had a chance to glide it (w/o motor power) and observe.
Probably not, when I ran mine stock it was out about 5-10 degrees and it did not cause any yaw. I wouldn't imagine such little side thrust would anyway. As others may have mentioned, try an unpowered level glide. I would even try to let go of the right stick. The polyhedral should keep the wings pretty level so you should be flying straight without any right stick input.

Now just to be sure, you are yawing, correct? I ask just to make sure you're not talking about a gentle bank. If so, it is always yawing to one direction consistently and not just getting pushed by wind? If so, then something is out of whack. To me, the most likely culprit would be the vertical stabilizer. You could try taking a top down picture of your plane and overlay a line lengthwise that bisects it. This would show you if the tail is straight and if the vertical stabilizer is parallel with the center line. Whatever the case, you can probably eliminate the yaw with with some rudder trim, though it would bother me if my tail was warped.

If possible take a video of your next flight, if you could catch the yaw from directly beneath and from the front or back it would help us to diagnose the problem.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Last edited by Dkumagai; May 02, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Haha he means about 50-75 ft of altitude per mistake. Take it up to around 200-250 ft or until you're still comfortable and chop the throttle.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Probably not, when I ran mine stock it was out about 5-10 degrees and it did not cause any yaw. I wouldn't imagine such little side thrust would anyway. As others may have mentioned, try an unpowered level glide. I would even try to let go of the right stick. The polyhedral should keep the wings pretty level so you should be flying straight without any right stick input.

Now just to be sure, you are yawing, correct? I ask just to make sure you're not talking about a gentle bank. If so, it is always yawing to one direction consistently? If so, then something is out of whack. To me, the most likely culprit would be the vertical stabilizer. You could try taking a top down picture of your plane and overlay a line lengthwise that bisects it. This would show you if the tail is straight and if the vertical stabilizer is parallel with the center line. Whatever the case, you can probably eliminate the yaw witg with some rudder trim, though it would bother me if my tail was warped.

If possible take a video of your next flight, if you could catch the yaw from directly beneath and from the front or back it would help us to diagnose the problem.
come to think of it...I think it is ROLLING to the RIGHT and making a right turn and if leave out..it can make a full circle....I have to put left aileron just to keep it straight and if you let go the stick, the plane will roll & turn to the right again ....correct me if Im wrong?
Last edited by CPMBOY; May 02, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Bixler 31km FPV )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-AZ7J0vE6g
Sword is offline Find More Posts by Sword
Old May 02, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
come to think of it...I think it is ROLLING to the RIGHT and making a right turn and if leave out..it can make a full circle....I have to put left aileron just to keep it straight and if you let go the stick, the plane will roll & turn to the right again ....correct me if Im wrong?
In that case you just might need a little aileron trim . But still do a full test so you can get everything trimmed out. Then you can really start having fun.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
bro that banking not yaw ,trim aileron not rudder
presa1200 is offline Find More Posts by presa1200
Old May 02, 2012, 01:56 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Quote:
AJ
ajbaker, CPMBOY, Prof100 and All!,

Points 1 & 2/ YAW and ROLL

This one has always 'concerned' me to figure out to a degree.
On the ground the Rudder and Ailerons appear to be neutral.
You get plane flying and tends to want to roll/bank a little, say to the left, so you feed in right aileron trim to get level flight BUT was it really the rudder causing it roll? - the secondary effect of rudder.

So I'm think maybe land after it's been trimmed for level flight and check where the rudder and ailerons are sitting with the controls centred.

Are the ailerons set slightly to right to counter for a rudder that is set slightly left, which would mean the plane is 'slipping' in flight.
OR maybe fly the plane directly overhead to see if it's slipping/skidding.

Perhaps do the reverse of that and adjust Rudder to get level flight the do a low pass and see if the plane is tilted as it comes past.

Botton line is it the RUD or AIL trim being out that is causing the roll - Or warped/twisted wings, warped/twisted airframe, Vertical stab part of rudder assembly not aligned, motor angle and perhaps a zillion other things!!?)

If any of that makes sense!!

-B!LL! = confused!! -

PS: My Bixler seems perfectly aligned and flies perfectly (well almost) and amazingly I have not bent it yet - but like all planes, it's day is bound come ie: radio issue, jumping trees, pilot brain fade etc etc!
However I'm still curious with your thoughts of the above.
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old May 02, 2012, 02:05 AM
Joined Nov 2010
172 Posts
maybe this will help newbies like me
Trimming Your Bird!
A good guide for setting your aircraft's trim adjustments...
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/trim.html
presa1200 is offline Find More Posts by presa1200
Old May 02, 2012, 02:07 AM
Australia, QLD, New Farm
Joined Apr 2011
118 Posts
Quote:
Great. Especially the detail. Now, I am anxious to put mine on the test bench and see how mine compares. What was your Vm? The voltage above looks like an unused fully charged LiPo.
AJ
Updated:
there are my static results for D2826-6 + TURNIGY Plush 30amp + TGS Sport 6x4E, no external BEC

battery Zippy 3s 2200mah 12.59V
24.58Ap, 293W, 11.32Vm, 3.9Wh, 0.34Ah
12.13V after one minute
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Old May 02, 2012, 02:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
So do you have a standard or pusher prop installed? If it's spinning clockwise it's not torque roll causing the roll. Try to power on and off to center your servos and readjust your rudder and ailerons to as neutral as possible. Like FB said, hard rudder rolls the plane in the direction of the throw so this could be mucking things up too.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by presa1200 View Post
bro that banking not yaw ,trim aileron not rudder
thats the word I was looking for....yup...banking to the right.....anyway...will do some observation with the next flight.