HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:02 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Its Here!

The SS arrived here last night. The outside shipping box was a little dinged up, but the inside box and its contents arrived just fine. Now the build begins!

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:36 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
The SS arrived here last night. The outside shipping box was a little dinged up, but the inside box and its contents arrived just fine. Now the build begins!

Jack
What motor you using? I was looking at the headsup r/c 2200kv inrunner, is this a perfect fit or are mods necessary?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:39 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
What motor you using? I was looking at the headsup r/c 2200kv inrunner, is this a perfect fit or are mods necessary?
It is a drop in. I glued mine in with Plumber's Goop.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Motor suggestion

Quote:
Just bought a Sky surfer ARF from Banana.

Looking at the front end of the thread and gettign ideas for mods. Great ideas!

Looking for a motor, either HC or maybe an ARC. Suggestions? I want good power but obviously don't want to compromise the airframe.

Thanks in advance.
+1 for Prof100. He is giving great advice IMO. I would also take his suggestion and get the combo. It will make life a lot easier.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:38 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
+1 for Prof100. He is giving great advice IMO. I would also take his suggestion and get the combo. It will make life a lot easier.
AJ
The ARF is already in route. I don't like combos becaus I am particular about ESC's and servos.

You glue the motor in? That's interesting, I figured it would bolt in. I guess I will understand it better when the airfrmae arrives.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,864 Posts
Quote:
The ARF is already in route. I don't like combos becaus I am particular about ESC's and servos.

You glue the motor in? That's interesting, I figured it would bolt in. I guess I will understand it better when the airfrmae arrives.
I understand, use your favorite ESC, just set the timing for an inrunner.

The stock motor is glued in. Just use a glue that's somewhat flexible should you want to replace or upgrade to another motor.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:47 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
I use this motor on my SS's and a couple of the EZ's. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4201
It gives good performance for the price. I've got about 6 of them now and everyone is really rough (bearing sound) out of the box, but the longer the motor runs the quieter it gets. I use it with a 30amp ESC, because I happen to have a bunch of them, and I'm not a hotroder, so I've never had one burn out.

My two cents!

Jack
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:54 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
It is a drop in. I glued mine in with Plumber's Goop.
Just a thought, when I assemble the fuselage, I don't glue the halves around the motor pod above and below. I put the motor in and then use white duct tape/or/3M extreme packing tape, to hold the pod together. Then I can slip the motor in and out without any problems. My oldest build this way is now 4 years old and still going strong. The motor needs to be tight though which all of mine are.

Jack
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:28 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Just a thought, when I assemble the fuselage, I don't glue the halves around the motor pod above and below. I put the motor in and then use white duct tape/or/3M extreme packing tape, to hold the pod together. Then I can slip the motor in and out without any problems. My oldest build this way is now 4 years old and still going strong. The motor needs to be tight though which all of mine are.

Jack
So no glue, just shove it in there?

I have that 2700kv motor. What prop you using? I used to use that motor on a 6x4 sport in a Stryker. I would probably go with something smaller on that kv.

also, what the biggest battery that will fit? What mah are most guys using?
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:14 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:

Jack
Your motor doesn't twist in the pod?......or haven't you ever pulled the motor out and see all the leads twisted together?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:56 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
So no glue, just shove it in there?

I have that 2700kv motor. What prop you using? I used to use that motor on a 6x4 sport in a Stryker. I would probably go with something smaller on that kv.

also, what the biggest battery that will fit? What mah are most guys using?
That is correct no glue at all around the pod. The trick is to be sure that the motor is secure in the pod. A couple of occasions I've used a couple wraps of blue painter tape on the end of the motor where the prop is just to get more bite. Its solid as a rock. Remember too I'm not a hotliner type of flying guy. 3/4 throttle climbs and half throttle cruising is my style of flying.

I mostly use the Sonic-Tronic 6x4 folder. I do have some APC 6x4's too. To me the Sonic-Tronic seems quieter. As far as batteries go, I mostly use 3s 2200mAh from Hobby City. My first totally stock ES I use a 1200 2s with a couple washers for balance purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Your motor doesn't twist in the pod?......or haven't you ever pulled the motor out and see all the leads twisted together?
Gene,
Nope, the motors have never twisted or moved. I've had to replace the tape when I used the 3M product, (tape discolors and starts breaking down because of the heat and sun around here). I've redone three so far now using white duct tape and here has been no sign of any motor movement..

Jack
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:07 PM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
266 Posts
Newbie Questions

My RTF Sky S arrived today in good shape except the transmitter had a small piece of plastic snapped off where the antenna comes out of the case. Hopefully that won't cause any problem.

I'm totally new to this so here's a couple of questions:

1--there is a small connector with a small loop of wire that
appears to fit in the position marked with red on the
receiver. If that is where it goes when do I use it?

2--Does the Y cable that comes with the small parts
included plug into pos. 1 in the receiver?-(there is a
small tag with number 1 on it loose in the bag)

3--Is it OK to position the receiver antenna inside the fuse?

I gather from many posts on this forum that I should at least replace the ESC & control horns before I attempt to fly. Does HobbyPartz have good components I can get fairly quickly?

Thanks for any suggestions--I wouldn't even be attempting this without the help from you guys.

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:41 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
WELCOME to the THREAD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
My RTF Sky S arrived today in good shape except the transmitter had a small piece of plastic snapped off where the antenna comes out of the case. Hopefully that won't cause any problem.

I gather from many posts on this forum that I should at least replace the ESC & control horns before I attempt to fly. Does HobbyPartz have good components I can get fairly quickly?

Thanks for any suggestions--I wouldn't even be attempting this without the help from you guys.
Bob

I never bought an RTF - I bought 2 ARF planes. So, I will take a guess at the first two.

1. Probably.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Absolutely. ARF or RTF makes no difference here.
Use the ESC that you have for now. Control horns can be purchased at your LHS for expediency. You could purchase a couple of THESE. But, the shipping would really hurt.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:53 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
I just picked up the 2200kv from head up R/C. Turns out my Turnigy is blown.

I think I will go with a 6x4 Sport, some HS-55's, Turnigy 40 amp ESC.

I'll try 2200mah and 1600mah packs.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 05:48 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I never bought an RTF - I bought 2 ARF planes. So, I will take a guess at the first two.

1. Probably.
2. Yes.
3. Yes. Absolutely. ARF or RTF makes no difference here.
Use the ESC that you have for now. Control horns can be purchased at your LHS for expediency. You could purchase a couple of THESE. But, the shipping would really hurt.
AJ

Probably? What kind of answer is that?

Hmmm.

1. sounds like a bind plug used to bind the rx to the tx, then removed before flight.
2, sounds like a y cable for the aileron servos.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE