Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:21 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
I've learned so much lurking around here, thought I'd post a few pictures of the flap install I did the other day on my SS. Not too much detail.

One thing of note is I was leery of cutting the servo flush with the wing bottom with it being so close to a main stress point (fuse) and next to the spar. So I compromised - this wing has so much lift it won't matter. I did inset the control horn else the screws for the backing plate would be too short, set with hot glue, shoved pins into the screw before the glue set else getting the screws in would be difficult.

Also, I chose to orient the control rod and connector this way because the wire size fit the control horn nice and snug, same with the connector on the servo. Had I gone the other way, it would have required drilling the servo arm and the connector would have been sloppy on the horn. YMMV. My first such mod of cutting a perfectly good wing. Always learning.

I used a couple of Spektrum S75 servos.
When I added flaps I buried the servos flush. What with the servos and the glue, it makes it the re-enforceing for the wing.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:24 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Are u using a single float and outriggers? Or 2x floats like a normal float plane? I am thinking of making some outriggers and an add-on to the fuse to make a hull and raise it further from the water, tail included. I'll just try and see how it goes, its not gonna cost me much at all so I don't have much to lose or waste.
2x floats for now.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
The float mod has already been done. Check out this video:

EasyStar Floatplane on the Mississipi River in Winona, MN (3 min 7 sec)
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
[QUOTE=Maddmax;20637336]The float mod has already been done. Check out this video:QUOTE]

This is just a well sealed standard fuse with 2 fake engine nacelles used as "tip"
floats. You don't even need those. Seal the fuse tight and it should float ok.
Now as for the looks? Also, landing gear and float combo?
Also I would like to have more height above the water to protect electronics!
Some of you have $1,000 or more riding on these planes!
Pretty cool to see one on water!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Are u using a single float and outriggers? Or 2x floats like a normal float plane? I am thinking of making some outriggers and an add-on to the fuse to make a hull and raise it further from the water, tail included. I'll just try and see how it goes, its not gonna cost me much at all so I don't have much to lose or waste.
Go for it! Make video, cool
It will not take much, with a well sealed fuse it should float on its own. I am just concerned about keeping the onboard equipement away from the water.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
OK, if you want to keep your plane completely dry, try this:

New floats, they work great! (ends with an crash) (0 min 58 sec)
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:41 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
The float mod has already been done. Check out this video:QUOTE]

This is just a well sealed standard fuse with 2 fake engine nacelles used as "tip"
floats. You don't even need those. Seal the fuse tight and it should float ok.
Except if you didn't have anything to keep the bottom of the wings from getting wet, the servos on the wings might not like it too much.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Except if you didn't have anything to keep the bottom of the wings from getting wet, the servos on the wings might not like it too much.
That's right!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
[QUOTE=Maddmax;20640362]OK, if you want to keep your plane completely dry, try this:QUOTE]

Go back and look at post #12764 !
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
I agree with you once more, I'd hate to have that happen!
Here it is, He did not have ailerons! What if?...
At least foam floats, that's a good thing!
Water landing the Multiplex EasyStar (0 min 44 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:19 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
My flights of the day

Bixler Flights 2-4-2012 (6 min 23 sec)

3 flights edited to about 6 minutes, my second 'edit' video. Let me know what you all think!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
My flights of the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAqvEepwS8

3 flights edited to about 6 minutes, my second 'edit' video. Let me know what you all think!
This one was better then your long ones. Do you know why the video seemed to bounce around a lot. The time / date stamp kept dropping below the YouTube window.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:47 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
This one was better then your long ones. Do you know why the video seemed to bounce around a lot. The time / date stamp kept dropping below the YouTube window.
Because of the youtube stabilizer system.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, NJ, Deptford
Joined Nov 2011
12 Posts
finally got a chance to maiden my Bixler today.. It's been weeks waiting for a low wind day on one of my days off! The bixler flew like a dream, other than being tail heavy and needing a lot of down trim, but I will double check the CG, which I think I neglected to really check..I was too eager to get to the field! I am using a 2200mah lipo, and removed the washers.

I also need to revisit the wing attachment method.. I used the 3M dual lock, and the Velcro adhesion was way better than the adhesive that held the pieces to the wing. So I might they a different method, or perhaps gluing the dual lock to the wings instead of just relying on it's own adhesive.

I may add some structure to the wings.. I did a couple of "high G" turns and I could see the wings flexing quite a bit under the stress.

All in all, I LOVE this ship. Very happy that I got it.
NJSoundman is offline Find More Posts by NJSoundman
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSoundman View Post
finally got a chance to maiden my Bixler today.. It's been weeks waiting for a low wind day on one of my days off! The bixler flew like a dream, other than being tail heavy and needing a lot of down trim, but I will double check the CG, which I think I neglected to really check..I was too eager to get to the field! I am using a 2200mah lipo, and removed the washers.

I also need to revisit the wing attachment method.. I used the 3M dual lock, and the Velcro adhesion was way better than the adhesive that held the pieces to the wing. So I might they a different method, or perhaps gluing the dual lock to the wings instead of just relying on it's own adhesive.

I may add some structure to the wings.. I did a couple of "high G" turns and I could see the wings flexing quite a bit under the stress.

All in all, I LOVE this ship. Very happy that I got it.
Congratulations on your maiden!
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 03:17 PM.