SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Can I assume that "goop" in the blue tube will work too? I have a tube of it at the house, so I was considering not buying the plumbers goop.

I have the Blue tube Goop (all purpose) on 2 Ez stars. Just don't put it on real heavy.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:45 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I don't know anything about the blue tube goop.
As for the tape, you put double-sided tape on the 1/4" surface of the side of one of the fuselage halves. Then, squeeze the other half onto the tape that you just put on. The tape is sort of like the meat in a sandwich and the fuselage halves are the bread. Does that make sense now?
After doing some high speed - high "G" maneuvers and watching the empennage in a camera (the video is a few pages back), I don't think you need to put CF tubes in the tail feathers at all. If you are thinking of doing it for crash control, then, that would make sense.
AJ
Yes that makes sense. I hope it holds. Maybe I will smear some Welders glue along the seam of the fuse as well.

The CF in the tail was for added strength. If you don't think it's needed I will skip it.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I have the Blue tube Goop (all purpose) on 2 Ez stars. Just don't put it on real heavy.
I had a hunch you would know. Thanks for helping out.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:29 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Anyone - CF in horiz. stab or not??

Quote:
Yes that makes sense. I hope it holds. Maybe I will smear some Welders glue along the seam of the fuse as well.

The CF in the tail was for added strength. If you don't think it's needed I will skip it.
Really, it is up to you. Both ways are "right" AFAIC. Here is how I see it:
If you want additional crash protection, put it in.
If you want the tail feathers to be more stable, don't bother. The tail feathers are totally stable in all flight attitudes that I tried (see video in my post above). Sorry, I just hate to say which way is totally "Right" because I want to give you as accurate answer as possible. Besides, someone else will say you HAVE to put in the CF. Based on my video and IMO, I do not think a CF reinforcement rod is necessary for stabilizing the horizontal stabilizer. I have outlined my thoughts. If I am missing something, I am sure one of guys in the thread will jump in and offer a suggestion or two. 2500GENE-What do you think?
AJ
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:00 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
One more thing AJ,

The Wing spar, It just sits loosely in the channel. Do you think strapping tape is sufficient over the foam channel cover? I am trying to make the plane tough enough for aerobatic flight yet still able to be disassembled.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:09 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Hold that spar

Quote:
One more thing AJ,

The Wing spar, It just sits loosely in the channel. Do you think strapping tape is sufficient over the foam channel cover? I am trying to make the plane tough enough for aerobatic flight yet still able to be disassembled.
Use 3M Extreme tape and you should be OK.
AJ
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Giant Trophy squirrel

Anybody seen this photo of giant squirrel that was killed? It's quite a trophy squirrel.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:46 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
SkyS availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Anybody seen this photo of giant squirrel that was killed? It's quite a trophy squirrel.
I'm still being envious of you guys that got the cool SkyS from BEV and mad at myself for not grabbing one even if I didn't need it.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 12, 2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:53 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean you will use that motor (btw-do you mean Grayson -not gravity) in the future? Because, that will make this plane a rocket ship and certainly much, much more power than any BL or brushed stock motor. Are you going to use the stock brushed motor? I am confused.
Also, what on-board cam do you plan on using? And, I hope you will take some pics of your build and video of your fine work to share with everyone.
AJ
ermm.. I will build it stock for my Friend that will start in RC and maybe I will build mine with the parenthesis options.. and yes I meant Grayson hobby sorry for that.. Gravity hobby are my mini warbirds-sorry it was at late hours that I posted the answer)
anw.. I already have brand new parts for building both.. the Grayson hobby mod and the stock...
I will decide on the last moment
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:24 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Really, it is up to you. Both ways are "right" AFAIC. Here is how I see it:
If you want additional crash protection, put it in.
If you want the tail feathers to be more stable, don't bother. The tail feathers are totally stable in all flight attitudes that I tried (see video in my post above). Sorry, I just hate to say which way is totally "Right" because I want to give you as accurate answer as possible. Besides, someone else will say you HAVE to put in the CF. Based on my video and IMO, I do not think a CF reinforcement rod is necessary for stabilizing the horizontal stabilizer. I have outlined my thoughts. If I am missing something, I am sure one of guys in the thread will jump in and offer a suggestion or two. 2500GENE-What do you think?
AJ
He's going to fly the SS hard and fast as he does his Stryker. Some thin CF ribbon in the feathers isn't a bad idea. I use a strip on the horizontal of the EZ. Added weight is minimal.
Not needed for most flying but if your going to push this airframe to its max then strengthening the tail and boom may be in order.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:50 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
I am going to add as much strength as possible but I will not be flying it like a Stryker.

I am looking at it as a relaxing glider with minimal aerobatics. Mainly as a trainer for my kids. But yes I do abuse Strykers, that's what they are for.

I still don't understand the point of the long channel from the motor to Fuse?

This makes things difficult. I figure if I glue the tail, which is a must, I will tape the front half of the fuse so that I could pull it apart enough to replace the motor.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:34 AM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
2 FPV sky surfers with streamers:

STREAMER.wmv (6 min 21 sec)
Hauntme13 is offline Find More Posts by Hauntme13
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:13 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
flying question.... is knife edge possible with SS???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:26 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
flying question.... is knife edge possible with SS???
I have not flown mine but I can guarantee you a NO.

You need more fuse (height) and way more rudder. Not to mention the wing tips.

You need a parkmaster. I can do knife edge circles all day.

I was actually looking at the Sky Surfer rudder last night and wondering if it could be effective at all? Not much surface area for the size of plane.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
BEVRC shows SkyS in stock

Looks like their stock is back!

I try and hold off buying one . . . for now! Proud member of SkyS Addict Club!
Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye