SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:28 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Good flying and nice catch on both videos. It looks like your landing options are a bit limited. So, I guess you have to get good at catching immediately. Well done.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:45 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,991 Posts
Just found this thread. Interesting last few days messing with my new bix. Really windy here in the desert. Due to 25-35 mph winds most of my fleet was grounded for the last couple of weeks. So my friend and I decided to try the bixlers seeing they are the lowest cost airframe in the fleet and that we had bad case of cabin fever. I got mine for night flying and tried it prior to this week. Sorry to say I hated it!. However, after flying it in very high winds like above and gusty conditions I'm now in love. Yep, I love this thing its really growing on me. I have Sbachs, scale warbirds and have flown all kinds of jets both models and the real thing. When the winds are up they are all hung on my walls..... Except my little Bix. With reinforced wing mounts this puppy can fly great in high winds. Steady as a rock and like flying on rails until you turn. I could not believe this thing how it fly forwards with power off into a 30 Plus head wind. It loops, rolls and snaps reasonably well (but not great) for a light foamie. I did upgrade the motor to a 2200KV higher quality one and it has lots of power. Also have the fancy aluminum motor mount etc. First time out I tried a 3 blade 10x6 which just cleared the fuse. Actually flew horrid and less power than a tiny little prop that is now on it. So after all is done and said this is the cheapest plane in my fleet and at first I thought was a bit of a joke. But it is the only one that stays permanently in my truck ready for any weather any time day or night!!. So 9 out of 10 I'm a believer!!!!
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:15 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
A three blade 10 x 6, you have an ajustable motor mount to fit that big blade? Please provide a link for that mount.

Thanx in advance.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Apr 08, 2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:37 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Bix setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Just found this thread. Interesting last few days messing with my new bix. Really windy here in the desert. Due to 25-35 mph winds most of my fleet was grounded for the last couple of weeks. So my friend and I decided to try the bixlers seeing they are the lowest cost airframe in the fleet and that we had bad case of cabin fever. I got mine for night flying and tried it prior to this week. Sorry to say I hated it!. However, after flying it in very high winds like above and gusty conditions I'm now in love. Yep, I love this thing its really growing on me. I have Sbachs, scale warbirds and have flown all kinds of jets both models and the real thing. When the winds are up they are all hung on my walls..... Except my little Bix. With reinforced wing mounts this puppy can fly great in high winds. Steady as a rock and like flying on rails until you turn. I could not believe this thing how it fly forwards with power off into a 30 Plus head wind. It loops, rolls and snaps reasonably well (but not great) for a light foamie. I did upgrade the motor to a 2200KV higher quality one and it has lots of power. Also have the fancy aluminum motor mount etc. First time out I tried a 3 blade 10x6 which just cleared the fuse. Actually flew horrid and less power than a tiny little prop that is now on it. So after all is done and said this is the cheapest plane in my fleet and at first I thought was a bit of a joke. But it is the only one that stays permanently in my truck ready for any weather any time day or night!!. So 9 out of 10 I'm a believer!!!!
If you could, please take some pictures of your setup. It sounds really cool. Also, did you do any of the mods on page #1 of this thread?
AJ
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:07 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Garry point Richmond BC canada

Hobbyking Bixler aka Sky Surfer (5 min 53 sec)

westwood's channel www.youtube.com/user/9westwood9/
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Apr 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
ACE.

Whoa, a 3 blade 10x6 prop wouldn't that require the fancy aluminum motor mount to move the centre line of the motor up almost 55mm (2"+) ?
Plus with the 2200KV and I presume your using a 3s high discharge battery of at least 1800-2200mAh, it's amazing you didn't get it screaming that fast that it didn't self destruct/pull the wings off!
Clearly you must be flying very careful with your full speed fly-bys and loop pullouts!!??

I'm running stock motor(1900kvA), Master Airscrew 3 blade 6x4 pusher and Nano-Tech 3s 2200mAh 50c and the damn thing looks like it's close to disintegrating at full stick level fly-by.- In fact it's quite scarey! (Though it has been strengthened!)

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Apr 08, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
Bixler with Kodak Playfull Camera

This is a flight video of my Bixler using a Kodak Playfull camera. It records in true HD. I've used the HD key camera but wanted something more user friendly.

Bixler flght video with Kodak Playfull camera (11 min 3 sec)
dmoshiloh is offline Find More Posts by dmoshiloh
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:22 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,371 Posts
Landing gear

Hey guys, in the comments about money I think you missed my point.

I wasn't promoting a product, I was just using it to illustrate the geometry issue. IMO the high legs of a normal landing gear give too high a take of angle for the Bixler, especially considering it's poor ground handling (without an additional tail wheel at least).

