Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Hi Guys, I found this thread after my first disaster of a purchase from BH. Unfortunately I've had my skysurfer out about 5-6 times and not one successful flight. This is my first plane, but I had RC cars growing up, so I have a general RC knowledge. After missing pieces, bad electronics, and being sent the wrong replacement ESC 2 times, I have been to a "local" hobby shop (65 miles), and ended up buying a BL motor to go with the wrong ESC sent to me from BH.
Finally I get my plane in the air, but after so many failed attempts to fly, my fuse is "bent". If I hold it and look from the front, the tail does not follow the center of the fuse. I put some time mounting the brushless outrunner, and am bummed that I have to start over. I ordered a replacement from BEVRC Sunday night and it was shipped Monday. I'll let you know how long it takes to get here. I guess I got one of the last ones.
If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have gotten this far with this plane. The CG, the upgrades, I was clueless. I'm still confident this will be a good plane for me to learn on. I want to thank everyone who has contributed.
DCourt is offline Find More Posts by DCourt
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Not a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Ok, other than the heat sink it looks like this motor is about the same.
Actually, electrical specs are the same. BUT.... It is an additional 8mm bigger on the total diameter. If you try to use it, it will chew up the foam in the nacelle before you can even fly it. Plus, you will have to hack up the mount to just get the additional 8mm in the nacelle. Then, when you give the motor full throttle, it will tear itself out of the mount and chew up the fuselage and the wing. So, in a word. NO - Don't even think about using it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:53 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Patience can be good (but mostly frustrating usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCourt View Post
If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have gotten this far with this plane. The CG, the upgrades, I was clueless. I'm still confident this will be a good plane for me to learn on. I want to thank everyone who has contributed.
For all of us, thank you for the kind words. You WILL get this plane flying and I promise you that you will love, love, love it. It is a gentle flyer that just needs a bit of patience to learn to fly it if you don't have someone to help you. Do you have a flight simulator like FMS or something? Anyhow, if you will be patient with you, I guarantee you we will be patient with you too. We are here to help you in any way we can. After all, probably in the not too distant future, you will be helping us. We ALL learn from each other. No one is alone. Enjoy, and WELCOME TO THE THREAD!!!
AJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:02 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
1) How much plumbers goop should you use so that removing the motor doesn’t damage surrounding foam?

2) Strapping tape on ailerons, is that over the stock hinge or is that with real hinges underneath?

3)The stock control rods that run alongside the fuse, are those trustworthy? Should I use a thicker piano wire with a a bigger plastic tube? They seem tight as is and the wire is awfully thin?

4) Is anyone gluing the wings on permanently? What kind of velcro setup works?

5) Preferred servos?

Thanks
1. What Prof100 said.
2. What Prof100 said.
3. What Prof100 said.
4. I glued mine in with a dab of hot glue in each of 4 spots on both of the wings where they go into the fuselage. So, if I HAVE to remove them, I can cut the spots. Also, I don't crash that much anymore (lucky, I guess). So, I don't worry about the wings breaking. If you have a bit of a worry about crashing, I would suggest that you look at Page #1 of this thread for various ways to mount wings. There are several "right" ways to do it. Pick the one you like best.
5. I use HXT900. HS-55 & HS-81 servos work good, too. Again, there are many "right" answers to this one, too.
AJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:07 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,646 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Only thing, about hinging the ailerons. I guess what I was trying to say is, do you cut the ailerons off and just use the strapping tape, or do you reinforce it with strapping tape?

Not sure about you guys, but mine came hinged the same way my parkmaster and funjet are hinged, (foam hinge)

For more flex I could cut them and only use the tape.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Only thing, about hinging the ailerons. I guess what I was trying to say is, do you cut the ailerons off and just use the strapping tape, or do you reinforce it with strapping tape?

Not sure about you guys, but mine came hinged the same way my parkmaster and funjet are hinged, (foam hinge)

For more flex I could cut them and only use the tape.
If the foam is flexed through its range and does NOT crack just use the tape to reinforce the hinge. If the foam is cracked just cut with a sharp hobby knife and a straight edge and use the tape as the primary hinge.

For another option on mounting the motor you can check out how this rcgroups member mounted a ARC motor in his similar Easy Star using two sided tape:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8510
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 11, 2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,646 Posts
Double sided tape does look like a good idea if it will hold. I don't think he was running quite the watts.

