Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:49 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarber View Post
Sorry if this is an already beaten, dead horse but I did do a quick cursory search!

I recently bought a SkyS PNP brushless and it has arrived in great condition. However I've come to the realization that I'll be adding a boatload of components for FPV. The problem with the PNP is that the fuselage is already glued together and I'm not sure if I can get to all of that real estate through the canopy hole.

Should I try to cut the fuselage in half, cut a little access panel, or exchange it for the SkyS kit?

I appreciate any advice!!!
Brian
Cut an access panel in the belly or the side. When you cut, do so at an angle so that it will 'plug' back in and hold it in place with packing tape.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Give credit to whoever is do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Don't you mean to sayAJ has put togeather many different wing attatchment meathods from many different flyers. Tthe way you say it would suggest he thought of them all.
In this case, I did contribute both of them. But, only because I did not know the first designer of my second contribution. I am sure you noticed that I always proudly give credit to whoever was the original designer. In several cases, I had to do a great deal of research to find out who did the mods so I could give proper credit.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:56 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper1977 View Post
How about function #8 on some ESC's, what music to play
And yes I have that turned off on my ESC's.
As you probably guessed, it takes current to play the music. Although a very small amount, I also turn it off.
AJ
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Feb 2012
34 Posts
Re: SkyS PNP fuselage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Cut an access panel in the belly or the side. When you cut, do so at an angle so that it will 'plug' back in and hold it in place with packing tape.
Oooh, I like that idea. Thank you!
bgarber is offline Find More Posts by bgarber
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
As you probably guessed, it takes current to play the music. Although a very small amount, I also turn it off.
AJ
I've always wondered how the sounds play through the motor.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Which clevis and pushrod from HK

I'm sure someone mentioned this in this thread, but I am unable to find it: does anyone have handy which of the clevises and pushrods available from Hobby King are right for Bixler's ailerons? Last time I ordered some and they were too large to fit. And when we're at it, some suitable hinges for ailerons/flaps?
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
13 & 29 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=3

Edit - sorry, thought you were after control horns (the hinges are there though!) Can't help on the pushrods - I made my own

Here is the page about Dubro gear: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...shrod&page=837
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Last edited by AshtonFlyer; Mar 29, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Don't you mean to sayAJ has put togeather many different wing attatchment meathods from many different flyers. Tthe way you say it would suggest he thought of them all.
AJ has taken the time to list all of the modifications either presented by himself and others. While he did not come up with all of the ideas he did do the work of making sure they were all in the same place so that others could easily find them and discuss who has used what. That and his knowledge is what I give him credit for.

With that said and before I say something I can't take back, I ask that you and anyone else that feels the need to throw darts at AJ or anyone else on this thread that you may not agree with to first count to 10 then think if what you are going to say may be hurtful if someone said it to you first.

Picking on others is nothing more than wanting to make someone else look or feel bad so they can look or feel good themselves.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:56 PM View Post
Ole Joe
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while Ole Joe edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshtonFlyer View Post
New motor mount to take 7" and up props - hope it holds
How did it fly with that mod?
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
How did it fly with that mod?
I'm using a 7" prop with a 150W motor. I'm using it as an AP platform and was looking for long flight times, not blistering speed. A larger prop is good for efficiency, I get 30-40 minute flight times from a 2200mAh battery - most of that is gliding.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Last edited by pmullen503; Mar 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Joe View Post
Does that apply to AJ? He seems to be pretty versed in throwing darts at people when someone doesn't agree with him.
It applies to AJ as well as me. We all make mistakes and say something that we sometimes don't mean. I try not to repeat my mistakes but I can only speak for myself.

Please lets drop this train of thought and get back to the topic of SS and Bix
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Try a different prop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
Here's how I did my Bixler motor mount. Scanning this thread, I haven't seen it done exactly this way so I thought I would post it.

I took the stock wood block, glued a 1/8" ply disk to it, and added 4 bamboo skewer "bolts" to tie the whole thing together. I sanded a flat on the end of the motor pod to match and glued the whole unit in with white GG. Before I glued it in I opened up the wiring chase a bit and took out most of what seemed excessive side thrust.

Pictured are two motors I thinking about. RC-timer CF2812 1535 KV (7" prop) or a Suppo 2212-6 (6" prop). I've run both on a Polaris.
First, well done on both those motors. I, too, have used both. Here is bench measurements in a static configuration with a 2300mah LiPo.
CF2812-1535 with APC 8x4E:
24.05Ap
11.29Vm
276.0Wp
2212-6 with SF7x4:
35.32Ap
10.11Vm
356.3Wp
So, you might want to try a bit bigger prop on both motors just to experience more pi-zazz. The only caution is the second one is ~5A over the maximum rating for the motor. So, I suggest you do not use WOT for very long and a LiPo of at least 2200-30C to keep the Lipo safe. Make sure and take some videos to share. Oh, if you want to go insanely fast with your Sky Surfer, get a MicroDan 2505-2835 motor (pricey-but worth every penny) with a 6x4 and it will really get up and go vertical until you cannot see it anymore. Here are the stats for that in my SkyS:
42.87Ap
10.41Vm
449.7Wp
Prof100 suggested it and I have to say it was a rush to fly with in a SkyS. But, in the end, it was just too much horsepower for my needs and desires. I have a video around somewhere. Hmmmm....
AJ
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
duplicate
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 29, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:56 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
I've always wondered how the sounds play through the motor.
Oh. Heck. Set the value from 1-15 (binary) and the ESC will play a variety of songs. If you haven't done it, please do so. I promise you it is very cute and enjoyable to play the various songs. If you get bored, you can always set the ESC back to 0 (all lights off) and go back to a song-silent ESC. Enjoy...
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM.