HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
I have been trying very hard to get my bixler to tip stall, but won't do it. My other planes have terrible tip stall tendancies, my dynam catalina and starmax MX2.

I think maybe people having tip stall tendancies may have one/both warped wing with incorrect washout, this is not uncommon with these foamies, which will bend and warp in heat and with pressure eg laying one wing against something for a long period of time. And quality control in the factories aren't high either, so may be like it from new.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:11 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
I have been trying very hard to get my bixler to tip stall, but won't do it. My other planes have terrible tip stall tendancies, my dynam catalina and starmax MX2.

I think maybe people having tip stall tendancies may have one/both warped wing with incorrect washout, this is not uncommon with these foamies, which will bend and warp in heat and with pressure eg laying one wing against something for a long period of time. And quality control in the factories aren't high either, so may be like it from new.
Don't forget weight, I was flying FPV, she was nearly twice as heavy as stock, with vTX, camera, antenna etc all on the fuse, this alone will add to the willingness of it to tip stall too.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Don't forget weight, I was flying FPV, she was nearly twice as heavy as stock, with vTX, camera, antenna etc all on the fuse, this alone will add to the willingness of it to tip stall too.
I would expect weight to only effect the speed of stall, not change tip stall tendencies. Unless the weight isn't balanced, one heavy wing will be bad
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
I would expect weight to only effect the speed of stall, not change tip stall tendencies. Unless the weight isn't balanced, one heavy wing will be bad
Well it's weight above and below CG, I also had 109 grams of landing gear sticking a good 6 inches below the airframe as well. I don't think any of these things by themselves are going to guarantee a tip stall, but I would say the combination makes it more possible.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Well it's weight above and below CG, I also had 109 grams of landing gear sticking a good 6 inches below the airframe as well. I don't think any of these things by themselves are going to guarantee a tip stall, but I would say the combination makes it more possible.
Ah yes, true true
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Ah yes, true true
And it took a flair from a stall recovery even then for mine to do it rofl, I have never noticed a tip stall tendency in normal flight.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
To keep the discussion going that would mean a slight waste in lift?
I would say any lift is good lift
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Playing around with some props over the weekend I think ive found my preferred prop for the Bix, after watching the video's the difference in props really shows, I was using the APC 6x4 but the MasterAirscrew 5.5x4.5 was so much better, a lot smoother and less noise (before anyone says it.....they are both balanced exactly the same) first half MasterAirscrew second, half APC
prop test (2 min 2 sec)
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Last edited by Simon2504; Mar 20, 2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:42 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
For those using the turnigy D2826 2200kV motor, what timing did you find works best? I have a 30A plush ESC and 6x4 or 6x3 prop.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:58 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Playing around with some props over the weekend I think ive found my preferred prop for the Bix, after watching the video's the difference in props really shows, I was using the APC 6x4 but the MasterAirscrew 5.5x4.5 was so much better, a lot smoother and less noise (before anyone says it.....they are both balanced exactly the same) first half APC second, half MasterAirscrew
http://youtu.be/kiXa5HT_TwQ
You running the stock motor with that 5.5x4.5 prop? Where did you buy it?
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Playing around with some props over the weekend I think ive found my preferred prop for the Bix, after watching the video's the difference in props really shows, I was using the APC 6x4 but the MasterAirscrew 5.5x4.5 was so much better.
Hm, that looks interesting. Looks like it goes into my next Hobby King order :-)
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
It's available, for example, here.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
Last edited by mandevil; Mar 20, 2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:27 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Yes that was with stock motor and mine came from hobbyking
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:39 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Rebuilt my bixler tonight, new Turnigy D2826 2200kV motor, 6x3E prop (for now), 30A Turnigy Plush ESC, Turnigy UBEC, frsky rx and tx module in my 9X transmitter.

Ill be test flying with new setup and trimming, then re-adding my FPV stuff
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,029 Posts
AJ,
Might be time to update the thread name. Have you seen the new LRP Upstream F-1400.
Looks familiar!!

LURCH.
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101