I am also noticing that I will need to glue the fuse in a fashion that I can take it apart in the future. Which means only glue along the seams?

I wish the motor was an easier install. There sure is a lot of distance the wires have to travel to where the ESC will sit in the fuse.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:55 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Fuselage assembly

Quote:
Double sided tape does look like a good idea if it will hold. I don't think he was running quite the watts.

I am also noticing that I will need to glue the fuse in a fashion that I can take it apart in the future. Which means only glue along the seams?

I wish the motor was an easier install. There sure is a lot of distance the wires have to travel to where the ESC will sit in the fuse.
If you wish to take the fuselage apart in the future, I would suggest using double-sided scotch tape to assemble it. Then, you can "tease" it apart in the future using a common table knife. Then, glue just 1/2 of the motor to the nacelle with plumbers goop when you press the fuselage together. It will hold together with no problems at all. Make sure you put about a 4-5 pound weight on the motor nacelle overnight to make sure it adheres to the fuselage. Oh, and since you are going down that road, make sure you read Page #1 of this thread about the various methods to attach the wing to the fuselage so you can remove it too.
AJ
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:25 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok my SS arrived to the country yesterday.. I should have it by tomorrow and maiden it in the weekend...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
The Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ok my SS arrived to the country yesterday.. I should have it by tomorrow and maiden it in the weekend...
Make sure and take videos for all of us to enjoy. If you have time, take pics of your build to share. I am sure that we can all learn something from your building experiences.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,646 Posts
Can I assume that "goop" in the blue tube will work too? I have a tube of it at the house, so I was considering not buying the plumbers goop.

I love the idea of the key hooks for keeping the wing together. I am going to use that for sure.

Double sided tape to hold the fuse together? Not sure I am following. Why double sided?

I'm also going to use the strapping tape across the wing from core as well as over the hinges. Got some 3mm CF too for extra support along H-stab and fuse.

I really appreciate the help guys. I would rather get it right the first time then have to experiment too much with the first ARF.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,219 Posts
Quote:
Can I assume that "goop" in the blue tube will work too? I have a tube of it at the house, so I was considering not buying the plumbers goop.

I don't know, I haven't tested it. Feel free to conduct the experiment
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Goop & tape

Quote:

I love the idea of the key hooks for keeping the wing together. I am going to use that for sure.

Double sided tape to hold the fuse together? Not sure I am following. Why double sided?

I'm also going to use the strapping tape across the wing from core as well as over the hinges. Got some 3mm CF too for extra support along H-stab and fuse.

I really appreciate the help guys. I would rather get it right the first time then have to experiment too much with the first ARF.
I don't know anything about the blue tube goop.
As for the tape, you put double-sided tape on the 1/4" surface of the side of one of the fuselage halves. Then, squeeze the other half onto the tape that you just put on. The tape is sort of like the meat in a sandwich and the fuselage halves are the bread. Does that make sense now?
After doing some high speed - high "G" maneuvers and watching the empennage in a camera (the video is a few pages back), I don't think you need to put CF tubes in the tail feathers at all. If you are thinking of doing it for crash control, then, that would make sense.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 11, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Make sure and take videos for all of us to enjoy. If you have time, take pics of your build to share. I am sure that we can all learn something from your building experiences.
AJ
I think I ve already learned enough from your builds guys.. I ittend to leave it all stock .. and use some reinforcment on the main wing spar..
18 amp ESC (30 amp in near future)
stock motor (gravity hobby supersonic V2 2200kv)
1800 1300 and 2200 3s lipos available
cheap servos..
maybe on onboard flying video..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:42 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
What motor will be used first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I think I ve already learned enough from your builds guys.. I ittend to leave it all stock .. and use some reinforcment on the main wing spar..
18 amp ESC (30 amp in near future)
stock motor (gravity hobby supersonic V2 2200kv)
1800 1300 and 2200 3s lipos available
cheap servos..
maybe on onboard flying video..
Do you mean you will use that motor (btw-do you mean Grayson -not gravity) in the future? Because, that will make this plane a rocket ship and certainly much, much more power than any BL or brushed stock motor. Are you going to use the stock brushed motor? I am confused.
Also, what on-board cam do you plan on using? And, I hope you will take some pics of your build and video of your fine work to share with everyone.
AJ