HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
While interesting, this has nothing to do with the SkyS/Bix. In a fast moving thread like this one, using almost a whole page of OT is not good for the health of the thread. Please start another thread addressing this subject. I, for one, would like to know more about this topic, too.
AJ

I was only asking if anyone has ever done it before was all, and i totally disagree with you,everybody uses a prop on a skys/ bixler,right
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Mar 15, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: wrong phrasing.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Re: Hinge Gluing

I've seen mention of oiling the pin to prevent CA from sticking.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
I've seen mention of oiling the pin to prevent CA from sticking.
I use fibre tape,BUT,if you live in a cold area,try using medical tape that is made from a thin cloth like substance,that way it is less prone to getting stiff in colder temps,so there would be no need for oil if you go that rout.
Last edited by Limited flyer; Mar 15, 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: wrong advice first time
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Hey AJ,Imay have started the the ot, you can't blame me for getting answers i never asked the questions for, I only asked about the prop.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Give just those choices, CA should be avoided totally because it has a very nasty habit of "wicking" directly into the hinge pivot point and making the hinge inoperable. So, #2 and #3 are not worth considering. #1 can also expand and wick into the hinge also. Therefore, by process of elimination, #4 would be the only choice left. However, I suggest that you drill a 1/16" hole through the front and back of the hinge and push a round toothpick through the hole and use a speck of hot glue to hold the toothpick in place (after cutting off the toothpick, of course). Another option is to not use the hinges you mentioned at all and use 3M Extreme tape to fashion your own hinge. The tape method is what most of use for a number of reasons.
AJ
One thing nice about using MEDIUM ca is it doesn't "run" into an area you don't want it to, if used sparingly. Ca hinges work very well also.

Now, no more toothpick talk,... that's as off topic as prop talk.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Been watching this debate for a bit - nobody's mentioned UHU-POR yet..

Cut the hinge opening, insert tweezers (or a toothpick!), drip a drop of UHU, slip your hinge in (ooerr missus) and voila.

I regard UHU as non-gun hot glue - much simpler to apply, but a bit more fluid.
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
One thing nice about using MEDIUM ca is it doesn't "run" into an area you don't want it to, if used sparingly. Ca hinges work very well also.

Now, no more toothpick talk,... that's as off topic as prop talk.
Since when s prop talk off topic??
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:07 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
servos,horns mounting method

Hiya folks,
Sorry for asking this maybe-already-has-been-asked-before question:
Im going to start my build (HK Bixler)...so..what good/best method to mount the servos & horns so that its serviceable. Thx.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
Hiya folks,
Im going to start my build (HK Bixler)...so..what good/best method to mount the servos & horns so that its serviceable. Thx.
Low to medium temp hot glue.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
More thoughts on Sky Surfer Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Thanks for your answer!
My selection is what I have on hand, and I also have the epoxy but didn't mention, because I think that will not bond great with the 2 materials.
I was following tip:
"29. Replace the foam hinges with larger hinges if you want to really make them work well. HERE are the hinges I recommend (3 on each aileron)."
from the 1st page! So should I ignore this tip?

All the Best,

Geotete
No. Ultimately, there are many "right" answers to the hinge question.. It is a question of what works best for you. Again, the most popular method that is used is the "tape" hinge. Even that has many different methods and types of tape to use. The #29 that you refer to is the method that I use simply because it gives the least amount of resistance to the aileron movement (rudder and elevator, too). Each method has pros and cons. Whichever one you decide, please post the pics of your build. It is always neat to see each persons methodology.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Prop variables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Since when s prop talk off topic??
Prop talk isn't OT. The method you suggested is way off topic as it doesn't even exist yet for our applications. I consider only those things that are within reach of the average hobbyist to be relavent and worthy of discussion. Besides, considering how fast thread moves, anything that is NOT directly applicable to the SkyS/Bixler is generally OT IMO.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Prop talk isn't OT. The method you suggested is way off topic as it doesn't even exist yet for our applications.
AJ
Stereolithography is way off topic.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Another suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
Hiya folks,
CA for the horns and hot glue for the servos. However, there is nothing wrong with hot glue for both (since you already have it heated up.)
AJ
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Prop talk isn't OT. The method you suggested is way off topic as it doesn't even exist yet for our applications. I consider only those things that are within reach of the average hobbyist to be relavent and worthy of discussion. Besides, considering how fast thread moves, anything that is NOT directly applicable to the SkyS/Bixler is generally OT IMO.
AJ
What ever.Did you see the link olthump left,they made a whole plain like that,Idon;t think a prop is out of the realm of impossibility.
Last edited by Limited flyer; Mar 16, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:21 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
Quote:
CA for the horns and hot glue for the servos. However, there is nothing wrong with hot glue for both (since you already have it heated up.)
AJ
ok..we glue them...how to take them out in case of replacing them?...
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY