HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Does Spektrum have one you can mount to your radio like the FSky one??
New DSMX DX7 and DX8 Radios support telemetry with separately available parts.

I have one of these:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mp_mAh_V2.html and you can clip it to any radio. It works well and it's pretty slick. I don't use it every flight and I move the TX from plane to plane.

It's most useful for:
1. Figuring out flight timer setting for new airplanes
2. Checking the performance of individual batteries to see if you have a cell that's under performing under load.
3. For the Bixler, where I'm gliding most of the time, letting me know when it's time to land.

You can get an add-on board to measure real time current and temperature but I haven't got one yet.

The Quanum looks like the same hardware as Frsky but I don't think they are interchangable.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
I dont see any exit hole for the antenna. Should I leave it inside the fuselage?
zaai is offline Find More Posts by zaai
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaai View Post
Hello Guys,

Im new on Rc Planes . Just got my Sky surfer this morning. After unboxing I notice the motor of the plane is not properly set " Not facing backward 100%. It's facing slightly on the right side. How can I adjust this? Or is this normal?

And about the glue. What glue should I use? Is elmer's glue good? Or Should I use mighty bond?

Best,
Alvin
if it is a V4 then you can replace the motor without removing the mount. I would use Gorilla glue or epoxy. I just had a minor crash where the canopy came off and was hit by the prop. I had used CA to cement the motor mount and it had broken loose.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
I don't think so, and I'm pretty sure the dx8 is the only one with built in telemetry functionality. The telemetry module is probably really expensive too. At least you get one packaged with the dx8.
The DX7s and DX8 have tlemetry but the DX6i does not.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I think the idea is that the CAP will supply the extra current required causing the draw from the BEC to not trigger a brown out, I am sure the idea here is not to run the RX while it is resetting, but to prevent it FROM resetting by giving a very small current cushion before the RX can brown out.
Exactly. You explained it much better than I did. Well done.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
I dont see any exit hole for the antenna. Should I leave it inside the fuselage?
assuming you have a 2.4ghz rx with 2 short antennae? fix them inside, at 90 degrees to each other (if they aren't already )
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Need more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
sorry for asking this maybe-already-been-asked question. What is the ESC setting for the Bixler with stock motor, 2200 mah batt. Im using EMAX 40a ESC with programming card....the settings are:
Ok..the settings are:
1. brake type: Off/soft/hard
2. timming mode: low/mid/hi
3. cut off mode: soft cut/cut off
4. start mode: fast/soft/very soft
5. gov mode: OFF/gov-low/gov-hi
6. Li-XX cells: auto/2 cells/3cells/XX cells
7. cut off voltage: low/mid/hi
It depends on what exact motor you have. What do you have? Also brushed or brushless makes a big difference. Otherwise, the info you have been given will destroy your ESC and LiPo.
AJ
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:59 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the fast reply. Weeew! At least the motor is normal. I was thinking of adjusting it. But decided to post first before doing anything stupid about my SS. Btw how can I know if I got the SS v4?

What glue should I use BTW? I still dont have idea on these. We only have a few options here in the philippines when it comes to glue. Do I need a very strong glue?
It doesn't matter. First, go fly the plane. You can learn about all that other stuff later. Just for your own info, you should read Page #1 - Posts 2 &3 of this thread. Oh, the only thing that you really NEED to check is the Center of Gravity on your plane. That info is there on page #1, too.
BTW- Everyone has different preferences for glue. I use Gorilla Glue and thin CA.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 28, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Need more info

Quote:
Hmmmm...... What radio you have? That is the only way to know for sure what to tell you.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 28, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the fast reply. Weeew! At least the motor is normal. I was thinking of adjusting it. But decided to post first before doing anything stupid about my SS. Btw how can I know if I got the SS v4?

What glue should I use BTW? I still dont have idea on these. We only have a few options here in the philippines when it comes to glue. Do I need a very strong glue?
Ah, uh... kamusta ka? Haha my gf is Filipino and I know almost no Tagalog hopefully I didn't say something I didn't mean.

The easiest way to tell if you have a v4 without knowing the other subtle differences is by looking at the nacelle (motor pod) on top. If there is a seam along the top then it's a v1-3. If the top of the nacelle is removable, but stuck on with double side tape then it's a v4. Another difference is the three piece wing spar.

As for glue, it depends on what you're doing. If you're talking about glue for the motor and you have a v4, then you don't need any because it's screwed into a wooden firewall in the nacelle.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
It depends on what exact motor you have. What do you have? Also brushed or brushless makes a big difference. Otherwise, the info you have been given will destroy your ESC and LiPo.
AJ
He said stock motor. I assumed stock brushless.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Le Crès
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
PVC motor mount

I have made a custom mount with a piece of 32mm plastic PVC tube found at a DIY store, and a disk of steel cut out of an old CD-Rom drive casing. The disk is held in place with 2 screws, so the motor is easily removable. I used a slice of the wooden mount to separate the motor from the steel disk. Time will tell if this design will stand the motor vibrations.

The center of gravity moved 5mm backwards due to the new motor position and is now at 65mm. I made a 20 minutes flight today and did not notice any change in the plane behaviour.
rigou is offline Find More Posts by rigou
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
im not sure why you would want to change the mounting for the stock motor!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
im not sure why you would want to change the mounting for the stock motor!!
Easier motor swap?
Can run a larger prop?
Better cooling?
Likes the "bling" factor?
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigou View Post
I have made a custom mount with a piece of 32mm plastic PVC tube found at a DIY store, and a disk of steel cut out of an old CD-Rom drive casing. The disk is held in place with 2 screws, so the motor is easily removable. I used a slice of the wooden mount to separate the motor from the steel disk. Time will tell if this design will stand the motor vibrations.

The center of gravity moved 5mm backwards due to the new motor position and is now at 65mm. I made a 20 minutes flight today and did not notice any change in the plane behaviour.
Excellent idea, That is exactly what I will use to mount my 28mm inrunner. Thanks.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)