Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Another success story

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon12 View Post
Hi everyone
I Maidened my SS to-day and I couldn't be more pleased!!
It looks fantastic, and flies like a dream, even in gusty conditions!
The only mods I made were to put a CF rod inside of the original spar, hot glued the wings in, and I installed a Turnigy 2835-2200kv inrunner. She will take off from grass with a 6x5e prop and draws less than 15amps with 1800mah 11.1v 20c lipo and a 30amp esc. I put the brushless motor that came with it into my old beat-up Jr. Hawk/Wild Hawk and it improved the performance by a ton. I was quite happy and had a lot of fun with my Hawk Skys (poor things have gone to "hawksky heaven") and recommended them to others, but this Sky Surfer is an absolute beauty and will be hard to beat.
Many thanks to AJ for starting this thread and to all who openly share their knowledge!
harry
You are more than welcome. We just love to read another success story. This is why I started the thread. The other thread is only about a stock SkyS. That is, of course, boring. You jumped right in there with some cool mods to show how much fun the plane can REALLY be. Post some videos. We all would love to see your masterpiece flying.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:02 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
bevrc - out of SkyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Well Bevrc is sold out of the sky surfer, bummer.

Is there a link to the structural mods? If this wing will snap or if the elvator will give, it will happen to me. I am notorious for flying faster and with higher rates.

I would like to make all necessary mods if possible.
Darn it. I hate bad news like that. Now, other folks with HAVE to go to BH for a while to get a plane. Well, all I can say is that I knew the SkyS would become an instant success as soon as I first saw it advertised. I hope bevrc.com will get some in soon.
AJ
UPDATE: I sent them an email. I will let everyone know what they answer.
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 10, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:30 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,777 Posts
Just inspected my kit from Banana Hobby. Other than broken control horns the plane is in perfect shape. Looks like they threw in a brushed motor. This will go into the garbage. I wish I knew someone who wanted these. They are worthless to me.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:39 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Questions about BH plane

Quote:
Just inspected my kit from Banana Hobby. Other than broken control horns the plane is in perfect shape. Looks like they threw in a brushed motor. This will go into the garbage. I wish I knew someone who wanted these. They are worthless to me.
Did you get an ARF? If so, did you get an ESC with it? Also, I will give you $10 plus mailing for a couple of those BL motors if that works for you. $15 if you have three. BTW, the control horns are built to break immediately. So, it is a good thing they are broken. I threw mine away because they are junk.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Nov 10, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:44 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Ok- how many people are getting 'freebies' with the kit version? I only ask this because when I bought my first SS kit (ARF) back in March I got everything minus the TX and RX- ESC, lipo battery and the brushless motor (I paid for the brushless upgrade) were in the box. I ordered another one a week later and just got the plane only.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,384 Posts
BEVRC Skysurfer version 2 kit

Skysurfer Version 2 from BEVRC.
Here you go. Mine arrived today. Ordered Nov. 2nd, arrived Nov. 10th. Although there was no double boxing everything was fine.

Price was $65 shipped to the USA.

Each picture has an explanation.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 10, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:14 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
ARF vs RTF vs RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Ok- how many people are getting 'freebies' with the kit version? I only ask this because when I bought my first SS kit (ARF) back in March I got everything minus the TX and RX- ESC, lipo battery and the brushless motor (I paid for the brushless upgrade) were in the box. I ordered another one a week later and just got the plane only.
The exact same thing happened to me and I emailed BH several times to get an answer. Basically, we were lucky. But, here is what happened. BH got 100 SkyS planes in stock. Some Brushed, some BL. What they did just to fill the ARF orders was to take the transmitter, receiver, and charger out of the RTF boxes. So, some number of us got an RR SkyS. Cool, huh? Of course, a week later, when their ARF order came in, we got the "real" ARF plane. Probably, like you, I felt so lucky getting an RR plane that I ordered another one hoping that luck would repeat itself. Nope. I got what you got, too. I hope this helps. BTW, the RR plane is still flying great - no crashes yet after 50+ flights (lucky, I guess).
AJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
bevrc plane & acronym request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Skysurfer Version 2 from BEVRC.
Here you go. Mine arrived today. Ordered Nov. 2nd, arrived Nov. 10th. Although there was no double boxing everything was fine.

