SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
ACE.

Whoa, a 3 blade 10x6 prop wouldn't that require the fancy aluminum motor mount to move the centre line of the motor up almost 55mm (2"+) ?
Plus with the 2200KV and I presume your using a 3s high discharge battery of at least 1800-2200mAh, it's amazing you didn't get it screaming that fast that it didn't self destruct/pull the wings off!
Clearly you must be flying very careful with your full speed fly-bys and loop pullouts!!??

I'm running stock motor(1900kvA), Master Airscrew 3 blade 6x4 pusher and Nano-Tech 3s 2200mAh 50c and the damn thing looks like it's close to disintegrating at full stick level fly-by.- In fact it's quite scarey! (Though it has been strengthened!)

-B!
10x6 is way to much for a speed motor, I hope he was at least using a 2 cell. If he wasn't he's lucky he didn't kill the motor.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
After reading 30 or so pages of this thread, I've decided I'm taking the Sky Surfer plunge! Thanks to all who contribute and continue to make this helpful resource available to SS/Bixler noobs like me.

Background/experience level: About 6 years ago I repaired a used trainer (Avistar) and flew a few circuits at my local club until I lost interest. I've flown heli fpv for about 4 years, just started doing tricopter FPV, and have a used Gaui 330 in a box waiting for a build.

I'm itching to do fixed wing again, though, adding FPV this time around, and I think the SS is my platform. I'm planning to pull the trigger on main componenets today and was hoping for any input from anyone who cares to provide some.

What I'm considering at the moment, to get it in the air and get a feel for it, then add a GoPro, Vtx, and OSD, along with any more lipo I can squeeze on:

Sky Surfer kit from RMRC

Turnigy Plush 40 A ESC http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Microdan 2505 Motor http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...f=MD2505-SP-LE

Batan servos x4 http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...GSERVOFOURPACK

So the main question marks I have are around the motor and servos. With the extra FPV gear, will this motor be a good candidate? And all things considered, are the servos a good match, or should I go with metal gears and/or more torque? I don't plan on going balls out speed wise all the time, more likely a lot of climbing and gliding, but I do want some sprtiness in the configuration to liven things up once in a while, and also want to be able to get out of trouble in a pinch.

I do plan on doing the spar upgrades recommended here.

Thanks...

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I don't know if I can agree with that. I can do a SOGATO also when I have used wheels, they have only been with the belly of the model about an inch or two off the ground. Took off no problem. And this was on grass.
That is interesting. I know that the SS and Bix are almost identical but there are some differences between versions and each person's modifications.

Maybe the issue is that AJ's plane just can't generate enough lift being that low to the ground. He may just need a steeper angle or more thrust.

Maybe I'll stay with hand launch for a little while longer.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Sia,
If you're going to add the gopro to your plane, I would recommend at least the Microdan 2535kv motor. I use that one and it handles the weight perfectly.

Max
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:56 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Perfect info, Maddmax! Thanks and will-do. What servos are you using?
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
hxt900
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a 3 blade prop on the SS??
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:24 PM
wic
Finland, Uusimaa, Porvoo
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Flaps on my bixler

Hi there,

I am new here and also a bixler flyer.
I have read a lot of post here and do a lot oft recommended changes on my bixler.
Last I installed flaps and tested them yesterday.

Without mixing elevator the nose go 45 up.
My question is:
Is that normal at SS/Bix or have I too much flap?

And sorry about my english.

Best regards

Andy
wic is offline Find More Posts by wic
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I don't know if I can agree with that. I can do a SOGATO also when I have used wheels, they have only been with the belly of the model about an inch or two off the ground. Took off no problem. And this was on grass.
I don't agree, either. There is no hocus-pocus aerodynamics involved. In fact, the closer the wing is to the ground the stronger the ground effect (more lift and less drag at a given AOA). The issue with very short gear legs is a low deck angle and resulting AOA that requires a higher speed to achieve liftoff.

I don't have any kind of landing gear on my Bixler and have made takeoffs and done touch and gos from short grass. I have a 2835 inrunner mounted in the stock location which gives the thrust necessary to do that (post 6258). It's also my experience that the stock motor was not capable of ROG without wheels at the same conditions.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:45 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
It takes a good 30 ft for mine to take off on the ground
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:59 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
I don't agree, either. There is no hocus-pocus aerodynamics involved. In fact, the closer the wing is to the ground the stronger the ground effect (more lift and less drag at a given AOA). The issue with very short gear legs is a low deck angle and resulting AOA that requires a higher speed to achieve liftoff.

I don't have any kind of landing gear on my Bixler and have made takeoffs and done touch and gos from short grass. I have a 2835 inrunner mounted in the stock location which gives the thrust necessary to do that (post 6258). It's also my experience that the stock motor was not capable of ROG without wheels at the same conditions.

Ted
I have only done this twice, BUT, it is possible to do sogato's with the stock motor.
When i got away with it the conditions were this.
Short dry grass.
Decent wind for takeoff. About 30 ft if i recall.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
2-blade vs 3-blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Just generically speaking, a 3-blade prop is less efficient than a 2-blade prop. Notice that almost all current small (real) planes use a 2-blade prop. An interesting discussion might be a 3-blade prop vs a 1-blade prop. I have no idea which one is "less" efficient. A 1-blade prop is pretty cool looking. I keep reminding my self to try one sometime. But, I am not sure if they are even available. HERE is one explanation that is pretty simple to understand.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 09, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Add Link
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Disadvantages:

1. More drag
2. More mass to swing, probably increasing amp draw and reducing rpm.
3. More difficult to balance.

Advantages:
Displaces more air per revolution, may result in greater thrust per revolution. However, it's said that the blades of a 3 or 4 bladed prop produces more turbulance that negatively interacts with the other blades. This could mean decreased efficiency.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:19 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
If I need to start another thread I can but wanted to ask here first. I'm working on a Sky Surfer from crap hobby, I mean Banana Hobby that a relative got for Christmas. Nothing but problems from this thing and BH is useless. Their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on. Enough ranting... Anyway after replacing the ESC since it burnt up on first start up and BH said discontinued on their ESC, I glued it back together and while putting everything together I realized they didnt send me enough screws or the nuts to mount the control horns on with. My local bolt place don't have anything that small and can't get them. Any ideas on where to get these things or the size so I can look? At this point I wouldn't recommend anything from BH, not even worth the bandwidth to look at their site. They shouldn't be in business. Jmo. Sorry but this is ridiculous.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
If I need to start another thread I can but wanted to ask here first. I'm working on a Sky Surfer from crap hobby, I mean Banana Hobby that a relative got for Christmas. Nothing but problems from this thing and BH is useless. Their warranty isn't worth the paper its written on. Enough ranting... Anyway after replacing the ESC since it burnt up on first start up and BH said discontinued on their ESC, I glued it back together and while putting everything together I realized they didnt send me enough screws or the nuts to mount the control horns on with. My local bolt place don't have anything that small and can't get them. Any ideas on where to get these things or the size so I can look? At this point I wouldn't recommend anything from BH, not even worth the bandwidth to look at their site. They shouldn't be in business. Jmo. Sorry but this is ridiculous.
Forget the stock control horns, get these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD934 or something similar.

You may also need some of these http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAHE6&P=M to mount your push rods.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503