Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wic View Post
Hi there,

I am new here and also a bixler flyer.
I have read a lot of post here and do a lot oft recommended changes on my bixler.
Last I installed flaps and tested them yesterday.

Without mixing elevator the nose go 45 up.
My question is:
Is that normal at SS/Bix or have I too much flap?

And sorry about my english.

Best regards

Andy
I have flaps on my Bix. They are as wide as the ailerons and start where the ailerons end and about 1 inch from the root. They have about 70% of down. I have had to mix in a bit of down elevator, to stop the nose up like yours does.
They work well and I am impressed with them.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
If I need to start another thread I can but wanted to ask here first. I'm working on a Sky Surfer from crap hobby, I mean Banana Hobby that a relative got for Christmas. Nothing but problems from this thing and BH is useless. Their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on. Enough ranting... Anyway after replacing the ESC since it burnt up on first start up and BH said discontinued on their ESC, I glued it back together and while putting everything together I realized they didnt send me enough screws or the nuts to mount the control horns on with. My local bolt place don't have anything that small and can't get them. Any ideas on where to get these things or the size so I can look? At this point I wouldn't recommend anything from BH, not even worth the bandwidth to look at their site. They shouldn't be in business. Jmo. Sorry but this is ridiculous.
I used these control horns. They come with screws.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:56 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok so it seems it is a loosing battle to get this 6x4 prop I have perfectly balanced, so what is a link to a 6x4 prop that FITS the stock Bixler prop saver?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Thanks guys. I will just order new ones instead of searching every where for the screws. I hope the Bixler I bought won't be this much trouble.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
I have only done this twice, BUT, it is possible to do sogato's with the stock motor.
When i got away with it the conditions were this.
Short dry grass.
Decent wind for takeoff. About 30 ft if i recall.
I agree. ROG is fairly simple with a stock motor on short grass or just dirt. It is not only possible, it can be done with impunity.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:27 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
WELCOME to the Thread!

Quote:
If I need to start another thread I can but wanted to ask here first. I'm working on a Sky Surfer from crap hobby, I mean Banana Hobby that a relative got for Christmas. Nothing but problems from this thing and BH is useless. Their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on. Enough ranting... Anyway after replacing the ESC since it burnt up on first start up and BH said discontinued on their ESC, I glued it back together and while putting everything together I realized they didnt send me enough screws or the nuts to mount the control horns on with. My local bolt place don't have anything that small and can't get them. Any ideas on where to get these things or the size so I can look? At this point I wouldn't recommend anything from BH, not even worth the bandwidth to look at their site. They shouldn't be in business. Jmo. Sorry but this is ridiculous.
No. You don't need to. You are on topic for sure.
You got a lot of great suggestions. I would just add that you might want to forgo any expense at all on other control horns and simple Hot Glue the ones you have on the control surfaces that you need them on (sand the surface a little bit to rough it up). If you don't own a Hot Glue gun, Get ONE! You will need it for a variety of applications in this hobby. Before I owned one, I thought they were unnecessary (LOL). But, now I 3 of them and I wonder how I EVER got along without one. The only down side is that the hot glue adds a significant amount of weight to the plane. But, it makes for a super fast repair. You might want to get some CA glue also, for the same reasons. Oh, finally, please read Page #1 - Posts 2 & 3 of this thread. A lot of guys listed their mods and techniques there just to help you. Enjoy. And, again, Welcome to the thread.
AJ
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Maiden flight

Quote:
Thanks guys. I will just order new ones instead of searching every where for the screws. I hope the Bixler I bought won't be this much trouble.
Almost everyone here has had a good experience with the Bixler/Sky Surfer (they are exactly the same plane-sans decals). I am sure you will, too. Make sure and take some videos to share with everyone. We have all been where you are at and I think it was exciting for all of us (it certainly was for me).
AJ
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Ok so it seems it is a loosing battle to get this 6x4 prop I have perfectly balanced, so what is a link to a 6x4 prop that FITS the stock Bixler prop saver?
Unfortunately, there is no prop available (that I am aware of) that fits the prop saver "Exactly". The best thing to do is take off the one you have and put on a prop adapter that works for almost all props (most props come with adapter rings that fit whatever prop adapter you choose). Quite a few guys use a dremel and a cutoff blade and cut off the motor output shaft immediately behind the existing adapter. Others use 2 pair of needle nose pliers and slide the old one off. The latter is fairly risky because you might bend the output shaft. For me, I found that the adapter slid off very easily using the method above. Your choice.

