Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The statement would require knowledge, experience, and ability to understand basic logic. You newbees should follow the logic before lending a worthless opinion.
AJ
That was pretty low, even for you.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Mar 28, 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spellng
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, VA, Quantico
Joined Mar 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
That's a really good description and picture using key strokes to represent the 45 D cut.
Yes, thank you AshtonFlyer, great description. Now I'm gonna go try and make it happen.
AmishLou is offline Find More Posts by AmishLou
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
That was pretty low, even for you.
Dude, it's his thread, his opinion. After reading 14,000 in this thread he's probably formed an opinion based upon quite a bit of experience.
Lay off of AJ. I don't know why he didn't close the thread ages ago. I come -- feel the same feeling he has expressed, and leave ... then after a few months -- come back... ---repeat.

He didn't fall off the toy truck yesterday -- he's been around the hobby long enough to deserve more respect than I've seen here lately.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
The statement would require knowledge, experience, and ability to understand basic logic. You newbees should follow the logic before lending a worthless opinion.
AJ
A quite laughable response from someone without any aeronautical credentials outside of toy airplanes and without any supporting references, proof or documentation.

Just my opinion as a "lowly reader" as you have previously described anyone with fewer posts to this forum than you.

Ted
BS, Summa Cum Laude, Aeronautical Science
USMC Fighter Pilot, Retired
Airline Transport Pilot, Retired
50 years of continuous experience as a pilot of single and multi-engine airplanes and helicopters, flight and ground school instructor (to include aerodynamics and flight theory), aircraft owner, and the only person to be awarded an A+ in the University of Maryland (European Campus) course of LOGIC during my tenure.

But, hey, what do I know compared to an RCG thread starter?
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:43 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
It depends on what exact motor you have. What do you have? Also brushed or brushless makes a big difference. Otherwise, the info you have been given will destroy your ESC and LiPo.
AJ
stock motor
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
A quite laughable response from someone without any aeronautical credentials outside of toy airplanes and without any supporting references, proof or documentation.

Just my opinion as a "lowly reader" as you have previously described anyone with fewer posts to this forum than you.

Ted
BS, Summa Cum Laude, Aeronautical Science
USMC Fighter Pilot, Retired
Airline Transport Pilot, Retired
50 years of continuous experience as a pilot of single and multi-engine airplanes and helicopters, flight and ground school instructor (to include aerodynamics and flight theory), aircraft owner, and the only person to be awarded an A+ in the University of Maryland (European Campus) course of LOGIC during my tenure.

But, hey, what do I know compared to an RCG thread starter?
There are lots of fighter jocks and engineers out there but thread starters are rare.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
Originally Posted by CPMBOY
sorry for asking this maybe-already-been-asked question. What is the ESC setting for the Bixler with stock motor, 2200 mah batt. Im using EMAX 40a ESC with programming card....the settings are:
Ok..the settings are:
1. brake type: Off/soft/hard
2. timming mode: low/mid/hi
3. cut off mode: soft cut/cut off
4. start mode: fast/soft/very soft
5. gov mode: OFF/gov-low/gov-hi
6. Li-XX cells: auto/2 cells/3cells/XX cells
7. cut off voltage: low/mid/hi

Quote:
It depends on what exact motor you have. What do you have? Also brushed or brushless makes a big difference. Otherwise, the info you have been given will destroy your ESC and LiPo.
AJ
AJ, How will improper settings destroy the ESC and Battery? And more specifically, which setting will cause the most damage.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buracho View Post
Originally Posted by CPMBOY
sorry for asking this maybe-already-been-asked question. What is the ESC setting for the Bixler with stock motor, 2200 mah batt. Im using EMAX 40a ESC with programming card....the settings are:
Ok..the settings are:
1. brake type: Off/soft/hard
2. timming mode: low/mid/hi
3. cut off mode: soft cut/cut off
4. start mode: fast/soft/very soft
5. gov mode: OFF/gov-low/gov-hi
6. Li-XX cells: auto/2 cells/3cells/XX cells
7. cut off voltage: low/mid/hi

AJ, How will improper settings destroy the ESC and Battery? And more specifically, which setting will cause the most damage.
Well, LOGIC would indicate that if you are using an EMAX 40a ESC that you have a brushless motor. The battery capacity is not relevant. Dkumagai gave some accurate recommendations in his previous post, however, I would suggest you set the brake function to 'Hard' as this will reduce drag when gliding.

Ted
Lowly Reader
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Dude, it's his thread, his opinion. After reading 14,000 in this thread he's probably formed an opinion based upon quite a bit of experience.
Lay off of AJ. I don't know why he didn't close the thread ages ago. I come -- feel the same feeling he has expressed, and leave ... then after a few months -- come back... ---repeat.

He didn't fall off the toy truck yesterday -- he's been around the hobby long enough to deserve more respect than I've seen here lately.
Well, my intention was to get his attention, not yours. My only endgaame was to get the two of them complaining at me so's the two of them would get off each others back, just trying to diffuse this is all.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
There are lots of fighter jocks and engineers out there but thread starters are rare.
Only because they are more fun to read then police.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Thread starters aren't rare, there is one for every thread!!!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Being a lowly engineer I have to tip my hat to AJ at his ability to run this thread as well as provide good information to those interested in this hobby.

I enjoy being part of this thread and while sometimes I provide not the best solution or answers I do try my best. I will accept criticism with the understanding that I still have a lot to learn and can only do so by asking questions then reading the answers without saying something derogatory.

With that said I believe sometimes emotions run strong here and words and opinions are thrown out without understanding the consequences.

Anytime adults stoop to throwing insults and slander is the time to step back take a breath and grow up. We are supposed to be civilized and conduct ourselves accordingly.

I may be out of line but this is supposed to be a hobby and we are supposed to have fun. Lets respect each other and keep our opinions to ourselves.

Just my two cents.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Most of the answers provided here ARE opinion, the rest is just facts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Well, LOGIC would indicate that if you are using an EMAX 40a ESC that you have a brushless motor. The battery capacity is not relevant. Dkumagai gave some accurate recommendations in his previous post, however, I would suggest you set the brake function to 'Hard' as this will reduce drag when gliding.

Ted
Lowly Reader
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't setting the brake to hard slow it down MORE. Wouldn't it be like throwing out an anker instead of just turning off the motor. If you set the brake to soft the prop will slow down to a stop, instead of the prop stopping straight away like an air brake or air spoiler!!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:

Ted
Lowly Reader
Just a quick question on the brake function. I assumed that brakes lock the bell in place by pumping a constant low current into the stator coils rather than sequencing them to induce rotation. If that's the case, does having brakes on draw a significant amount of current? I also wonder how much drag a prop generates spinning around in the wind. When I'm gliding the prop almost never stops moving even at low speed and it takes a fair amount of force to advance the bell on my motor. Haha guess that answers my question.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai