HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, VA, Quantico
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
The horizontal and vertical stabs came loose after I scored a goal by accidentally flying my SS into a soccer goal. It hit the net and fell backwards, landing on the tail. Do I have to peel off all the CA from the surfaces before I reglue the stabs back on?
AmishLou is offline Find More Posts by AmishLou
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishLou View Post
The horizontal and vertical stabs came loose after I scored a goal by accidentally flying my SS into a soccer goal. It hit the net and fell backwards, landing on the tail. Do I have to peel off all the CA from the surfaces before I reglue the stabs back on?
No. Use 5-min epoxy or hot glue to put it back together. 5-min epoxy would be my choice.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:56 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
You crashed and that's all that happened. lucky. 5 min apoxy is probabley the right answer, BUT,if you live in a climate with both chilly and warm temps, you might consider having a plane for both summer and winter weather. {the winter one you could use hot glue cause hot summer temps can't melt the glue, and plus, if you don"t abuse hot gue imo works just as good.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Not sure if there are any active members here from Washington, but it's been a bad month for flying. Last week I made the most out of the 4 straight days of sun, but it's been windy and rainy since. I was determined to fly today because the rain let up but it was still very windy. I got to my field this afternoon and there was a steady 10-15 MPH wind with 25 MPH gusts. I was very hesitant to launch but I went ahead with it. I immediately felt my plane getting knocked around and the wings were rocking around pretty violently. I made a couple of circles and decided I better land. I turned into the wind and a very strong gust whipped my tail around about 90 degrees. I lost most of my lift and ended up in a 45 degree angle hover into the wind. I finally managed to recover and thankfully made a soft landing. Next time I'll be waiting for nicer weather.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Is it possible to use my spektrum dx5 with my sky surfer? If yes, Is there any instruction here? Btw. Im new to this rc thing.
zaai is offline Find More Posts by zaai
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
And BTW. How much range can I fly my SS? According on internet they can fly around 1km from where im flying. Is this true?
zaai is offline Find More Posts by zaai
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:51 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Did you buy RTF or kit version?

If RTF, I'm guessing the stock receiver won't bind to a DX5, and you'll have to use a different RX that's compatible (happy to be proven wrong though!)

If a kit, then it will be fine to use a compatible TX/RX of your own choice - I use 35mhz in mine, and push it a little further every flight.

Distance.. that's a 'length of string' question. Depends on your TX/RX choice, setup, flying environment, etc - but 'average' 2.4Ghz range is 1 Km, but don't accept this distance as fact! Many variables can shorten the range to a few hundred yards, so go easy and set a Fail Safe if you can (this will set throttle/servos to a preset if the receiver loses signal or in low power - best setting I think is a gentle circle on 1/4 throttle; this will either bring it back into range of the TX or it will eventually land without too much damage)

Unless you're an eagle (or flying FPV), 1 Km is 'out of sight' anyway - my son flies his Bix clone with the RTF gear until it's a dot in the sky.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Apr 02, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaai View Post
And BTW. How much range can I fly my SS? According on internet they can fly around 1km from where im flying. Is this true?
Pretty much what Ashton said. If you don't have a dsm compatible receiver then you can't use a dx transmitter. Spektrum receivers are on the expensive side, the only one I use is the ar6210 that came with my dx6i and the rest are orangerx receivers from hobbyking which is a cheap alternative.

Unless you're doing fpv, range shouldn't be an issue. 1km is about the maximum you'll get out of a full range spektrum 2.4 ghz receiver, but you probably will never fly it out further than 300 meters in line of sight flying. It's worth mentioning that orangerx and park range spektrum receivers will only net around 300 meters of range give or take.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishLou View Post
Out of curiosity, did you use foam safe or standard CA? From what I can tell foam safe varieties don't seem to bond as well as normal CA. And in case you didn't know normal CA is safe to use on EPO foam, at least the kind the SS is made from.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:15 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaai View Post
Is it possible to use my spektrum dx5 with my sky surfer? If yes, Is there any instruction here? Btw. Im new to this rc thing.
As others have said. You need a Spektrum comparable receiver. The Hobbyking orange ones are good to go, and they are cheaper than the Spektrum ones.
Range. If you can see what is going on with the model at 400 yards... Your eyes must be good 20-20 vision?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Out of curiosity, did you use foam safe or standard CA? From what I can tell foam safe varieties don't seem to bond as well as normal CA. And in case you didn't know normal CA is safe to use on EPO foam, at least the kind the SS is made from.
I used foam safe, I didn't know that normal CA was ok to use. Would normal CA be better than 5 min epoxy or hot glue? I'm in VA, so it will get hot and humid in awhile, someone said that the heat can affect epoxy. It seems that there is no consensus on the best type of adhesive, so I'll probably just try epoxy this time like AJ said.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
CA is strong but brittle. Gorilla glue is messy and, imho, not as good as epoxy - I hadn't heard about heat affecting it though. Mine claims it's okay up to 65 C
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
I'm just about ready to glue my fuse halves. I'm sure that sometime for some reason I'm gonna want to get back in there, so here's my plan...

I'm not going to glue the entire joint at all. I'll spot glue with hot glue. It can be seperated with heat, wet heat or simply a warm blade. It doesnt have to take chunks of foam with it when seperated.

I like mechanical fastening whenever possible. In this case, I'll simply incorporate several wraps of colored tape at a couple of locations as part of my paint job.

Maybe I'll be lucky and not have to get back into it, but if (when) I do, I'm hoping it wont be very difficult or destructive.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
I'd say only nose & tailtips, and wing saddle need glue spots.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
I'm looking to get a telemetry system or whatever parts I need to see my LiPo voltage in flight. This will be for a plane in the future, as I currently cannot keep my SS in the air long enough to drain the 2 cell battery it came with. It just doesn't seem like the brushed motor has enough power to climb higher than 20-30 feet in the air. This is with the stock prop, but I just fit an APC 6x4 on there so I'll see if that makes a difference. I had to cut out a small chunk on top of the empennage for the 6x4 to fit, I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

I already have this voltage sensor to check the battery after a flight: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=22693, but I'm not sure if I should get the FrSky DHT-U or the Quanum telemetry system. I can't tell if the DHT-U has all the parts I would need to see my battery voltage, or if you have to get a separate transmitter. Any help would be appreciated.