AJ

P.S. I am pretty sure that the Bixler uses a 2.3mm prop adapter (they are out just now). Make sure and get the collet type. If I am mistaken about the size, I am sure someone will let us know.
Oops. Question-Do you mean that you have a stock brushless or brushed?
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 09, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unfortunately, there is no prop available (that I am aware of) that fits the prop saver "Exactly". The best thing to do is take off the one you have and put on a prop adapter that works for almost all props (most props come with adapter rings that fit whatever prop adapter you choose). Quite a few guys use a dremel and a cutoff blade and cut off the motor output shaft immediately behind the existing adapter. Others use 2 pair of needle nose pliers and slide the old one off. The latter is fairly risky because you might bend the output shaft. For me, I found that the adapter slid off very easily using the method above. Your choice.
AJ
I see... I think I am going to upgrade to a 2200 motor :P
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:49 PM
wic
Finland, Uusimaa, Porvoo
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I have flaps on my Bix. They are as wide as the ailerons and start where the ailerons end and about 1 inch from the root. They have about 70% of down. I have had to mix in a bit of down elevator, to stop the nose up like yours does.
They work well and I am impressed with them.
I know, I have read a lot of Your postings an see Your videos.
Today in the evening I have mixed 15% elevator to the flaps an now its fly very nice with an without throttle. tomorrow I will test how it is to landing with flaps. Today I only tested the slowly flyby and it was very nice. I have installed them for slow an short landing. I will see tomorrow how it works.

Thanks for Your post.

Best regards from finland

Andy
wic is offline Find More Posts by wic
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
No. You don't need to. You are on topic for sure.
You got a lot of great suggestions. I would just add that you might want to forgo any expense at all on other control horns and simple Hot Glue the ones you have on the control surfaces that you need them on (sand the surface a little bit to rough it up). If you don't own a Hot Glue gun, Get ONE! You will need it for a variety of applications in this hobby. Before I owned one, I thought they were unnecessary (LOL). But, now I 3 of them and I wonder how I EVER got along without one. The only down side is that the hot glue adds a significant amount of weight to the plane. But, it makes for a super fast repair. You might want to get some CA glue also, for the same reasons. Oh, finally, please read Page #1 - Posts 2 & 3 of this thread. A lot of guys listed their mods and techniques there just to help you. Enjoy. And, again, Welcome to the thread.
AJ
Thanks for the info and welcoming. : ) I own a hot glue gun and have CA which is how I put it back together. I just wasn't sure if that would be strong enough to hold those pieces since they have alot of stress on them. For him I dont think it would it have to be to beefy anyway considering the last plane he had disappeared in the horizon and was never found. lol Its just irritating when ur dealing with companies like that and can't get the support u deserve. I like doing things right especially when it has my name on it and seeing junk like that being sold irritates me. I'm sure he is better off with the ESC I put in it now since its a 30 amp and not a cheap pos. It looks like a good flyer when I get it done, thats why I ordered me one from HK, but I got the kit so I could use my own electronics. Ready to be done with his so I can get mine done and teach my kids and fiancee how to fly. I will try to get some video posted when I get to that point. Thanks for the help!!
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean the prop adapter for the stock 5x5? I know there were a number of iterations of the prop adapter, both of my SkySurfers came with collet style adapters but they were both pretty well made only for the stock prop. You would either have to ream out like a quarter inch out of an apc 6x4 or simply get a new collet adapter for a 2.3mm shaft.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Do you mean the prop adapter for the stock 5x5? I know there were a number of iterations of the prop adapter, both of my SkySurfers came with collet style adapters but they were both pretty well made only for the stock prop. You would either have to ream out like a quarter inch out of an apc 6x4 or simply get a new collet adapter for a 2.3mm shaft.
Well what I did was use a dremel to adapt a standard 6x4e to the stock adapter (I have a v1 Bix), but I think I cannot balance it properly because of my dremeling it... I just can't get the vibes any better even after messing with it on bench trying to balance it out, and my AP freaks out anywhere above 50% throttle.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Did you try Esprit Model. They have APC 6x4 electric props in stock as well as a number of different prop adapters.

They ship pretty quick too.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
I see... I think I am going to upgrade to a 2200 motor :P
Sorry didn't see that AJ had already beat me to this. I surprised you're running an fpv setup on the stock motor, let alone the standard 5x5. A motor upgrade would probably be your best bet. If you wouldn't mind doing some modification I would go with a slower motor and larger pitchier prop for extra brute thrust for your fpv gear. But if you want to stay in the 6 inch range a 2200 kv with a 6x4 would be just fine. Personally I like my 2700 kv and 6x4 screamer setup .
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai