SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:15 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I wasn't trying to fly over residential area, I was actually following alongside a highway over cow fields, but I didn't notice the wind HAD pushed me 3 blocks over town. I am an AMA member but my insurance is no good flying FPV anyway, so it doesn't really matter on that aspect of it...

As far as property damage aspects go, there was none, thank god as human safety and damage where my first concerns when it happened.

Plus now I have autopilot with RTH, this is not going to happen again plus I will always check for wind conditions and adjust for drift.
I wasnt dissing you man, just an open ended question. Peace
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:28 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
I wasnt dissing you man, just an open ended question. Peace
Looks like maybe an hour or two of work to do to get back in the air!

Only real damage is the one wing, and the nose. The nose fractured in a few places but the tape kept it all together. I am going to untape it, hot water soak the nose, and figure out how to make it whole again, shouldn't be too difficult. The wing shouldn't be too hard either, it was a clean break in half, plus a fairly clean yank out of the CF rod (which is unscaved!). I am thinking some wooden dowels, gorilla glue, and tape will get that wing back in shape.

Motor mount also took some damage, but only a sliver of foam from the top right side of it, so no big deal there really.

Also the 2200mah 3s took a slight squishing to it's nose, and was in the 2.7ish volt range per cell, my acucell wouldn't recognize it, but my cheaper charger had no problem getting it to a normal voltage and I put it to 3.8, I will monitor it for a day and see how well it holds voltage.

The 1300mah battery was physically fine, but was too low for even my cell checker to check it, a quick test with a multimeter showed 5.56volts total across 3 cells! So I used my acuccell on nimh 0.1a and it took about 2 minutes to get it to about 2.7 volts per cell which was enough to get my other charger to kick it to where my acucell would recognize it. It's currently being charged to 3.80 as well, and I will do the same and monitor it for a day.

All electronics are OK!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:32 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
2200kv inrunner question

I just put together my 3rd Sky Surfer, this time with flaps (going to be my GoPro camera ship) and I put in a HeadsUpRC 2200kv inrunner. Now HeadsUp must have discontinued that motor because I don't see it on their site, only an Emax 2450kv inrunner. For those who have used the previous 2200kv inrunner from HeadsUp what prop are you using? Right now with a 3s2200mAh 30c lipo and an EMP 6x4 prop I'm showing around 210w at 17A with my watt meter. Maiden on this bird should be tomorrow or the next day.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:34 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I just put together my 3rd Sky Surfer, this time with flaps (going to be my GoPro camera ship) and I put in a HeadsUpRC 2200kv inrunner. Now HeadsUp must have discontinued that motor because I don't see it on their site, only an Emax 2450kv inrunner. For those who have used the previous 2200kv inrunner from HeadsUp what prop are you using? Right now with a 3s2200mAh 30c lipo and an EMP 6x4 prop I'm showing around 210w at 17A with my watt meter. Maiden on this bird should be tomorrow or the next day.
A 6x4 works best for me on that motor. Tried a 6x5 but it was an amp hog and didn't have any more performance.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:33 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
Ok- that's what I figured. I thought I saved the spec sheet for that motor but I couldn't find it.

BTW- what's the heaviest load anyone has carried with their Sky Surfer? Just curious, as my GoPro Hero2 is still fairly portly with the skeleton case.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
I'd rather pay for another battery than all the equipment he would have had on board!!

LURCH
Absolutely, the battery is pocket change compared to all the FPV gear.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok major airframe repairs are complete, I still need to re-install all electronics, put on new aileron control horns and linkages (as one of the originals is missing), and hinge the one aileron somehow as it is half ripped off from stock hinge configuration. I think she can fly tomorrow weather permitting!

I also moved my ESC to the top of the wing area, much cleaner and gives me more room in the nose anyway. (It was originally outside just below where the canopy attaches, and the wiring took up a lot of space!)
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
114 Posts
Hi there,
I'm buying a ARF bixler from hobbyking, just wanted to know if the stock motor is good for fpv (powerful enought to thrust tx and camera weight and tx battery and osd) if not i'll just get a KIT one and see...
It will be nice to use the ARF vversion, i could get 30 min flight with a 3S

Another thing, is the structure strong and steady for fpv? or i have to use some carbon?
mick3485 is offline Find More Posts by mick3485
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:47 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick3485 View Post
Hi there,
I'm buying a ARF bixler from hobbyking, just wanted to know if the stock motor is good for fpv (powerful enought to thrust tx and camera weight and tx battery and osd) if not i'll just get a KIT one and see...
It will be nice to use the ARF vversion, i could get 30 min flight with a 3S

Another thing, is the structure strong and steady for fpv? or i have to use some carbon?
I found stock motor to be very much fine for FPV.
Keep it a light and simple setup.
If adding lots of gear, like gopro, osd, etc, I would upgrade motor, its good to have that bit of extra power for a tight situation.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:00 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
ok, question?

How many of us fly with insurance?
I do. I am insured through the UKFPV group. So that means I am insured if flying FPV or LOS. Well worth the 15.80 a year.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
...I also moved my ESC to the top of the wing area...
Hey Cat, question for ya... did you slice the through the top of the fuselage to get the ESC to that flat spot on top? (Is your ESC the thing in black with the red square on top?) What's the blue thingy; tape?

thanks,
Brian
bgarber is offline Find More Posts by bgarber
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I do. I am insured through the UKFPV group. So that means I am insured if flying FPV or LOS. Well worth the 15.80 a year.
Thanks for the tip FP - I'm signing up!
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Getting insurance makes sense and I will be looking into it here in the US.

How did you find an insurance agency that would provide you with that type of coverage?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 04, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Ok major airframe repairs are complete, I still need to re-install all electronics, put on new aileron control horns and linkages (as one of the originals is missing), and hinge the one aileron somehow as it is half ripped off from stock hinge configuration. I think she can fly tomorrow weather permitting!

I also moved my ESC to the top of the wing area, much cleaner and gives me more room in the nose anyway. (It was originally outside just below where the canopy attaches, and the wiring took up a lot of space!)
I know you said the repairs are complete but if I was going to test that bird I would keep it well within LOS the first couple of times just to make sure nothing falls off.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I know you said the repairs are complete but if I was going to test that bird I would keep it well within LOS the first couple of times just to make sure nothing falls off.
It's pretty structurally sound, if anything the broken wing is probably stonger now, as I put 2 12" wooden dowels in it for support where it broke.

Of course my first few flights will be test flights, plus I need to do setup of the FY31AP too to make sure the autopilot is dialed in right too.