HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA View Post
have them in mine. Work like a charm. Be sure and make sure you have them positioned correctly (facing same direction, opposite as you would for ailerons) BEFORE you glue. (ask me how I know? )
Heheh! Thanks for tip!

ceandre is offline Find More Posts by ceandre
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wic View Post
I have also installed flaps on my bixler with the HXT900. And I set a other SBEC in the Bixler because I also have two gyros installed.

But its fly very nice with the flaps. I made it at the same size some ailerons.

Best regards from finland
No probs I'll use external SBEC to power 4 servos (2x HXT900 + 2x 922MG - Ailerons/Rud/Elev.) and internal BEC from ESC to power 4x servos (2x HXT900 + 2x HXT500 - Flaps and Pan-Tilt camera servos).
ceandre is offline Find More Posts by ceandre
Old May 01, 2012, 01:12 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceandre View Post
Hi ppl,

I'm going to install flaps in my Bixler.

Since I dont want cut so much foam from wing, I thinking to use HXT500 for flaps, anyone see any problem with those lower torque servos just for flaps?

Thanks!
I'd use the HXT900's if you can. Else, try those. They just might not work well when flying at speed. Think about it this way. Like in a scale plane, deploy only at the rated speed, ie. going slow.

Also, I would recommend a UBEC to power the servos now that you'll have six. No way the stock ESC's BEC circuit is rated for 6 servos. A 3 amp UBEC is all you need. I've been using Exceed 3amp BECS on several planes, including my SS. Under $10.

On our FPV planes, Castle 10amp - those run about $22. There are others.

edit: I see you got it covered.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, VA, Quantico
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
I'm working on putting the two fuselage halves of my Bixler together with double sided tape eventually. I have this ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I'm looking for tips or ideas on where to place/secure the ESC inside the body and how to do that? It seems that it would be difficult to access/install the ESC if I waited until after I taped the halves together, but if I do it before, I can only think of velcroing it to one of the inside walls a little ways back in the fuselage.

Also, with the 40A ESC and using the stock motor at the moment, do you think there will be any need for cooling duct(s)?
AmishLou is offline Find More Posts by AmishLou
Old May 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
I'm siting mine outside, but that thing's a beast!
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old May 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Wing warped??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Mine is straight on center and no torque rolling. Go figure. Maybe my wings are warped.
Maybe with someone else. But, not you. I think your "go figure" covers it pretty well.. Next time I fly it, I will watch it very closely at WOT and see if it rolls or yaws. Maybe I am just correcting for it so fast that I don't know it is doing anything (even slightly) wrong.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 01, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:01 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Wing warp most likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post

I do set channel 3 (throttle) to control the timer. That is a great feature!
A haaa.....how2?

..I wasnt joking at all.....if she's up there..the tx will still be with me not with her.......so its logic right..............

oo..here's mine and FYI, my Bixler was turning right w/o any stick input.
Hmmmm.... Your situation is different than Prof100's or my setup. With no motor power at all, your wing almost has to be warped (best guess). Other possibilities (even though remote) - warped/misaligned horizontal stabilizer, warped/misaligned vertical stabilizer, twisted fuselage, or CG too far back. Since the motor is not powered on, it cannot be part of the problem. Let us know what you found when it is fixed.
AJ
Old May 01, 2012, 03:11 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishLou View Post
I, but if I do it before, I can only think of velcroing it to one of the inside walls a little ways back in the fuselage.

Also, with the 40A ESC and using the stock motor at the moment, do you think there will be any need for cooling duct(s)?
A few ideas. Like many, I used a plastic spoon for an air intake on the top of the nose a few inches in front of the canopy. It vents to the rear on both sides of the fuse.

ESC is velcroed in place. There is a BEC mounted a ways back on velcro. Everything is on velcro! LOL.

edit. I also tape plastic tubes and run the RX antennas inside them so they don't flop around nor need to be taped. Easy to remove RX that way.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Last edited by shunyata; May 01, 2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added one more pic
Old May 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Hmmmm.... Your situation is different than Prof100's or my setup. With no motor power at all, your wing almost has to be warped (best guess). Other possibilities (even though remote) - warped/misaligned horizontal stabilizer, warped/misaligned vertical stabilizer, twisted fuselage, or CG too far back. Since the motor is not powered on, it cannot be part of the problem. Let us know what you found when it is fixed.
AJ
AJ,

Are his decals lifting up?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 04:19 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Oh yeah....

Quote:
AJ,

Are his decals lifting up?

Bill
Excellent suggestion. Of all people, I should have guessed that one. And, we both know why.
AJ
Old May 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:

I do set channel 3 (throttle) to control the timer. That is a great feature!
A haaa.....how2?

..I wasnt joking at all.....if she's up there..the tx will still be with me not with her.......so its logic right..............

oo..here's mine and FYI, my Bixler was turning right w/o any stick input.[/QUOTE]

I would trim your rudder then. If you're not torque rolling I would suspect the yaw is coming from your rudder which may be out of trim. Your tail may also be slightly warped which could be causing your vertical stabilizer to be out of alignment.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old May 01, 2012, 08:15 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
A few ideas. Like many, I used a plastic spoon for an air intake on the top of the nose a few inches in front of the canopy. It vents to the rear on both sides of the fuse.

ESC is velcroed in place. There is a BEC mounted a ways back on velcro. Everything is on velcro! LOL.

edit. I also tape plastic tubes and run the RX antennas inside them so they don't flop around nor need to be taped. Easy to remove RX that way.
Whoa, decal on nose, different cockpit position, did BH put out another version?
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old May 01, 2012, 08:26 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
ok ...actually what I meant was w/o any aileron input but the motor is ON. the wings, hor&ver stabs are in perfect shape. emm...do you think this has to do with the motor angle thrust?.....btw yesterday I hvnt had a chance to glide it (w/o motor power) and observe.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Last edited by CPMBOY; May 01, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:33 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Mine is straight on center and no torque rolling. Go figure. Maybe my wings are warped.
straight?...do you mean your motor angle thrust?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old May 01, 2012, 08:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,369 Posts
Quote:
straight?...do you mean your motor angle thrust?
Yes, looking from the top the motor centerline is parallel with fuselage centerline.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member