Each picture has an explanation.
It looks like the canopy is held on with magnets under the black lining of the plastic. True?
I don't know about anyone else, but, even if BH was exactly the same price, I think the bevrc plane is much cooler.
Unfortunately, I procrastinated too long and now bevrc is out of planes.
AJ
What are we going to use for an acronym for bevrc.com? That is hard for me to type. How about bcom or bv or ??? Suggestions anyone???
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
It looks like the canopy is held on with magnets under the black lining of the plastic. True?
I don't know about anyone else, but, even if BH was exactly the same price, I think the bevrc plane is much cooler.
Unfortunately, I procrastinated too long and now bevrc is out of planes.
AJ
What are we going to use for an acronym for bevrc.com? That is hard for me to type. How about bcom or bv or ??? Suggestions anyone???
AJ,

Magnets are used just the same as the original.

How about BEVRC?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Motor suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
I ordered the brushed. If I got the BL upgrade free I would use it.
I planned on putting in a BL anyway. I am looking for a motor that is better than stock. My WH has the 2212-06 motor 2200kv with a 6x4 prop.
I think that combo is a little too much for the WH, SkyS and all the other similar planes. Any suggestions for upgraded motor for the SkyS?

Jim
Yup. IMO, the best motor for all of the above is the 2835-2220 from HK. It is the most popular motor for the EZ*. Ask anyone on that thread. I have probably used 20-25 different motors on the WH, SkyS, EZ*, Clouds Fly (a bit tricky to put it on this one), and Hawk Sky. The 2835-2200 does the best job for my flying needs. But, I am sure there are many other "right" answers, too. That is just my .02 worth.
AJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
BEVRC suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

Magnets are used just the same as the original.

How about BEVRC?
That is probably the best because the ones I suggested would never be understood by a newcomer. Of course, a newcomer would not know what BH means either. Hmmmm... If anyone else has any ideas, let me know. Otherwise, I think you have the best.
AJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:41 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
That is probably the best because the ones I suggested would never be understood by a newcomer. Of course, a newcomer would not know what BH means either. Hmmmm... If anyone else has any ideas, let me know. Otherwise, I think you have the best.
AJ
How about just BEV...

or "The place Prof got his second plane"..

if not maybe.....ɯoɔ˙ɔɹʌǝq
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:17 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Yup. IMO, the best motor for all of the above is the 2835-2220 from HK. It is the most popular motor for the EZ*. Ask anyone on that thread. I have probably used 20-25 different motors on the WH, SkyS, EZ*, Clouds Fly (a bit tricky to put it on this one), and Hawk Sky. The 2835-2200 does the best job for my flying needs. But, I am sure there are many other "right" answers, too. That is just my .02 worth.
AJ
Ok, other than the heat sink it looks like this motor is about the same.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=5654
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:42 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,777 Posts
Questions for AJ or any others who have built these

1) How much plumbers goop should you use so that removing the motor doesn’t damage surrounding foam?

2) Strapping tape on ailerons, is that over the stock hinge or is that with real hinges underneath?

3)The stock control rods that run alongside the fuse, are those trustworthy? Should I use a thicker piano wire with a a bigger plastic tube? They seem tight as is and the wire is awfully thin?

4) Is anyone gluing the wings on permanently? What kind of velcro setup works?

5) Preferred servos?

Thanks
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Last edited by johnnyrocco123; Nov 10, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:58 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,384 Posts
Quote:
How much plumbers goop should you use so that removing the motor doesn’t damage surrounding foam?

Strapping tape on ailerons, is that over the stock hinge or is that with real hinges underneath?

The stock control rods that run alongside the fuse, are those trustworthy? Should I use a thicker piano wire with a a bigger plastic tube? They seem tight as is and the wire is awfully thin?

Thanks
Johnny,

Motor mounting with Plumbers Goop
You want to use enough to hold it in place. It doesn't take much . A bead on the front and back of the motor is sufficient. Lay down the bead inside before sliding in the motor. Position so the thrust angle intersects the CG. You just eyeball this since there is no simple way of doing it precisely. Let dry overnight before flying.

Hinging with 3M Extreme Tape
The tape is the hinge. Nothing else is used. To apply tape on the bottom of the control surfacce fold it up and forward flat then apply the tape. Work from the hinge line and outward. To apply on the top fold the control surface down as far as you can go then apply the tape. Bingo, a strong and flexible hinge.

Control Rods They are fine except for the rudder where the wire is unsupported for 3 or more inches. That is, it pulls just fine on the rudder but when pushed it flexes. The fix is to slide on a piece of 3 mm CF tube. (see below).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 10, 2010 at 10:50 PM.