If you build your own I would have though a close-to-the-ground solution was better. Instead of telling folks how much they should spend on their toys, has anyone got useful experience using something like the standard legs on a Bixler? Does it take off OK? How do they survive the landing given the much larger bending moment? I know the airscape geometry works well - be very happy to know tall legs work as well.

That would be useful info for everyone I think.

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post

I wasn't promoting a product, I was just using it to illustrate the geometry issue. IMO the high legs of a normal landing gear give too high a take of angle for the Bixler, especially considering it's poor ground handling (without an additional tail wheel at least).

If you build your own I would have though a close-to-the-ground solution was better. Instead of telling folks how much they should spend on their toys, has anyone got useful experience using something like the standard legs on a Bixler? Does it take off OK? How do they survive the landing given the much larger bending moment? I know the airscape geometry works well - be very happy to know tall legs work as well.

John
I will tell you the experience from my LG considering it started the idea off...

I get a significant stear to the right, I have yet to fully determine what causes it exactly... however with careful throttle up and holding the rudder (I use a steerable tail wheel) I get her up to speed where she is no longer riding on the tail (if I throttle too fast she will nose however...), get it to about 3/4th throttle and take off, once I am about 40 foot off the ground I tend to drop the throttle down to whatever I need for what I want to do (I usually climb up to about 200 foot from take off). She lands quite beautifully.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoshiloh View Post
This is a flight video of my Bixler using a Kodak Playfull camera. It records in true HD. I've used the HD key camera but wanted something more user friendly.

http://youtu.be/eFdojIFSrEU
Nice vid BUT, could have been shorter, I like the power off moments, lotta green there,where you at.

Should mix in some down elevator with your throttle,nice flight thougn.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:32 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:

John
I fly all of my planes as is., I AM SORRY, it was my fault,
i am the guilty party that brought up the cost issue.

Sorry for the discord.
Last edited by Limited flyer; Apr 08, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: To many words
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:51 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Vacuum sucks.

Quote:

John
In my experience, when the SkyS wings are closer to the ground (<1" from the bottom of the fuse) it makes a MUCH worse takeoff roll. There is some kind of vacuum that sucks the wing into the ground and prohibits take off. Maybe it is the difference between the AOA of the wing, too. I can take the same SkyS and raise the LG to 5" off the ground (distance to bottom of fuse from ground) and the takeoff roll is less than 1/2 of the short LG. I have tried this concept on another plane (AXN Clouds Fly), too. The results were exactly the same. I no longer use short LG. Also, the longer LG gives a better shock absorber quality. So, on all of my planes with LG, I make the landing gear height 1/10 of the wingspan. Again, I have no idea why it works that way. But, it works and that is all I need to know for now.
AJ
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:04 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,371 Posts
Thanks, AJ. That's exactly the kind of data that is useful.

So my AOA speculation may be incorrect. I use the large "tundra" tires on my airscape setup so may help a bit. Clearance is 2" under the fuselage at the wing LE. Takes off very nicely without a tail wheel if you have it straight into the wind.

The other factor to remember is that this thing has a big wing and is light so a decent UC spread helps it from flipping if there is any cross wind at all.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
In my experience, when the SkyS wings are closer to the ground (<1" from the bottom of the fuse) it makes a MUCH worse takeoff roll. There is some kind of vacuum that sucks the wing into the ground and prohibits take off. Maybe it is the difference between the AOA of the wing, too. I can take the same SkyS and raise the LG to 5" off the ground (distance to bottom of fuse from ground) and the takeoff roll is less than 1/2 of the short LG. I have tried this concept on another plane (AXN Clouds Fly), too. The results were exactly the same. I no longer use short LG. Also, the longer LG gives a better shock absorber quality. So, on all of my planes with LG, I make the landing gear height 1/10 of the wingspan. Again, I have no idea why it works that way. But, it works and that is all I need to know for now.
AJ
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:18 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
AJ

Without realizing it you may have determined some aerodynamic limitation to the SS concerning wing height at take off. Maybe as you stated it is something with the AOA of the wing or maybe how the air flow under the wing at the TE somehow disrupts air going over the wing and reduces lift?

What ever the reason I know not to try an LG shorter than 5-6". Thanks for the input.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:00 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
AJ

Without realizing it you may have determined some aerodynamic limitation to the SS concerning wing height at take off. Maybe as you stated it is something with the AOA of the wing or maybe how the air flow under the wing at the TE somehow disrupts air going over the wing and reduces lift?

What ever the reason I know not to try an LG shorter than 5-6". Thanks for the input.
I don't know if I can agree with that. I can do a SOGATO also when I have used wheels, they have only been with the belly of the model about an inch or two off the ground. Took off no problem. And this was on grass.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member