SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:06 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
I have used several of these UBEC's, work well and cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-3A-UBEC-5V-6V-max-5A-Lowest-RF-Noise-BE-HWBEC-/300671054646?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&ha sh=item4601643336
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:09 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Try that link again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-3A...item4601643336
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:26 PM
Suomi, Uusimaa, Pusula
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
flaps mod

The Brixler with flaps (7 min 58 sec)

Here's some video from test flight with flaps. "because i'm cheap" I used the stock aileron servos for flaps. I currently have only 1 position flaps (full down position), still figuring out how to configure correct mixes with eurgle 9x.
AHell is offline Find More Posts by AHell
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHell View Post
http://youtu.be/g6l6CFfIg6c

Here's some video from test flight with flaps. "because i'm cheap" I used the stock aileron servos for flaps. I currently have only 1 position flaps (full down position), still figuring out how to configure correct mixes with eurgle 9x.
Are you talking about Flapperons? I tried them but the Bix's ailerons are too small to allow for any good aileron control while deployed in my opinion.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:33 PM
Suomi, Uusimaa, Pusula
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Are you talking about Flapperons? I tried them but the Bix's ailerons are too small to allow for any good aileron control while deployed in my opinion.
Separate ailerons and flaps. I used leftover stock servos as I changed the aileron servos for hxt900's before.
AHell is offline Find More Posts by AHell
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
I tried Flapperons last week and scared myself to death when I came in to land with flaps downs and had zero effect from ailerons!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
I tried Flapperons last week and scared myself to death when I came in to land with flaps downs and had zero effect from ailerons!!!!
Yeah, you only want to give it like 50% deflection down to still have travel for aileron, BUT the travel is so small that it barely wants to roll the plane like that .
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:53 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Mix Rudder with Ailerons. Works well for me.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:02 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
jrjr's advice is still $0.02 worth. The remaining $0.23 is NY tax!

Ted
Isn't that the truth, and it's not getting any better either!!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger and get the Bixler RTF as my first RC plane ever. I have been playing with RealFlight6 for over 100 hours now, and I am quite confident that I will manage to fly under good conditions without anything major happening.

Since my ultimate goal is to migrate to long distance FPV, I would love to enhance the capabilities of my Bixler to glide. Any recommendations to make it a glider? Maybe a folding prop to reduce drag when the prop is not on?

Thank you.
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatomist View Post
I am about to pull the trigger and get the Bixler RTF as my first RC plane ever. I have been playing with RealFlight6 for over 100 hours now, and I am quite confident that I will manage to fly under good conditions without anything major happening.

Since my ultimate goal is to migrate to long distance FPV, I would love to enhance the capabilities of my Bixler to glide. Any recommendations to make it a glider? Maybe a folding prop to reduce drag when the prop is not on?

Thank you.
She pretty much is a glider, and glides just fine, even heavy she will glide well, just sink a little faster.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2012
105 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Anatomist is offline Find More Posts by Anatomist
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:01 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:

Thank you.
In fact it glides too well. I have had to put flaps on mine to get it to land where I want it to.
I would recomend that you get the kit version, as the hardware is crap as others will also testify.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
"I would recomend that you get the kit version, as the hardware is crap as others will also testify."

Amen to that!!! Can I get a witness?
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:11 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
WELCOME to the Thread!

Quote:

Thank you.
The very best thing you can do is just fly it. You will discover that all those hours you spent on a sim will just about guarantee you a trouble-free first flight. Just one thing though - Please make sure the CG is correct. Then, check it again. Obviously, it is VERY important. Again, welcome.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker