HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
First real FPV Flight! I owe it to everyone on this thread that helped me to get my plane to this point .

Bixler FPV: First Real FPV Flight! (10 min 30 sec)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
[QUOTE=meowzy;20620353]I'm totally new to this.. set everything up and did pre-flight checks, about 3-4 minutes into maiden flight I noticed the motor rpm dropping and losing altitude but servos were still responding.. I managed to land it, unplugged the battery to check the voltage and it was at 10.6v (3s lipo) .. plugged the battery back, rx light flashed once and a quick twitch in the servos and then nothing happened, no beeps, no control......

Where did you purchase the plane?
I have not tried the tx/rx that came in the RTF yet. I need all the radios I can for the kids...I will post if I have any problem and solutions if any. What Brand is it?
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Landing Compilation Video!

Landings Compilation (1 min 19 sec)
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:34 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Nice.
and Congrats!
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Thanks, working on it! in the mean time I posted my tail mod here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586435
When I do the wings I will use the same priciple. As soon as i do it will post pics and instructions..
Nice removable tail mod. Don't you wish they came that way?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:38 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,560 Posts
AJ,

Check out the removable tail mod that Lafayette did. It might deserve posting a link at the beginning.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586435

Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:54 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
[QUOTE=Prof100;20623703]AJ,

Check out the removable tail mod that Lafayette did. It might deserve posting a link at the beginning.

Thanks!
Like I said, i have others things that I will post as they are accomplished.
I just got the plane last week and I want to do all I can come up with to make it better, with clear explanations on how I did it. Can't do paint inside and freezing temps an 50 mph winds outside have stopped me in my tracks!
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Feb 02, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:57 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzy View Post
I'm totally new to this.. set everything up and did pre-flight checks, about 3-4 minutes into maiden flight I noticed the motor rpm dropping and losing altitude but servos were still responding.. I managed to land it, unplugged the battery to check the voltage and it was at 10.6v (3s lipo) .. plugged the battery back, rx light flashed once and a quick twitch in the servos and then nothing happened, no beeps, no control.

2 days later I plugged the battery back in ( and has not been charged since) and everything is working except non of the servos are centering correctly. I charged the battery to full capacity and then played around with the servos to try and center them for about 30 min, adjusting trim on tx with no success (they are waay off to one side) and plugging/unplugging the battery about 10-15 times... and then randomly everything stopped working again. The ESC is not hot and I measured the bec output and its at 5v, so the rx is getting power. the servos make a quick sound but that's about it, I have no servo/motor control again..
I can re-bind the rx to the tx however with the bind cable. When the cable is plugged into the rx it will start flashing fast and then stops when the tx is turned on. The battery is at 11.1v when everything stopped.
Do i need new ESC, rx? I really dont know whats going on here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It's difficult to diagnose these things without being able to see it in person but I'm inclined to think it's definitely your rx or esc. I'm leaning toward your rx given your symptoms. One thing you might try is to plug your lipo in with your TX completely off. There's a chance that your transmitter is causing the problem. If your servos are pegged with the transmitter off then you can be pretty well assured that your rx or esc needs to be replaced.

I assume you're using an rtf TX/rx. I was tempted to go the rtf route when I first got into this hobby, but I'm glad that I plunked down a couple hundred bucks for a decent radio up front. I've had zero issues with my dx6i and it offers some basic programming functionality. If you find that any of the radio components are shot, I would consider investing in a good radio. The cost of brand name receivers may be high but if you go spektrum there are cheap alternatives. Although I use an AR6210 in my SS, the orangerx dsm2 receivers from hobbyking work fine for park ranges.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
It's difficult to diagnose these things without being able to see it in person but I'm inclined to think it's definitely your rx or esc. I'm leaning toward your rx given your symptoms. One thing you might try is to plug your lipo in with your TX completely off. There's a chance that your transmitter is causing the problem. If your servos are pegged with the transmitter off then you can be pretty well assured that your rx or esc needs to be replaced...

Thanks for the reply... By servos being "pegged" do you mean when they dont center? Everything started working again so I tried what you said, with the tx off, non of the servos center correctly.
Im using the flysky 4ch that came with the rtf. I realize now buying rtf was a bad mistake..
meowzy is offline Find More Posts by meowzy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:56 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Do you know that 12.6 is full charge on a 3s?
Can't tell from your voltage data.
11.1 is usually where mine is when I come down.
The 10.6 you spoke of is quite low.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:37 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Do you know that 12.6 is full charge on a 3s?
Can't tell from your voltage data.
11.1 is usually where mine is when I come down.
The 10.6 you spoke of is quite low.
10.6 is lower than I normaly go but within most manufacters specs.
Sanyo (leading supplier) rates their cells as having a range of 3.0 to 4.2 volts. To prolong battery life most R/C suppliers recommend 3.2 volts as the lower limit (9.6 for a 3 cell pack).
Way more info than you will ever need on Lipo's at: http://www.rfcafe.com/references/ele...ry-li-poly.htm
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Don't forget the difference between load and no load cell voltage, 3.2 is safest low under LOAD voltage.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzy View Post
Thanks for the reply... By servos being "pegged" do you mean when they dont center? Everything started working again so I tried what you said, with the tx off, non of the servos center correctly.
Im using the flysky 4ch that came with the rtf. I realize now buying rtf was a bad mistake..
I didn't ask before because I assumed it wasn't it wasnt the case since you'd flown your plane but is it possible that your servo arms are in the incorrect position? Are you still unable to move your servos? If not, can you move them in both directions about 30 degrees? If you can, then you need to reattach the arms when the servos are in their neutral position. Whenever I get new servos, I center them before attaching the arms.

If they only have full range of motion in one direction or don't move at all, something is up and I would follow my previous advice.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,063 Posts
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=399
Many of you have seen this clear belly pan and clear canopy set for the Easy Star by Park Flyer Plastics. Considering most people here cover the bottom of their fuse with tape, the belly pan should be something that many people would want. I was told by the person there that he would be willing to make one for the SkyS/Bixler. Is there anyone willing to send their fuse to him to create the mould for them? I don't have one anymore (will eventually). He's near Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas. Maybe you'd get a free belly pan out of it?
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Last edited by Brian_; Feb 03, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:10 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Flap install

I've learned so much lurking around here, thought I'd post a few pictures of the flap install I did the other day on my SS. Not too much detail.

One thing of note is I was leery of cutting the servo flush with the wing bottom with it being so close to a main stress point (fuse) and next to the spar. So I compromised - this wing has so much lift it won't matter. I did inset the control horn else the screws for the backing plate would be too short, set with hot glue, shoved pins into the screw before the glue set else getting the screws in would be difficult.

Also, I chose to orient the control rod and connector this way because the wire size fit the control horn nice and snug, same with the connector on the servo. Had I gone the other way, it would have required drilling the servo arm and the connector would have been sloppy on the horn. YMMV. My first such mod of cutting a perfectly good wing. Always learning.

I used a couple of Spektrum S75 servos.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata