HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=399
Many of you have seen this clear belly pan and clear canopy set for the Easy Star by Park Flyer Plastics. Considering most people here cover the bottom of their fuse with tape, the belly pan should be something that many people would want. I was told by the person there that he would be willing to make one for the SkyS/Bixler. Is there anyone willing to send their fuse to him to create the mould for them? I don't have one anymore (will eventually). He's near Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas. Maybe you'd get a free belly pan out of it?
Heck I will order a replacement fuselage and have it mailed direct to him. PM me his info if that will work.
Scottventures is offline Find More Posts by Scottventures
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:09 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Bixler at RC Field 02-03-2012 (4 min 29 sec)

My first 'edited' video instead of full length flight. At the local club field, 3 flights, 30 minutes condensed to less then 5 minutes , let me know what you think.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:19 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND STUPID,But has any one out there been sent up in there ss/bix via tow plane,just for kicks and giggles?
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Feb 03, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Dec 2007
52 Posts
FYI/FWIW/FOR GIGGLES
SKY SURFER/AKA BIXLER is back in stock in kit form at Hobby King USA warehouse.
Apparantly the SS V1, at the best price I've been able to find...Which is always a good thing.
HELPLIS
HELPLIS is offline Find More Posts by HELPLIS
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:29 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helplis View Post
fyi/fwiw/for giggles
sky surfer/aka bixler is back in stock in kit form at hobby king usa warehouse.
Apparantly the ss v1, at the best price i've been able to find...which is always a good thing.
Helplis
w.t.f??
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:44 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijMfwKsFsg

My first 'edited' video instead of full length flight. At the local club field, 3 flights, 30 minutes condensed to less then 5 minutes , let me know what you think.
Nice edit Mat, the area looks like the old Somoa drag strip... used to race out there in the 70's.
Paul
gtoguy is offline Find More Posts by gtoguy
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:02 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy View Post
Nice edit Mat, the area looks like the old Somoa drag strip... used to race out there in the 70's.
Paul
That's the one.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:11 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijMfwKsFsg

Good going. My only suggestion would be not to run stabilization on it. Or if you really want to, then crop it down small enough to get rid of the edges jumping all over. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:35 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
One of these being an add on, removable for amphibious use.
Any progress on this mod? I am very interested in making my bixler multi-roled, so removable amphibious addon would be great, and I really would like a seaplane. I am close to pulling the trigger on either the dynam PBY catalina from HK or smaller icon at HK, but if I can get the bixler going on water I might not have to convince my girlfriend that another plane is necessary
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:51 AM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Any progress on this mod? I am very interested in making my bixler multi-roled, so removable amphibious addon would be great, and I really would like a seaplane. I am close to pulling the trigger on either the dynam PBY catalina from HK or smaller icon at HK, but if I can get the bixler going on water I might not have to convince my girlfriend that another plane is necessary
I am working on it. I myself love the catalina and have been watching that kit since it was sold with brushed motors way back. Brushless now!
I am working on having floats and landing gear use the same frame for easy switch from land to water. As soon as weather permits, i will try and see if it floats!!! My ideal for the SS would be on large center float like the catalina with 1 foam wheel embedded. Fiberglass work coming up I guess... I am working on two other projects at the same time! I also want to use the same floats on 2 other planes, one of which is one of my 2 day old project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post20635511
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:00 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I am working on it. I myself love the catalina and have been watching that kit since it was sold with brushed motors way back. Brushless now!
I am working on having floats and landing gear use the same frame for easy switch from land to water. As soon as weather permits, i will try and see if it floats!!! My ideal for the SS would be on large center float like the catalina with 1 foam wheel embedded. Fiberglass work coming up I guess... I am working on two other projects at the same time! I also want to use the same floats on 2 other planes, one of which is one of my 2 day old project:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post20635511
Sweet, well I await your mods for inspiration for myself, I might try and use some leftover fuselage from a dead FA/18 to make some floats, and use them like outrigger/sponsons. Something simple and removable. But I'll try and resist the urge to buy the catalina for now.. I have videos of it open in other tabs on my browser ATM haha
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Sweet, well I await your mods for inspiration for myself, I might try and use some leftover fuselage from a dead FA/18 to make some floats, and use them like outrigger/sponsons. Something simple and removable. But I'll try and resist the urge to buy the catalina for now.. I have videos of it open in other tabs on my browser ATM haha
If my mod works as it is supposed too, you'll be able to make your SS/Bixler amphibious for less than a movie and popcorn!
But first, I have to test it. Hopefuly it is not going to go "submarine" on me!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:17 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Well, foam floats, so hopefully it won't be a total disaster lol!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Well, foam floats, so hopefully it won't be a total disaster lol!
Sorry, this post and pics will be posted on the thread they deserve...
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 10, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:13 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Are u using a single float and outriggers? Or 2x floats like a normal float plane? I am thinking of making some outriggers and an add-on to the fuse to make a hull and raise it further from the water, tail included. I'll just try and see how it goes, its not gonna cost me much at all so I don't have much to lose or waste.